-
AuthorContent
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2014
10:35 AM

Post #9785577

I'm trying to stretch my dollars and makeshift a plant stand for seed germination and seedlings. Does anyone know of an inexpensive source to buy lights?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2014
9:53 PM

Post #9786120

I'd go with the basic shop light from a big box store. Your can also look in someplace that recycles building material like a Habitat for Humanities store.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2014
10:26 PM

Post #9786154

Doug, great suggestion for the Habitat resellers...given me enough time, I would have made it there...eventually. I'm going to check them out for sure. Thanks for your memory jog help. I've been looking through the big box stores -- they're even wanting 30 bucks for shop lights.

What kinds of places would be good for dumpster diving lighting...lol. I sure miss not being around architectural salvage places, they always had prizes to buy.

citybusgardener

citybusgardener
( Pam ) Portland, OR

March 20, 2014
9:49 PM

Post #9794312

Hi Robin,

It occurs to me this might be a good Free Cycle thing. Not sure how active they are in your area, but it's worth looking up. They have an area where people can ask for what they need, with a limit of how often one can ask to keep things manageable

. Free Cycle is a great way to find homes for stuff too good to throw out, but too much hassle to take to a thrift store. Plus things go directly to those that need it.

I would think wanting a shop light to help grow seeds for a garden, would be something a person would be more likely to reply to, than the " I need a hot tub" requests.Yes, I've seen those.
Shop lights are something a person might have replaced with better fixtures, but kept stored for 'just in case someone needs it someday'. At least it would be for me.

Good luck.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2014
8:08 AM

Post #9794540

Another great idea Pam, thanks! I never even heard of Free Cycle, I'll have to hunt them down. I am one of those "just in case somebody else needs it" savers too.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2014
4:50 AM

Post #9817591

Mipii, we recently made ours for $6 apiece. The only tool we needed was a drill. Let me know if you're interested in how we did it.

Turtle
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2014
7:50 AM

Post #9817790

Wow Turtle, you got my attention pretty quick...yes please, do tell!

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2014
5:50 PM

Post #9818302

Sure! I'll get pics of the components tonight. We're building another one.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2014
7:14 PM

Post #9818377

Whoohoo...thanks!

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2014
1:19 AM

Post #9818464

Oops. Forget there was soccer game tonight but I will get the pics up. I haven't forgotten.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2014
8:08 AM

Post #9818725

Ready when you are, I know this 'life' thing can get complicated.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2014
10:32 PM

Post #9824825

THERE we are! I couldn't find this thread. Sorry for the delay.

Let me know if you want verbal instructions.

Vent piece. Threaded rod. Double ceiling light fixture. All available used.

Thumbnail by 13Turtles   Thumbnail by 13Turtles   Thumbnail by 13Turtles   Thumbnail by 13Turtles   Thumbnail by 13Turtles
Click an image for an enlarged view.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2014
10:36 PM

Post #9824828

Ugh. Not coming out right. I'm gonna try to organize.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2014
6:38 PM

Post #9825644

Screw-in bulbs?? Not "shop light"? (4-foot-long T-8 or T-5 fluorescent tubes)

I hope you're getting the "spiral" CFL bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs. CFL bulbs are MUCH more efficient, and throw off MUCH less heat.

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2014
8:03 PM

Post #9825713

Thanks Turtles! Two questions;
How do I incorporate the threaded rod?
How many linear feet do the double lamps illuminate?

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2014
10:37 PM

Post #9825800

Actually, RC, we have found out that the spiral CFLs put out more light than the shop tubes! Not as spread out of course, but if you get the aluminum venting it is like a mirror and the light bounces and bounces all over. We came home tonight in the dark tonight and it looked as though a flying saucer was taking off out of our dining room, with only three of these two foot lamps!

Robin, we cut the threaded rod to 14 inches to spread the venting. They do come in 12 inch. Here's a pic, hopefully one at a time will behave:

Thumbnail by 13Turtles   Thumbnail by 13Turtles   Thumbnail by 13Turtles   Thumbnail by 13Turtles   Thumbnail by 13Turtles
Click an image for an enlarged view.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2014
10:44 PM

Post #9825801

And they appear to illuminate four feet, though longer pipe would help that. We are making a double-wide now, and will put in two double fixtures, just because we can lol. The tomatoes took OFF as soon as I put them under one of these. We did pull a fiddle on the ceiling light fixtures to convert them to our hoop-house lights, and to take advantage of the threaded rod on the fixture meant for attaching the lens/shade.

Thumbnail by 13Turtles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2014
10:02 AM

Post #9826110

Good stuff Turtles, thanks for your frugal/efficient design. The threaded rod not only spaces the vent pipe but provides some stability for it too. A couple more questions though, lol (I'm pretty sure these will be the last ones);
What is used for the vent pipe hanging apparatus and the mechanism/method used to raise and lower the lights for ranging seedling heights?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2014
5:23 PM

Post #9826498

13Turtles, I believe you that the spiral CFLs with reflectors probably make a smaller, brighter spot than most 4 foot tube fixtures. But I wonder if there are any 3-tube T5 fixtures?

One good thing is that the spiral-mogul-florescent bulbs use the same "CFL technology" as T8 and T5 shop tubes. Very efficient.

>> it looked as though a flying saucer was taking off out of our dining room,

If you ever get a chance to see the movie "Saving Grace", do! You'll know the scene I mean when you get to it. I'll only say that it involves townspeople, lawn furniture and a countdown.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2014
5:29 PM

Post #9826501

Oops, I forgot that part. And yes about the threaded rod - its double duty means not buying extra parts! Although I will warn you that these do twist some when being handled. I don't see it having any negative impact so I don't worry.

The reason we use longer than 12" rod is so that an inch extends outside the vent on each side, and the acorn nuts protect our delicate skin, lol. Those acorn nuts are the most expensive piece, strangely enough.

Then we just used cord or wire of whatever kind is lying around to tie over the tops of the shelves above. I find the thicker or stiffer ones to be better We knot and tie the two ends of one long cord to the back side rods, pass the resulting loop over the the top of the shelf. We pretty much just loop around the front side rods a couple of times.

The cool part is that binder clips work perfectly to hold the cord loops in front, so no knots to untie when it's time to change the height. Plus, this design allows me to roll the whole lamp hood back when I want to get to the plants beneath.

Probably the lowest tech part of the operation! Next comes the double for the top shelf, which will need some other kind of thing. Don't have it figured out yet, but I'll let you know when that happens, in case you don't have a shelf setup like mine.

Also for a little extra stabilization, there's a xxxxxxxxx - temp. forgotten the word here - across the width on top where light is fastened, instead of down the length.

Hope this helps Robin, and questions are welcome. I thought I did such a good job taking multiple pics of every step, but, uhh, no. They're kind of a jumble. Sigh

Thumbnail by 13Turtles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2014
5:32 PM

Post #9826504

Oh, I must find that movie RC!

Good question about the three tube T-5s; I have no idea. If I ever get a longer shelf setup I may revert to tube fixtures.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2014
5:39 PM

Post #9826513

I think you'll enjoy it. Right now, I'm smiling about the memory of so many scenes that I think I need to find it and watch it again.

I tried to find the relevant scene in YouTube, but our IT department blocked that while they obsess over security problems with FlashPlayer and IE.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America