Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: Ponds 2014 - Spring is here!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 161, Views: 768
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2014
5:25 PM

Post #9795651

Spring has sprung, ponding has begun... :)

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2014
5:29 PM

Post #9795653

Came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1344734/#new
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2014
6:27 PM

Post #9795704

Love your fish MM.

Thank you for the new thread.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2014
8:46 PM

Post #9795792

Spring in sure here and romance must be in the air. Walked out just in time the other day to see my 2 big koi gold ones jumping straight up into the air and others sliding over the top of them. Of course first I thought sickness then watched and then fed them and they quieted right down. Just for once would like to see some babies but I'm happy if the big ladies just stay well.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2014
9:25 PM

Post #9795803

Jeff called and is excited. Seems he has a fish I think Wakin was the kind. He wants to make a trip up to Blackwater Creek Fish Farms in Eustis and see if they have more. That's the guy at Koi show that told me they had tons of solid blue in all sizes so I will go along. I really doubt it but I can look. Told him I can't go until after RU. Got way to much to do. I really don't think they sell retail. Their website is all large lots but guy at show said if you made an apmt. they would give us a tour of whole place. I'll just go for the ride.
Won't be till the end of April probably. If in fact we do get to go.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2014
4:41 AM

Post #9795875

I should have added fish that were acting looney were smaller ones in old pond. They are just largest ones in that pond.
As for the really large ones in the larger pond they are so peaceful it's pitiful. They eat so slow its funny.

Looks like another beautiful day today.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 23, 2014
4:55 AM

Post #9795880

Mm/
How many do you have and how big is your pond.

I love all the butterflies. I lost all my butterflies

My fish are swimming around but i had not fed them yet.

there;s too much crud but DH is cleaning filter very often, had not had time to vacuum.

Thank spring for us!!

belle
Bonita10
Sedona, AZ

March 23, 2014
2:03 PM

Post #9796226

I agree with bellieg, BonnieGardens, I too would like to know more about the specs of your pond! (Also regarding the Koi!)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2014
3:56 PM

Post #9796304

What are your water temps Belle? Mine are kind of swimming - more like a slow motion type of swimming.

Bonnie - have you checked the ph in your pond? Mine tend to jump if the ph is a bit high. When do your fish typically spawn?

The ice is finally off the top of my pond - but I still have some ice in my skimmer. We are into more cold weather = the weather forecast on the news said we were going to have January temps. Guess it is going to be a bit before I can get my pond opened up.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2014
7:02 PM

Post #9796422

I don't know how many fish I have (but way too many!) I have everything from 4 inches to 2 1/2 feet. My newest pond (once completed) will be 20x30, with a 12 x 17 foot waterfall/steam enterance. I'll keep my favorites, and then let some of the others go to friends and sell some. I'm trying to keep mostly butterfly, they are so mellow, I just love to watch them swim by. :)
Bonita10
Sedona, AZ

March 24, 2014
3:31 AM

Post #9796609

I am seeing a lot of ponders in FL posting & wished I lived close enough to see some of your ponds as well as attend some of the Koi shows in your area! That said, any ponders in the Sedona, AZ area (other than myself, of course - LOL!)?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2014
8:17 AM

Post #9796831

Did water test and PH is fine. Think they have spawned before but never get any babies as I don't catch them in time to separate. Carolyn can't say spawning is typical for them.

Old pond ended up being round. About 1,300 gals. Has waterfall & skimmer for air. Rocked up all around sides which I'd never do again. Too dangerous for fish and pain to clean.

Newer pond is 10 X20 and straight sides. All liner and no rocks anywhere. Also took bottom river rock out of bottom of old pond. Larger pond also has waterfalls and skimmer. If I can dig up some pics I'll put them here. Older pond gets new fish and smaller ones. Son adds to it frequently as he has small stock tank pond. Larger pond has all big fish 2' and over. Those we bought last May I think from a guy that had to get rid of them. Had some sickness problems and lost 2 just a few weeks ago but hopefully all are settled now. I have to keep up with adding summer blend and enzymes better in that pond.

