Growing Okra for the first time.

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

You don't see Okra growing in California but I'd like to grow some to pickle. Does it like humidity? Should I grow them in the greenhouse with the tomatoes and melons, or outside?

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

I don't know what your climate is like there. I am in zone 9b in Texas, and okra grows rampant here. Our humidity normally runs around 60%, but we have had a few years of severe drought. Okra thrives on hot and dry. My suggestion is grow it outside of your greenhouse.
I wonder why it isn't grown in CA? ? ?

Californians don't usually eat okra, it's because we have artichokes and they're better, LOL.
My sister (who is now living in New Mexico) makes a mean pickled Okra and I'm determined to learn how make it myself and pass this knowledge on to my daughters.
I can only hope that my california deer and gophers don't like okra.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Grow it outside when it gets warm. I'm in zone 8b and can plant seeds until July. Okra likes warm weather, but struggles in the hot heat of the summer. They also have a deep tap root and can get up to 7' or more tall.

Do you know how deer resistant it is. I'd love to be able to just plant it around my new milkweed garden (you know it has a sprinkler, so it would easy to water) and it would be pretty too.
*Different milkweeds planted in the barrel staves and a catapillar cage to keep them safe from lizards. I could plant the Okra around the outside in a circle.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry. White tail deer love okra. If they can get toit they will mow it to the ground. About the only other pest that bothers it are leaf footed bugs. Ther are sufficient varieties of okra, That one can choose small compact plants (under two feet) up to the giant 8-10 foot types. It likes heat and humidity, one the few vegerables that thrive in mid summer in the southeast.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

I was afraid the deer might be a problem. My brother-in-law in New Mexico said they "nibble" on it a little. But New Mexico deer just aren't the gourmet that California deer are. The marauders around here have been known to eat just about anything "planted". They even took out a bunch of my succulents this winter, in search of water I imagine. They have eaten plants I was sure would poison them and expected to find their dead bodies, tongue out, in the front yard. Guess I'll have to use that fenced area I have for plant sales after all.

Huntsdale, MO

It's worth a try to go ahead and plant some anyway. Just plant enough for both you and the deer! Another tip: okra gets pretty tall up to 6 or 7 feet so plant it in the back of your ornamental bed.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try some out in the pasture also. The area already gets watered so no loss trying.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

I always soak my seeds for at least 24 hrs. helps out a whole lot. You can start them indoors and set them out and it works very well.

Oh good, I think I'll soak them tonight as I'm going to try to get them in tomorrow. If not in ground then in some seed pots in the greenhouse.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I always start my okra seeds indoor.
In fact I did start them last Friday after being soaked in water and HP the entire day.
They did germinate after two days.
I plan to transplant outside at the beginning of May. I always do that and I had great success.
I love Okra and last year I learn how to pickled it. So good.
My Okra plants last year grew so tall !!!
Okra loves my summer. It is the easiest plant to grow in my garden.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor

I love the vege art! Trying to get my old bod going this morning as my daughter said she could help me out in the yard this morning. Going to at least get the new "Okra" area ready. I'm getting excited about Okra and I'm also going to do so gourds. I've always thought it was too cool in this canyon to grow them but we'll see. It's certainly been hot enough lately.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I also soak my okra seeds overnight in water with a capful of hydrogen peroxide.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Great minds think alike...

Never used HP on any seeds, it's worth a try.
The melons I planted in ground in the greenhouse are germinating after only two days. That's exciting. Has the weather warmed up in Texas? It's been in the mid 60's here and that means mid 70's in the greenhouse. I'm starting to do more germinating outside now.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

It was 32* here this morning. : /

We're having moderate, mid-70s this weekend, and dipping to the high-40s next week.

I've been debating on whether to pull my late-planted cabbages tomorrow, to clear the bed for the spr/summer veggies, but, they've grown rapidly in the last two weeks and are looking beautiful, still.

Didn't think there'd be enough cool weather ahead to make heads, but, they're pressing on, and, most importantly, the buggies have left them alone!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl

I'm gonna soak my seeds overnight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.