AuthorContent

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 25, 2014
2:24 AM

Post #9776223

one of my chickens has had a fit twice before, flapping around on the ground with her head back like she has a broken neck, just for a few minutes then shes right again. I thought she'd been bitten by a snake or something and was dying. Has anyone ever heard or seen this. Wondering weather to put her down or not. Now its over she seems fine, eating and doing everything like a normal chook.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 25, 2014
3:16 AM

Post #9776242

Idon`t know what it could be,maybe someone else will be able to answer it,but as long as she seems ok otherwise I would not put her down.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2014
6:10 AM

Post #9776332

perhaps bitten by a spider? I don't think chickens have epilepsy as I can't find anything on the subject. I am allergic to spider bites now and have had a nasty similar reaction. Just a thought...hope someone has the correct answer but if she acts normally otherwise I'd probably just keep an eye on her but leave her alone.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 26, 2014
6:50 PM

Post #9777561

what are the chances of being bitten by a spider and having the same symptoms twice though. I was thinking epilepsy, it was like that.???
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 26, 2014
8:38 PM

Post #9777625

I have never had a hen seizure and recover, but I have had chicks that had brief seizures and then grew up to be normal hens with no further problems.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America