Got to get to work outside now. Pool painting is nearing fruition. Yipee.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2014
8:33 AM

Post #9796853

Pics
#1 larger pond
#2old pond
#3 cumquart in larger pond is over 2 feet which all of them in there are.
#4 larger pond
#5 fish in old pond both koi and goldfish and oranda

I had to give away a lot of fish to make room for big ones but made lots of folks happy and my son was so happy to buy large ones.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2014
10:08 AM

Post #9796972

Beautiful, Bonnie. I can almost hear the waterfalls if I try hard enough!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2014
6:19 PM

Post #9797363

Bonnie, I STILL love your smaller pond with the rock waterfall! It's just so natural looking, and so calming.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2014
6:53 AM

Post #9797648

I sometimes fall asleep in one of the chairs I keep near it. Thanks all.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 25, 2014
7:45 AM

Post #9797694

Bonnie,
How can you maintain ll your ponds!! They are gorgeous!!!

I wish I live near you so I can visit.

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2014
11:04 AM

Post #9797802

I work at it all the time. Don't have a social life and don't care to. My fish are my buddies so they deserve a good clean home. At least I try to keep it that way.

Belle, if you could see what I am doing to my pool right now you would know I'm a gluten for punishment. It's very old and painted finish which is what I'm redoing. I've been prepping for about 3 weeks and almost ready to start painting. I'm also staining deck.

In one of the water garden threads I put a pic of it empty. It takes 40,000 gals. of water. Hope our well holds up to refill. I am determined to have it done before hot weather sets in.
Also next week I need to get ready for plant roundup. I'm never bored.

Wish you were closer so you could visit. You would enjoy seeing my gardens and fish.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2014
11:07 AM

Post #9797804

Bonnie

when my next door neighbor was filling his swimming pool, he called the fire department. They filled it for him at a fraction of the cost. Try giving them a call - the worst they can tell you is 'no'. Otherwise you may just empty your well.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2014
11:14 AM

Post #9797812

I tried that once and offered a $500. donation and they said they weren't allowed to do that.
It will take about 2 days to fill. I shut it off now and then to avoid burning up our well
pump. It's been done before and I have never run it dry or burned it up so I'm hoping for the same results. Where our casing ends is only 65 feet so we must be in a good stream of underground water. Keep your fingers crossed.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2014
11:46 AM

Post #9797835

Good luck!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2014
1:29 PM

Post #9797900

Thank you I'll need it.
BTW when I offered that $500. was when my business was going good. Couldn't do that now if I had to. They used to come house to house and offer a picture taking op. at the firehouse for a $25. donation cause they needed equipment. Now we are so built up out here I guess our fire tax takes care of it.

Tried to apply some deck stain on pool lip and it just ran like water. Called Lowe's and they said it has to be etched. They have something that doesn't smell like muriatic acid which is what I usually use with a respirator on. You can still smell it plus it burns when you get any on your skin. I'm done for today so will go Lowe's tomorrow. Learn something new all the time.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2014
1:37 PM

Post #9797905

Sounds like it is really labor intensive.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2014
4:58 PM

Post #9798639

Drats...just replenished the fancy guppies in my pond and had a cold snap overnight. Bleh...only found a remaining 2 out of 16.
I'm trying to not jinx Florida into a "hurricane year" by saying I'm SO OVER this weird bitter winter...but I'm SO OVER it. I apologize in advance for complaining about the summer jinxed weather to come, that will be 100 degrees because I just complained about the cold. Bear with me... :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2014
5:34 PM

Post #9798671

MM

I'll take the 100 degrees over the frigid temps.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2014
6:38 PM

Post #9798704

Weather has been unusually. TV said todays low temps. set a record for this time of year. Soon we will be very hot.

