Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Can peat be substituted for compost?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2014
4:18 PM

Post #9794093

I'm putting in some new vegetable raised beds this spring. I don't have a composting bin yet, so I don't have any compost to rototill into the soil. I live out in the country, and our local top soil supplier sells 50 top soil/50 Michigan peat, in addition to 100% top soil. Should I use the peat since I don't have any compost??

~ Glenda
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2014
4:56 PM

Post #9794131

What is the reason for wanting to add the peat? If it is just to soften up the soil and make it easier to work? Peat is organic matter and with enough of it can make a very easily workable garden bed. If you are wanting to add it for nutritional value, the peat is not much good. I have a book by Jim Crocket, who used to host the old victory garden show many years ago, the producer of the program was totally shocked by how much peat he had to add to the old parking lot garden plot to make the soil good enough for the host of the program.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2014
6:57 PM

Post #9794227

Seedfork, This year I'm trying my hand at French Intensive Gardening with raised beds. As you turn the soil over, you mix in compost...but I don't have compost and no one around here sells compost by the yard. The soil here is mostly clay, but not to the point that it's like concrete.

I was hoping peat was a good 2nd choice. I'm just not sure what to do now...

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2014
9:59 PM

Post #9794316

Glenda,

I agree with Seedfork. If you want to add nutritional value peat is not a very good choice. If you have to use the peat, you may be want to add some lime (because peat is acidic) and some balanced fertilizer (either organic or not).

David R
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2014
10:28 PM

Post #9794325

Thanks David! Will do.

I have tons of chicken manure but it's not aged, so I'm afraid it would burn everything.
I'll call around and see if I can come up with a better option than peat.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2014
11:15 PM

Post #9794336

I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I add bagged steer manure when I feel my soil needs a nitrogen boost. It's cheap and the bags are easily managed. I did use some peat in the mix for my raised beds. It's good to help water retention, but I have sandy soil. There are also "soil conditioners" in bags that are good as additives.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2014
8:19 AM

Post #9794550

Thanks Domehomedee. We had sand at our old house, but here at the farm, it's clay...but not the hard-as-concrete clay. Thank goodness! ;)

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2014
8:34 PM

Post #9795059

The 50/50 top soil peat should work well. With time you can add compost. Clay soils are fairly fertile. Until you can add compost you can use a chemical or organic fertilizer to provide plant nutrients.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2014
8:43 PM

Post #9795063

Depends on the area you live in, but peat is the step before it becomes coal. It CAN turn your soil into a really hard - water shedding ( not retaining) area. Peat can also burn for days even when wet. It basically depends on a LOT of different things to figure out first. Even compost turns into dirt after a bit of time... There are no sources like even a commercial source for compost?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America