Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Growing Okra for the first time.

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2014
6:41 PM

Post #9789785

You don't see Okra growing in California but I'd like to grow some to pickle. Does it like humidity? Should I grow them in the greenhouse with the tomatoes and melons, or outside?
lbarden547
Kingsville, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2014
9:54 PM

Post #9789883

I don't know what your climate is like there. I am in zone 9b in Texas, and okra grows rampant here. Our humidity normally runs around 60%, but we have had a few years of severe drought. Okra thrives on hot and dry. My suggestion is grow it outside of your greenhouse.
I wonder why it isn't grown in CA? ? ?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2014
10:10 PM

Post #9789888

Californians don't usually eat okra, it's because we have artichokes and they're better, LOL.
My sister (who is now living in New Mexico) makes a mean pickled Okra and I'm determined to learn how make it myself and pass this knowledge on to my daughters.
I can only hope that my california deer and gophers don't like okra.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2014
6:47 PM

Post #9791122

Grow it outside when it gets warm. I'm in zone 8b and can plant seeds until July. Okra likes warm weather, but struggles in the hot heat of the summer. They also have a deep tap root and can get up to 7' or more tall.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2014
7:22 PM

Post #9791139

Do you know how deer resistant it is. I'd love to be able to just plant it around my new milkweed garden (you know it has a sprinkler, so it would easy to water) and it would be pretty too.
*Different milkweeds planted in the barrel staves and a catapillar cage to keep them safe from lizards. I could plant the Okra around the outside in a circle.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2014
5:39 AM

Post #9791305

Sorry. White tail deer love okra. If they can get toit they will mow it to the ground. About the only other pest that bothers it are leaf footed bugs. Ther are sufficient varieties of okra, That one can choose small compact plants (under two feet) up to the giant 8-10 foot types. It likes heat and humidity, one the few vegerables that thrive in mid summer in the southeast.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2014
8:18 AM

Post #9791472

I was afraid the deer might be a problem. My brother-in-law in New Mexico said they "nibble" on it a little. But New Mexico deer just aren't the gourmet that California deer are. The marauders around here have been known to eat just about anything "planted". They even took out a bunch of my succulents this winter, in search of water I imagine. They have eaten plants I was sure would poison them and expected to find their dead bodies, tongue out, in the front yard. Guess I'll have to use that fenced area I have for plant sales after all.
ctutt
Huntsdale, MO

March 17, 2014
11:50 AM

Post #9791666

It's worth a try to go ahead and plant some anyway. Just plant enough for both you and the deer! Another tip: okra gets pretty tall up to 6 or 7 feet so plant it in the back of your ornamental bed.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2014
9:40 PM

Post #9792027

Yeah, I think I'm going to try some out in the pasture also. The area already gets watered so no loss trying.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2014
7:05 PM

Post #9792666

I always soak my seeds for at least 24 hrs. helps out a whole lot. You can start them indoors and set them out and it works very well.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2014
8:31 PM

Post #9792723

Oh good, I think I'll soak them tonight as I'm going to try to get them in tomorrow. If not in ground then in some seed pots in the greenhouse.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2014
6:25 AM

Post #9792913

I always start my okra seeds indoor.
In fact I did start them last Friday after being soaked in water and HP the entire day.
They did germinate after two days.
I plan to transplant outside at the beginning of May. I always do that and I had great success.
I love Okra and last year I learn how to pickled it. So good.
My Okra plants last year grew so tall !!!
Okra loves my summer. It is the easiest plant to grow in my garden.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2014
9:26 AM

Post #9793015

I love the vege art! Trying to get my old bod going this morning as my daughter said she could help me out in the yard this morning. Going to at least get the new "Okra" area ready. I'm getting excited about Okra and I'm also going to do so gourds. I've always thought it was too cool in this canyon to grow them but we'll see. It's certainly been hot enough lately.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2014
10:57 AM

Post #9793882

I also soak my okra seeds overnight in water with a capful of hydrogen peroxide.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2014
11:55 AM

Post #9793921

Great minds think alike...

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2014
7:19 PM

Post #9794247

Never used HP on any seeds, it's worth a try.
The melons I planted in ground in the greenhouse are germinating after only two days. That's exciting. Has the weather warmed up in Texas? It's been in the mid 60's here and that means mid 70's in the greenhouse. I'm starting to do more germinating outside now.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2014
7:56 PM

Post #9794275

It was 32* here this morning. : /

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2014
8:47 AM

Post #9794578

We're having moderate, mid-70s this weekend, and dipping to the high-40s next week.

I've been debating on whether to pull my late-planted cabbages tomorrow, to clear the bed for the spr/summer veggies, but, they've grown rapidly in the last two weeks and are looking beautiful, still.

Didn't think there'd be enough cool weather ahead to make heads, but, they're pressing on, and, most importantly, the buggies have left them alone!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2014
10:12 AM

Post #9794625

I'm gonna soak my seeds overnight.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America