Grand sons came over today to help me and I'm wiped out. They did do a lot and I appreciated it.

Mary sorry about your guppies. I didn't think you could keep them outside at all but I don't know cause never had any of them.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2014
7:28 PM

Post #9798738

I use the pretty colored ones in the pond because they stay around the water lily leaves and pick away at the algae. I also use marble Mollies. The guppies are just plain pretty in the shallow areas.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2014
6:30 PM

Post #9799385

Finally got first coat of stain on pool lip and after etching it yesterday it stayed on and didn't run. Now need sun to dry it all up so can continue with pool surface.

Potted up some Cuban oregano and jatropha matifida for RU.

Tomorrow I get a hair cut and it will be wonderful to sit down for a while. I'm off to bed even tho its early. I'm tired.

Take care all and Mary enjoy your cute guppies and mollies.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2014
8:51 PM

Post #9799463

I'm trying to get some things potted up for the RU. Hopefully I can come for the first hour, but may drop plants off a day or 2 in advance just in case...
I don't have a lot this year, since my yard is under construction debri and what was left died off during our cold snaps. I can't even imagine what will pop up all over my yard once dormancy breaks. I dumped pots of dirt all over that I thought were empty, but maybe(?) had bulbs in them.
Finally treated myself to a key lime tree, even though it's only a foot and a half tall, it has blossoms on it.
I have one water lily that's getting very very large. I wonder what it is? I lose all my tags and have to wait until they bloom. I have some small starts for Bonnie of Tina and additional umbrella palm for whomever.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2014
6:13 PM

Post #9800060

Grandsons came again today. We really got some staining accomplished today. They are such a huge help.
MM, I know you are really going through a hard time with your yard but just think. In the end you will have created your own garden of Eden. I'm thinking about having a sign made that reads "Garden of Weeden".

We have 3 or 4 ponders coming so bring that umbrella palm as I'm sure they would appreciate it. Jeff has all of mine at his house in 5 gal. buckets and I need to get some back and fix up nice in both ponds.
Had to order a new UV today. The quartz sleeve cracked and water got into lamp also. We had a time figuring it out until Jeff came over cause GFI kept popping off and everything went out. Webb's told me I had so many pond points I got a discount so that helped. Aquatic Eco where I bought it from doesn't carry them anymore so I said ok I'll find another supplier. They are a bit higher on UV's. It's in a precarious place and I want Charlie to either move it or build a protective cover for it. Felt bad the other day I ran into waterfall house with bucket on Kubota and smashed back door in half so he had to build another one today. He didn't say one word and I was expecting a lecture. Good thing he is handy.

Mary call me if you are coming over ahead of time as I have a couple of plants I have never heard you mention and I'll get them potted up for you. Neighbor gave me a large bag of kitty litter and was told I could use that for 1 layer in pots for water lilies. Will try to buy some water lilly pots and get them set up right this time so maybe I'll finally raise some. Won't put them in ponds for fish to eat.

I know its supposed to rain tomorrow but it was supposed to rain today too and it didn't so I am going to plan on starting painting the pool tomorrow Lord willing. Pool will be aqua as usual and deck is a kind of cinnamon brown. I am so excited I am finally to this point in the project. Then I need some pretty plant pots and plants to gussy it up near house end of deck. Can't put any further out cause kids would break their neck falling over them.

