Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Soil and Composting: red wigglers worm!!!

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 15, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 13, 2014
12:59 PM

Post #9768636

I saw an ad about red wigglers and very fascinating so I plan to purchase a thousand for my compost bins,

I compost everything meaning moldy breads from food pantry, kitchen scraps and even meats.
I know it is a no no to all of you but I had been doing this for years.

Had anybody used any red wigglers? Can you please tell me your experience.

thanks---Belle

This message was edited Feb 17, 2014 10:52 PM
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2014
3:00 PM

Post #9768696

I wish I could help, but the only experience I have with red worms Is on the end of a pole.
I do have lots of compost and leaf mold piles, but only regular earth worms in those, no red worms.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 13, 2014
3:04 PM

Post #9768699

Seedfork,
Thank you,
Our daughter lives in Birmingham and they had a little bit of snow. It is melting she said.

How about you did you get any?

Belle
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2014
3:44 PM

Post #9768709

No, we are further down south. I was out in the garden all day today, temp. up the 50's, and clear blue sky, but very windy. I actually hauled in two truck loads of leaves and grass clippings today to add to my latest pile. At the end of the day I managed to turn the upper portion one of my other piles, lots of worms in there, not very active yet though. I was surprised to see them so high up in the pile.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2014
3:56 PM

Post #9768710

When I had more room I use to container grow a few , Their really a hybrid manure worm , solid red or striped segments ..
Old corn silo's I have heard they escape too and as far as now , I still see one or two in the garden rarely , Solid crossbreeds , that have with earthworms , but that yellow tip tail and bright red color says their still there .
Loved ground up potatoes , and anything as mush (just about anyway ) and plants loved that compost .. They are a good strong little creature ..
(beware of rodents , worms are their favorite food)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 13, 2014
4:44 PM

Post #9768733

How many worm was your initial purchase?
i have tons of regular earthworms during summer but I feed them to my kois.

i like to try the red wigglers. Do they multiply?

Belle

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2014
5:03 PM

Post #9768739

First ones I ever did , were in a little Styrofoam worm farm I bought way back when .I put a few left over worms from fishing in that container , next spring their were tens of thousands .
More or less now you have to buy them from a supplier if you want them to multiply . the ones sold as bait , often have something done to them so they won't breed anymore ...
After the first adapting ,, they can multiply by 5 to 12 times every 20 days , I think that was the equation

If their healthy , if the temperature is correct . every 7 to 10 days they lay an egg

How's all that for a yes , they multiply , LOL
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 13, 2014
5:48 PM

Post #9768754

Then I will try after all this cold weather.I have 3 huge trash barrels I use as composters
I will post the results.

thank you

Belle

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2014
6:02 PM

Post #9768770

bellieg, you mightwant to read Vermicomposting, here on DG. Loads of information here and some very smart worm farmers.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 13, 2014
6:15 PM

Post #9768777

I will look for the thread.

Thank you

Belle

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2014
6:22 PM

Post #9768782

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/wrigglers/all/
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 14, 2014
4:43 AM

Post #9768898

I read some discussions on the vermi composting and there seems a lot of works that goes with it.

Honestly I thought that if I put them in my bins the composting will go faster. I did not even know that I can not use the worms in my garden.

Do i want to try? I will read more about it but leaning trying anyway in a smaller scale. Not a thousand worms!!!!

Belle

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2014
1:02 PM

Post #9771060

My personal take is, that when I have the right conditions in my compost area, I have tons of worms, and when things are not to their liking they all go away. So I just don't sweat it- they manage themselves. Of course, it can't hurt to 'plant' desirable worms in there and see how they do.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2014
1:56 PM

Post #9836005

sallyg,
I think you're correct about your earthworms. If you put leaves and other yard vegetation in your compost, and it doesn't "cook" any more, then the earthworms will like it and stay. If you put a lot of kitchen scraps including coffee grounds, and veggie scraps, then you can grow red worms - you may need to purchase a little styrofoam cup full from a country gas station where they have a "fish bait" sign.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2014
8:03 PM

Post #9836448

tell you what-- after having a really good wet year of lots of kitchen scraps and coffee grounds last summer and thru winter, I have gazillions of red worms and some almost truly finished compost.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 21, 2014
4:52 AM

Post #9844909

I decided against buying the red wigglers after watching you tube and for them to thrive they have to be in a right temperature. I don't have the time to be moving the bins.
I emptied my three trash barrels few months ago, stunk for few days, dump 5 lbs of baking soda , DH covered it with grass clippings.

I am excited how much earthworms i have to share with my kois.

Happy gardening!!!

Belle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America