Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Should I be winter feeding the bees?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2014
5:48 PM

Post #9750836

I have been doing a little experiment to see which birds like which birdseed. Today was fairly warm, and I was surprised to see the bees going nuts over the cracked corn. They weren't attracted to anything else, including the whole corn and fruit. Should I be feeding them? I would need something that won't be damaged by night temps in the teens Fahrenheit or lower.
This area is basically a housing development in the dry prairie. I am pretty sure there are no beekeepers anywhere around. I have never tried following these gals home, but I assume they live in somebodies attic unbeknownst to the home owner.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2014
10:29 AM

Post #9751943

Or a treetrunk- revived by the warmth. Cracked corn, suggests they were going for the sweet kernal- so are prob needing sometbing to eat. Not an expert on feeding bees, but sounds like I would be Karo thickening some peaches for em...

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2014
7:10 AM

Post #9752550

I put out a pie plate of glass beads covered with 2:1 sugar water next to the spilled cracked corn. They didn't want it. They weren't interested in the two blooming house plants I sat out either. My lemon tree isn't in bloom right now - but the winter bees love it when it is blooming, so maybe they just weren't bee plants.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2014
9:42 AM

Post #9752647

Hmmm, try a piece of like honey ham? Its what i give em when sitting still and they are swarming my buggy windshield and radiator grilll...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America