Will post pics as soon as I am done with all the painting and staining.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2014
7:58 PM

Post #9800120

Bonnie, if you have somewhere safe to put the water lilies, without fishy lips munching, I promise you they will bloom like crazy! I don't even pot them up, just float them and let them eventually take root on their own. I have some in large bowls, some in smaller preformed ponds, etc. They bloom even during winter.
I'm not going to stress over my pond barely creeping along. My hubby and I are both so very busy and rarely home, we get an hour here or there, and honestly if it's only an hour, we'd rather spend the time with each other or our children and grandbabies, instead of working in the yard. My fish are frustrated, but I'm not. :) Of course I'd love it done, but I have no problem with family as my priority.
Bonnie, I'm so happy you have such wonderful grandsons to come help you! What a blessing!
It sounds like you're finally on the road to completion! I know your son helps you a lot, it's great that you have someone so close to share an interest with. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2014
2:18 AM

Post #9800189

It's 5:15AM and has been raining all night. Scratch painting today. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny all day so will wait. Will have to pump out little bit of water from bottom of pool.

Good day to house clean. YUK!

Happy weekend all.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2014
2:39 AM

Post #9800190

M Mary, you have your priorities straight and your fish don't seem to be suffering from their temp. homes. Your not loosing a lot of them so they are fine.

Sounds like lilies aren't as fussy as I've been lead to believe. That's good. I've got a couple of the blue heavy plastic drums that were used years ago to make OJ concentrate and they are 1/2 barrels so maybe they would be happy in them. Do you fertilize the water? Got some miracle grow and fish emulsion liquid. I take it they must be tropical? Guess I'm paranoid about lilies cause the 2 I bought plus what Mitsy gave me I lost.

Don't know how come but your last post just popped up after I wrote the one on 3/29.

I'm sitting next to an open window and love listening to the rain. Plants will be happy.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2014
7:55 AM

Post #9800388

I havent fertilized my lilies in years. There are always an abundance of tadpoles and tadpole poop, so I just let nature take it's course! :) Add a few mosquito fish and you have a self contained water lily garden! Yes, the ones I'm bringing you are small tropicals.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 29, 2014
8:17 AM

Post #9800405

It is raining here and the forecast is rain again tomorrow,

My kois are really swimming around but I had not fed them yet.

The water is very clear despite tons of crud-gunk at the bottom.
Have fun at the RU

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2014
11:16 AM

Post #9801168

Still have ice on the pond but it is slowly melting. And the west side of the pond where the morning sun hits the rocks heats up the soil and the little hillock is the first soil that comes out from snow. Tulip pips are showing along with columbine. I put some Algaway 5.4 in the pond at the deeper end as algae is reveling in the sun there. I don't want it to get a foothold so it becomes all but impossible to control later in spring and summer. I received my order of Aqua MedZyme since so many here use it to treat their spring ponds. Starts working at 40F. Also got AquaMeds Organic control that removes suspended organic debris, reduces excessive nutrient content. I have no shade on my pond so it goes nuts with algae of all sorts and floating tiny stuff that really ruins the clear look of the water. It is all superficial since if I use the hose sprayer to spray off the surface it is crystal clear to the bottom. Still have two fish (goldfish and koi) in the skimmer.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2014
4:22 PM

Post #9804358

2nd, coat on pool yesterday, deck done 1 coat today, almost out of stain so deck will just get 2 coats where we use the most.

Am I glad it's almost over with. Then I can work outside in the garden which I love.

Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2014
5:16 PM

Post #9804391

It looks brand new and wonderful. Iwould spend all my time there.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 3, 2014
6:04 PM

Post #9804428

Bonnie,
you are working too much!!!

Do you ever rest?

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2014
6:19 PM

Post #9804438

Looks good Bonnie.

Yesterday, I started up the main waterfalls in the pond.

Today, I dropped my phone into my pond. It is still there - I expect to find it when I vacuum this spring.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2014
7:22 PM

Post #9804474

Oh my gosh Bonnie...I admire your diligence! Congrats on getting SO far ahead of the summer!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2014
7:44 PM

Post #9804496

Carolyn you crack me up. Sorry, but it is funny
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2014
4:34 AM

Post #9804617

Mary. I have a vision of the looks on the fish's faces when the phone rings.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2014
7:34 AM

Post #9804713

rotfl. Never thought of that. It couldn't ring, could it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2014
8:39 AM

Post #9804760

No. I can't ring - it's on vibrate.

