Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: 1st timer questions.

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 5, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2014
8:07 AM

Post #9754038

I am trying out Wintersowing for the first time this year. I have 6 milk jugs seeded and outside already, and I'll do more today. My main question is location.
I put the first six jugs out on my deck. (Here in MN it is VERY cold below zero) They are not covered in snow. I'm wondering if I should move them to the veg garden.. to let them get covered in snow for more protection from the negative temps?
I am sowing hardy perennials only this year..that are suitable for z 4. (monarda, huechera, hardy geranium, echinacea, veronica, coreopsis). I'm also trying some Shasta daisy... (Alaska) and I'm going to try some purple fountain grass... which is NOT hardy here... but I'm gonna see what happens.

I also have a question about WS veggies. I have heard you can even do tomatoes??? Does anyone know when you would put those out in MN? (our last frost date is usually around May 15 or so)
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 24, 2014
10:25 AM

Post #9754763

I am zone 3 so colder.
I would bury the jugs in snow.
Snow is a great insulator.
I tried tomatoes one year ---sprouted late June ---then green tomatoes in September---
I think that I used a short season type,but WS not good for tomatoes here.
Our growing season is short.
Caroline
cytf
Staten Island, NY

January 24, 2014
12:29 PM

Post #9754831

I did composting and last year and I use some compost in my containers, tomato plants were sprouting up every where so I guess tomato seeds can do well being winter sowed.The rule says to sow tomato seeds 6-8 weeks before frost so I think we can try that.I will try a few winter sowing and a few indoors for experiment. hope this helps
hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 24, 2014
2:25 PM

Post #9754882

Thanks CLScott and cytf. I'll be moving my jugs. I think I'll put them just out farther on the deck, and let them get covered in snow.. (or shovel some on). Right now Ihave them by the house. I think they'll be much easier to tend in the spring, than way out in my garden.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2014
3:38 AM

Post #9757174

Just wanted to chime in to agree, I also think your milk jugs should be moved out to expose them more to the elements. Think of it this way: If no human hands were involved, and those seeds were scattered/dropped into the soil naturally, they would be totally exposed to the elements; snowfall included. Give them as much of a 'natural' environment as you can. Basically, all the milk jugs are doing is protecting the seeds from critters getting to them to eat them. :)

chickenman1962

chickenman1962
Le Sueur, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2014
11:31 AM

Post #9758196

Hello Hillabeans,

I work in Chanhassen, MN. and live down around Henderson, MN., so I know your neck of the woods quite well. I've never tried winter sowing, so I too will be trying something new. I'm going to try some perennials like Delphinium, Larkspur, Digitalis, Rudbeckie, and others to see how it works for me, though admittedly, I'll probably only plant a few seeds of each type, just in case it fails, so I have
something left over to start some under the lights in the basement. lol
Best of luck to you, and roll on Spring!

Kevin

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America