Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: question about starting seeds in a plastic greenhouse tray

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 4, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rosiek
Los Angeles, CA

March 21, 2014
1:23 PM

Post #9794779

I used one of these a couple years ago and it worked fantastically. I just started a tray of seeds a few days ago and had noticed some of them just barely beginning to sprout (really more like the seeds had just cracked open) but then the other day I left the tray (with the lid on) out in the sun and I think I may have cooked them. Is this likely or am I being paranoid? It just seems there'd be more activity in there by now (it's been about six days) but I have no sprouts whatsoever.
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 21, 2014
11:18 PM

Post #9795122

Roseik I lost some seedlings that had just cracked the surface too last week because of the heat.

The seeds that haven't germinated may be OK. I'd wait several more days before giving up on them.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 22, 2014
5:28 AM

Post #9795185

With the lid on and out in the sun------that is like a very hot greenhouse!
It may have been too hot.
Seedlings need to be gradually hardened off to direct sun.
rosiek
Los Angeles, CA

March 23, 2014
4:14 PM

Post #9796315

Thanks for the replies. I've been watching them and I think that really most of them haven't begun to "hatch" yet, just kind of panicked a little. Also, I think my memory of previous seedlings is a bit off and I forgot how long it takes for them to sprout. Referred to the packages and they suggest up to 2 weeks until the seeds sprout so I'll give them another week.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2014
11:31 AM

Post #9802025

The cracking may have been the seeds absorbing water and plumping up. In that case you are still counting down the days/ weeks until germination. And yes, you may have cooked them - here in Colorado you certainly would have.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America