(sorry - I had to say that... hahahhaha)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2014
10:57 AM

Post #9804813

You nut!! That would drive them even crazier. I have to laugh just at the thought.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 4, 2014
11:56 AM

Post #9804833

I hope you have insurance !!!

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2014
12:21 PM

Post #9804841

Belle

wish I had insurance - :(
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2014
1:35 PM

Post #9804896

Oberon, If you'd come down and be a swimming buddy I'm sure I'd use the pool more often.
Belle, I do rest mainly in the evenings after dinner. I have a hard time sitting still for a long time, just not my nature.
M.Mary, That's exactly what I did it for now. I don't work as well in extreme heat anymore. I believe that was what brought on that little stroke I had years ago.

Carolyn, Hope your fish don't make too many long distance calls that run up your bill and no texting. Sorry it happened but you may as well laugh as cry.

On April 7 I can start filling up the pool. Carolyn I am going to check with our fireman just to see if they could help fill it. Got nothing to loose. I know their tanker truck doesn't hold enough water but it could help.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2014
2:20 PM

Post #9804945

I so agree Bonnie.

I have to tell you - a close friend of mine, that moved to South Florida is sending me an extra smart phone that she has. I have known her since we were 16 years old. She is such a life saver. I should be up and running soon.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2014
5:13 AM

Post #9805325

Carolyn,
You have so many friends and family in Fl. you may as well move here when you retire. Not that we need more retirees but you said you like heat so this would be the place for you plus we could visit now and then and swap fish and plant stories.

Sure wish you could come to the RU next Sat. You would make lots of new friends I'm sure.

I'm so happy today I get to start working outside in the gardens and ponds need cleaning also back yard needs shaping up.

M. Mary you are my best cheerleader. I do so appreciate your encouragement. Especially when my back gets tired and tells me to quit but I keep going. Seems we are jumping into hot weather shortly so I'm glad I got it done.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2014
5:55 AM

Post #9805354

Bonnie - it would be such fun, wouldn't it?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2014
8:43 AM

Post #9805450

Hey. Me too Me too!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2014
2:23 PM

Post #9806279

The more the merrier. You know the old southern saying ya'll come.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2014
6:00 AM

Post #9806715

Joining in on this. I hope to finally get my ponds built here at the new place. I have moved 3 times in 4 years and lost all my fish between all the moves. Lost all my water plants except my water lily and some horsetail plants. I have 2 pre formed ponds only 300 and 200 gallons. The big pond was left behind at the old house and is empty and unusable now.

I miss my fish and hope to start collecting more my mid summer. I had mostly butterfly fish.
Not sure what I will have this year, my grand daughter will have her goldfish pond re-established. She had some that got up to 15 inches before we moved. We were devastated when they died. But this is the year of renewing and rebuilding. If it will just quit raining!!

Looking forward to going to Bonnie's this week. I have wanted to meet her for years now. Also finally get to meet Mittsy. And many others!

Here Mary,, have not talked to you for awhile. I still have the lovely shell painting you sent me! I love it.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2014
2:15 PM

Post #9807136

Oh cool Elfie. Yes, I seem to have missed you on the sites. Hope you stick around as you rebuild your ponds and gardens. I could send you a list of what I have extra (Dmail) if you like. Not much in the way of water plants though. I heard on the news that you guys were slammed again today with wind, snow and water. Hope you are okay.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2014
11:13 PM

Post #9807484

Has,, here is what my back property looks like today!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2014
7:02 AM

Post #9807637

You are well names Mud_Elf. Looks like the Okeefenoke swamp.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2014
1:33 PM

Post #9807884

Wow, Kris! That's a big pond in your back yard!

