Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Identification: Hawk id

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DaneaJ
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2014
3:31 PM

Post #9791840

This good looking hawk is now a resident of our neighborhood. I think he is a juvenile, red shouldered hawk or juvenile sharp shinned hawk. I may not be close. I need ya'lls expert help. I live in a subdivision at Lake Livingston in Livingston, Texas.

Thumbnail by DaneaJ   Thumbnail by DaneaJ   Thumbnail by DaneaJ   Thumbnail by DaneaJ
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2014
4:20 PM

Post #9791872

Yep, juv. Red-shouldered Hawk is right.

Resin
DaneaJ
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2014
6:25 PM

Post #9791940

Thanks

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2014
10:44 AM

Post #9882633

DaneaJ, pretty hawk but keep him there..I have chickens...lol

Nice to see someone from my area.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2014
10:55 AM

Post #9882642

Ah, don't worry about your chickens, Jokenna. All raptors are opportunists, but a chicken is not usually its chosen fare.

Here is a funny article about some of the odd things they can eat
http://10000birds.com/red-shouldered-hawk-diet-from-worms-to-chicken-thighs.htm
A more serious link:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-shouldered_Hawk/lifehistory#at_food

On another birding forum when someone threw out leftover mac and cheese for the crows, she saw a Red-shouldered Hawk dining on it.

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2014
11:10 AM

Post #9882656

Not worried about my adult chickens but had a hen hatch some chicks that are running around my yard..

Just moved here last year and we are sure enjoying all the birds around here..and they sure love all the food they get. We have birdfeeders and humming bird feeders..also planting what we can for the butterflies and bees.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2014
11:26 AM

Post #9882668

Ah, that is wonderful. The chicks and all your birds. When we moved out to the country and started paying attention to the birds and later bugs, it is amazing what we have. We are doing the same with plants native to our area. I found a new moth and butterfly today.

Jokenna

Jokenna
Livingston, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2014
11:30 AM

Post #9882673

Thanks Chillybean
I enjoyed taking pictures of them all but I haven't this year need to get with it! Check out this cute pic of an anole getting a drink from my crown of thorns.

Thumbnail by Jokenna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2014
8:01 AM

Post #9883646

That is so neat, Jokenna. We've had snakes come to the bird bath and other critters. After I found out our county has no venomous snakes, I appreciate them a little more. I do not have to get nervous when one crawls into our mud room. Had that happen once.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America