Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Green beans

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 24, Views: 259
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
horse727
Miami, FL

March 11, 2014
8:48 AM

Post #9787231

My name is David From Miami Florida.
I'm totally new at this gardening.
I recently planted vegetables in my yard, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, tomatoes, reddish, corn, cucumbers and Green beans
My question on Green beans
I planted it the on a pot and I transferred to the ground and I noticed the green beans and large but it has a tendency to be a ground dueler.
Is that normal or is a green bean a vine that needs guide fences?

Thumbnail by horse727   Thumbnail by horse727   Thumbnail by horse727
Click an image for an enlarged view.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2014
8:55 AM

Post #9787240

There are "pole" beans and "bush" beans- bush beans support themselves and grow fairly low- about 2 feet tall, whereas pole beans need something to climb up on and attach their tendrils. They produce longer than bush beans. The package should have noted what type you have.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2014
10:53 AM

Post #9787319

Your photo is of a bush bean. If you are planning on using it as a snap bean, you waited too long to harvest. Pole beans don't have tendrils, just long vines that climb by wrapping themselves around something. They will normally be 4-6 ft tall before they start producing pods.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill         

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2014
6:08 PM

Post #9787626

Farmerdill, 'scuse me for being politically incorrect- :-) gotta watch ourselves with all the pros around! (just kidding, everybody, so don't get upset)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2014
11:58 AM

Post #9799171

Hi, Farmerdill,
Please expound on "If you are planning on using it as a snap bean,you waited too long to harvest".

What is the indicator in the picture that he waited too long?

I'll be growing Kentucky Wonder Poll beans again this season. I'm familiar with their growing habit. But, I'd also like to grow some bush beans, and don't know a thing about them.

Also, I'll be growing Southern Peas (beans) for the first time. Any tips would sure be appreciated!

Thanks, in advance.

Linda
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2014
1:17 PM

Post #9799206

His photo indicates full bean stage. While there are varieties that are good at this stage, most get somewhat tough and fibrous. For snap beans they are best picked before the beans are full grown.
Bush beans have about the requirements as pole beans, but can be more densely planted. 2-3 inches apart, with 24 inch row spacing. !5 -20 days earlier. Southern peas ( Vigna unguilata) are very tolerant of conditions other than cold. They are a hot weather plant. Plant like bush Phaseolus in the poorest soil. In rich soil you may get more vine than peas. Vining types will run all over creation, but they don't climb well. Most are bush types. For some reason photos won't load today.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2014
1:26 PM

Post #9799216

My bad senior moment, forgot which forum I was on.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill   

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2014
1:39 PM

Post #9799221

Thanks, Farmerdill!

Looks like I have a problem. All of my raised beds are fairly "rich?" soil. Don't have much poor soil to plant the beans in...shoot...
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2014
2:35 PM

Post #9799259

beans will be ok. peas may have excess vine. The peas are a different genus and species from beans. Peas need more heat and will produce in mid summer when beans fail. In the "olden days" they were one of the few plants to produce on poor wornout southern soils. Land "TOO POOR TO SPROUT PEAS" was the ultimate designation for a useless patch of land.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

March 29, 2014
12:29 AM

Post #9800175

I have tried year after year with bush and now climbing beans and get just a few plants and few beans on them. Also peas are frustrating - they seem to die in the heat of summer but won't get enough sun to grow earlier in the year.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2014
6:27 AM

Post #9800311

First I don't think Farmer Dill'ss peas and Heather Y pea's are the same thing. Field peas and garden peas have almost the opposite requirements temperature wise.

Heather why won't they get enough sun early in the year. Is there something casting a shadow.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2014
8:50 AM

Post #9800427

Farmerdill
which kind of beans are the ones on the 4th picture?
the further on the right?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2014
11:29 AM

Post #9800540

Not beans. southern pea Quickpick (Vigna unguiculata)

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2014
1:53 PM

Post #9800634

are they also called CowPeas?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2014
4:23 PM

Post #9800719

Yes

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2014
6:44 AM

Post #9801006

Thanks
I will try to plant some cowpeas under the tomatoes in a couple of months.
By then the tomatoes should be done and the cowpeas could take over.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

April 3, 2014
9:24 PM

Post #9804544

If I direct seed them ( which the are supposed to like)
in the earliest possible time of year or soon thereafter ( supposed to be frost tolerant)
then they are in a part of the yard in which the sun is blocked by the garage.
Later in the year this is not a problem, there is just so much sun all day.
My garden has a western exposure.

I have tried starting the seeds in a sunny spot on the back stoop, I move them
and then they grow just a little and have just a few pods, because they don't like
being transplanted. Planting them in a sunnier spot or later in the year makes them
dry up and looked bleached because after they sprout they don't like the heat!

I am trying to grow snow peas, snap peas we used to call them.

Heather why won't they get enough sun early in the year. Is there something casting a shadow.[/quote]

cytf
Staten Island, NY

April 5, 2014
8:19 AM

Post #9805443

Hi HeatherY, I plant Bush beans on the west side of my yard too but I plant them in large containers and I water them when the soil I gets dry and they do well . I was advised by the garden center to add Fix-N-Grow to the soil it is a granular legume inoculant , it comes in green envelope type package, I am using this since I have been planting Pole beans and Bush beans.Last year I planted Bush beans between my tomato and cucumber and they did well too.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

April 7, 2014
7:20 PM

Post #9807391

Thanks, cytf.

Fix N Grow, huh? I should work for peas, too, I think.

Do you have clay soil too?
Heather Y
cytf
Staten Island, NY

April 7, 2014
7:49 PM

Post #9807412

Yes I have clay soil too so I have to amend the soil for my entire beds and i also do container gardening too.

HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 1, 2014
1:41 PM

Post #9882762

This year I planted climbing beans (or green beans or pole beans going by Farmerdill's definition above) around the compost heap. they are growing like crazy and look really great, but no blossoms or beans yet.

I might have a picture.
HeatherY

Thumbnail by HeatherY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2014
1:27 PM

Post #9890368

I have a bumper crop of Pole Green Beans (snap beans) this year. I have been picking them & eating them, but now they are getting bigger & fiberous. I was told that I could shell them & cook them as shelled beans. Should I leave them on the plant until the beans inside look really big, & then pick them, shell them, & cook them? Also, I could leave them on the plant until they almost dry up & still beable to shell them & cook them in soups. Also, I could just let them dry on the plant, pick them, shell them, & store as dry beans? I have never done this before. Its got of great sounding .
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 17, 2014
2:50 PM

Post #9896101

Still no blossoms or beans yet.
Heather
ShelleyF
Custer, WI

July 19, 2014
8:31 AM

Post #9897540

I always plant bush beans, and this year bought heirloom bush beans from Livingston Seed Company. They were only supposed to get up to 18 inches tall, but I saw them getting taller and taller like pole beans. I contacted the company and they said their supplier had a mix-up and they were indeed pole beans. I was not prepared with something for them to grow upwards on, so I pounded in tall stakes at each end of the row and one in the middle and strung some strings back and forth. It has worked so far and I am getting a ton of beans.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 22, 2014
12:39 PM

Post #9900329

Good luck, Shelley.
My pole beans have grown up and onto the fence and everywhere, and during the big back yard clean up where I actually go onto the neighbor's and weed ten inches on their side - trim the big bushy weedy willow (with permission of course) --while doing this I saw my first blossoms and tiny beans!
Heather

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America