I lost all but 12 of my koi this winter. I had some beautiful 2 footers, too. 😟. I wanted to thin them out, but NOT that way! My heater didn't work and the ice was very thick. I stopped counting the ones I was scooping out at 20. The biggest one I have now is probably 8 inches long. Oh well, I'll get to watch them grow. Many, many of those koi were born in my pond. Really sad.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2014
3:21 PM

Post #9807945

Elfie, hope your land dries out. Probably will be very dry come summer unless you get more rain than we do.

Joycet-I sure know what it's like to loose fish. Hope you get more this summer.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2014
3:45 PM

Post #9807964

That's not a pond,, that was my creek running over..lol

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2014
10:51 AM

Post #9808529

I knew that, Silly. Just teasing you!

My neighbor didn't lose any and she said I could have some. Of course, catching them is another story!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2014
9:20 AM

Post #9811348

Had a wonderful RU yesterday. Plenty of food and 2 tables of plants leftover I will find homes for. Being the host I think it's polite I don't take plants first and am always happy with anything leftover.
Missed you Merry Mary. Everyone liked the fish and they are sure putting on a show now. I think they are either mating or spawning. All kinds of bubbles on the top and lots of moving around in the water.

Happy ponding all.
Bonnie

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2014
2:31 PM

Post #9811588

All ice is gone from my pond but cowardly fish are still in hiding. I don't have plants yet as it is too cold. I put my floating 24" rings out. Last year I cut the one I had across horizontally as it stuck up out of the water too far. Then bought some wispy water type phony plants from Michaels and wired them to the foam. I will put water lettuce inside when it is warm enough. The fish will hide under there if they get scared. Also have stuff coming from TW, mostly just floaters or marginals. I see babies about 1" long swimming around. And the two lunkers in the skimmer where they hae been for over two months. I say lunkers, you would say adolescents, Only 8" long but nice and round with beautiful tails. One is orange with clear long (not like longfins though) tail and pectorals. Really pretty. I am so tempted to scare them out but that isn't fair. They will come out when they are ready. I have five nice size babies (also goldfish and maybe one shebunkin) in the tank in the house salvaged from the pond last fall. They are about 3-4" long now and really healthy. As soon as I can and the water is warm enough for them, in they go to the pond.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2014
4:12 PM

Post #9811690

Oberon, glad you have some fish to start off summer with. Sounds like some are really pretty and that's always more enjoyable.

Joycet, I learned the hard way and from some fish judges at koi show. Best way to catch the fish is bring them to the surface with dip net and then slide them into a fish sock. Yes fish socks are not cheap but they prevent any snagged scales like they get in nets. When their scales get ripped off they are open to infections. Don't want to tell you how I know about that. They can't get hurt in a fish sock.
Good luck getting some home.

Bonnie

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 13, 2014
6:06 PM

Post #9811773

I wish I live near you Bonnie. What kind of plants were left.

Belle
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 14, 2014
5:07 AM

Post #9812064

Here's a photo of my pond project yesterday. It's a fish viewing device made with an old aquarium. The fish love it and it was so full at first that they had to take turns getting in!

Thumbnail by pondlove

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2014
5:45 AM

Post #9812087

I've seen those balls before (expensive!!). Never thought about using an aquarium! That works perfectly! Neat!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2014
7:00 AM

Post #9812162

Belle, most are not labeled so I really don't know what many of them are. I won't waste them I'll put the in someplace and see what grows if anything.

Pondlove, I can't see how the fish can get it that aquarium when it looks to be way above the pond water level. What am I missing?
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 14, 2014
9:22 AM

Post #9812336

Bonnie,

The bottom edge of the aquarium sits a few inches below the water level. Place it deep enough to account for fluctuations in the water level. I have it sitting on cement blocks at either end so the middle is open to the pond and allows plenty of room for the larger fish to enter.

Simply place the aquarium on the blocks. Then put the hose of either a wet vac or pond vac in all the way to the top of the tank. Turn on the vac and bingo, all of the air leaves and the container fills to the top with water.

