Anaheim Peppers

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We had a wonderful Anaheim Pepper we purchased as a plant last summer. I saved some of the seeds. Will the seed be relatively true to the flavor of the Anaheim Pepper, or is there a big possibility of the pepper being really hot? I hate to take up space in my garden and spend a summer waiting for an Anaheim Pepper, and it be really hot.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Anaheim pepper should be OP. So it should resemble last years plant.
On the heat, weather conditions play a part, so may not be the same.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you for the information. We really liked the Anaheim's last year. I used the seeds and all with just the right amount of heat for us.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

What he means is that the weather temps can affect the heat of the pepper. Hot, dry weather will give you hotter peppers.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I grew jalapeņos in North Dakota which was the opposite of hot & dry. They weird mild. You can't do much about heat waves, but try to keep your garden including your peppers mulched and evenly moist. Drought stress can turn various veggies hot &/or bitter.

Most people that grow Jals want them hot, that's what they are "hot" peppers so by holding back on watering ( if possible) you have a much better chance of getting hot peppers. Keeping the soil moist will lessen the heat in the pepper.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Do you think that hot peppers grown in Earthboxes (with steady water, by design) will lose heat? I'm growing a cayenne and Maui Purple in an Earthbox. I don't think a little moderation would hurt me, since I don't use SUPER hot peppers anyway.

DTR

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I don't think you could make a hot pepper into a mild pepper in Texas. My peppers in North Dakota were unusual, I never had that happen anywhere else I lived. Gardening in North Dakota was really different for a lot of plants - the days were cooler but longer - a full hour longer than Colorado.

David, other people I know that have grown hot peppers in EBs never mentioned that the fruit was any different. I guess we shall see....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.