Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: seedling snapdragons

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
karlac
Saluda, SC

March 16, 2014
11:12 AM

Post #9790802

I purchased 400 seedling snapdragons for my yard, when I received them, I immediately transplanted them to larger seed pots. They are inside by a window. They seem to be growing, but only taller, they are about 6" tall. They are very skinny. I don't see how they can ever grown to support a flower. Any advise would be appreciated!
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2014
11:45 AM

Post #9790815

They are not getting enough light, hopefully it is not too late, they need more light!
karlac
Saluda, SC

March 16, 2014
12:27 PM

Post #9790828

Thank you! I will get them more light asap! Would it help if I pinched the tops off? I'm just grasping at straws, I don't want to loose my pretty flowers!.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2014
12:28 PM

Post #9790831

Ditto, but move them into the sun slowly. Morning or evening sun for a few days, then a bit more. Dappled light all day under a tree or shade structure is good, too.
Let it take a week, so they do not get burned by all of a sudden having full sun on their leaves.

Snaps respond well to pinching, but if they are very young plants I would only nip the very top pair of leaves.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2014 11:29 AM
karlac
Saluda, SC

March 16, 2014
2:17 PM

Post #9790892

Thanks so much! Hopefully they will be okay!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2014
6:44 PM

Post #9794218

Yes...definately pinch them back!!! I've already given mine a hair cut. I cut them back to atleast 2 true pairs of leaves. Yes, you may be sacrifice the tops but end up with stockier plants that will branch nicely... If they do flop when you get them planted, they will sprout new stems the whole length of the branch, meaning more flowers!

When are you planning on planting them outside? Just curious, what variety did you get? I usually start most of mine from seed, this year have Rocket: red, pink and a newer one called The Bride, which is the only one that is fragrant... also have Madame Doubles Mix. Love snaps!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2014
8:58 PM

Post #9795069

My dwarf snaps are just beginning the blooming cycle of the year. I find small plants popping up all over the front garden space. I think I will collect seed from them this year and plant some out back. I will have to take a picture or two of them to see if anyone here can identify them for me. Good luck with yours!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2014
9:24 PM

Post #9795083

Ps...pix is from a previous year, sorry should have noted that.. Bit early here where I am at 6900ft, last frost here is May 10ish.

Karlac...are you past last frost for your area yet? Another thing you can do is to set them outside in the shade to help harden them off and get them a bit stockier... If you decide to do this you must give them a shorte duration to begin with. Say a few hours to begin with, then build up more hours as the days go on... When were you planning on planting them out????? Snaps are pretty hardy once they are hardened off.. I'm guessing your a z7 ish?.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America