To entice the fish, release a fistful of food into the tank from the bottom. In a few moments you have a fish frenzy.

I have previously used a large vase or bell jar but found them to be dangerously unstable. One broke in the pond but fortunately I found all the pieces before any liner damage was done. Besides, they have become too small for the bigger shubunkin.

I plan to put some lights in it, too, so I can enjoy their antics at night.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2014
2:16 PM

Post #9812615

I showed it to my husb. and he said the aquarium has to be upside down but I didn't think it looked it otherwise I would have known immediately how you did it.

Makes a great observation place. I do have a spare 30 gal. aquarium but don't think I'll do that cause I don't have any small fish anymore. Ones in larger pond are over 2 feet and weigh 24 pds. Those lunkers might knock it over and break it. In smaller pond none are under a foot. I did have some shubunkins until our first heron visit and he ate them all and left the larger ones.

Lighting it sounds great. Enjoy
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2014
2:36 PM

Post #9812634

Bonnie

Sounds like the goldfish taste better to the heron than the koi...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2014
8:47 PM

Post #9812970

Pondlove.. what a great idea. I have a 50 gallon aquarium we are not using. I am going to do this as it will be perfect for my new pond. I will be starting out with really small fish anyway. So this will last at least a year or 2 or 3 for me!!

I am on the way home as we speak. Enjoyed my visit to Florida, but really wish I could have driven down. I could have bought back some plants...sigh.

Mary, I will let you know if I need anything. Right now I want to work on what I have. Plus get my pond started. Thanks so much for the offer!!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2014
9:22 AM

Post #9813389

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IsNlD-asw4

And probably cheaper than this!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2014
9:32 AM

Post #9813398

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WlF5U_PGTk

I guess you can try anything clear!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2014
9:34 AM

Post #9813401

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJprKL_24ZA

Here's a link how to install the purchased ones, so it may help everyone to install their aquariums or whatevers!
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 15, 2014
2:01 PM

Post #9813588

Check out this youtube video called "Koi fish play in fish tank". It shows the kind of set up I have and that large koi will fit into it.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2014
4:57 AM

Post #9816936

While watching some youtube videos came across an excellent site for info.

Sacrementokoi.com

Learned a lot of good info.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2014
7:31 AM

Post #9817049

Thanks!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2014
8:08 AM

Post #9817057

We fired up the pond yesterday and did an initial clean up. Bio well is not assembled yet as the stuff going through would just clog it up. Double filter pads in the skimmer. Will wait a little then add barley stuff and MedZyme Organic Cleaner that is supposed to break down what is left. Just trying the barley and OC this year as it seems to work for others outside. No sign of fish yet. Cowards.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2014
9:58 AM

Post #9817140

Lol. Mary!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2014
12:40 PM

Post #9817186

Damien says he is going to get the bio-well going today. So we will add the stuff today. Water is clear but bottom and sides are yuk.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2014
12:04 AM

Post #9817533

I am hoping to get started this week on digging the holes for the ponds. One is just for my lotus. One is for fish,, and a small one for minnows for my DH. He wants to raise his own fish bait..lol
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2014
4:15 PM

Post #9819111

Pond is up and running. Just one more pump (pressure filter and UV attached ) to fire up. I tried the barley stuff in the pond and it seems to be doing good stuff. I will give it another treatment then get out the vacuum. Damien gave it a rough cleaning over the weekend. No sign of fish but they will come.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2014
5:15 PM

Post #9819154

If you build it, they will come!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2014
6:52 PM

Post #9819247

I put my floating circles (about 24" across) in the pond and put a sheet of filter fiber on top to make a shade place for the fish. I had to attach a lead weight to keep them by the deep end where they hopefully will quit sluffing off and come out. There are some 2" babies and other smaller ones also out and about. Still can't figure out what the metallic light gray ones are. I have two in the tank in the house and one turned bright gold. The other never changed. The ones in the pond are hard to see because the bottom is dark but they look pretty dark. I run back at least 6 times a day to look and just before bed, in my bathrobe no less, I look one last time. goofy.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2014
8:37 AM

Post #9819605

Not goofy! I go outside with the back lights and a flashlight to look!

I can hear the sound of the waterfalls through the closed porch door when I go to bed at night. I love that sound. It is so soothing.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2014
9:16 AM

Post #9819634

I love the Pondzyme with Barley. Tried it for the first time this year. The algae was growing even when the pond was half covered in ice so I dosed it with some Algaway 5-4 and it worked. If I can keep it from getting ahead of me I should have a much nicer pond. The barley is really eating away at the stuff left on the bottom and rocks. I just applied the second dose. Water itself is crystal clear but that hasn't really been the problem. It has been the green stuff. D wants to start up the pressure filter and UV's this weekend so I am dosing while I can without worrying about turning off the UV so it won't kill the good bacteria. Only need them off for three days but still have to remember.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2014
2:20 PM

Post #9819831

Just sitting here on my swing with one of the kitties and a beer. I love the sound of my waterfall.

Thumbnail by joycet   Thumbnail by joycet         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2014
4:39 PM

Post #9819937

Joyce - I love your pond and your kitty!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2014
4:43 PM

Post #9819941

I love the look of your pond.. that cat is a keeper too.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2014
4:51 PM

Post #9819946

Thank you. I love them both!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2014
5:17 PM

Post #9819984

Lovely pond. Water falls are so soothing. Both of mine are noisy but I like them. Somebody suggested I add some small stones to make it a trickle sound. 1 I could but the other is up too high and falls from a form. Would be a change. Fish hide under them all the time so I guess they like all the splashing water.

Enjoy
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2014
5:25 PM

Post #9819987

Love the kitty! I have siamese kitties! (a lavender point and seal point) My sister is in Dublin, I always see a guy who lists fish from the Columbus area (is that you?) The waterfall is wonderful! My new waterfall will be at the back of the yard flowing toward our backdoor deck. The smaller one we have currently closer to the deck gets so loud we often times turn it off to talk! :)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2014
7:26 PM

Post #9820099

That is loud!!

I'm about an hour from Columbus. I didn't advertise any fish and since I lost all but thirteen I might have to look him up!

Riley is a Ragdoll cat. He's a Blue Mitted with a blaze. I do have a Siamese though. He's a seal. He came from a black mama and an unknown daddy! (She's a slut).

Thumbnail by joycet

quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2014
5:50 PM

Post #9823575

Hey y'all, New Jersey here, after I killed off all my Koi last year I just put in 13 tadpoles and 13 trapdoor snails. Since i don't have any big fish any more, saw your pics Bonnie and am jealous, I expect the tads to grow up I think they have been eaten before they could mature in years past.
Does any one know how to get rid of the brown rock slime, guess ts some kind of algae, the water is clear but everything in the pond is covered with this stuff, its like jello only nasty...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2014
6:55 PM

Post #9823651

Yuk. No clue. All I get is algae. Wonder if it would respond to the same stuff that kills algae.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2014
5:23 AM

Post #9823851

Do you add pond bacteria of some sort? Occasionally I get jelly looking stuff in my filters after I add a heavy dose.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2014
9:32 AM

Post #9825200

Never seen anything brown like a jelly but sure have had other mess in ponds.

Just did a water change, vacuum and put new bacteria in. Large pond is clear to bottom and hoping smaller one will clear soon. Uv's really help and have new ones on both now. Unfortunately company that made lamps for old ones were not available but that's ok cause the lamps from Tetra are cheaper.

Don't know who said ponds were cheap to keep but they are wrong. They are a delight to me though.

M. Mary hope you are progressing on your pond digging.

quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2014
6:29 AM

Post #9826884

being its been so cold here its tough to find "cold water" bacteria, but I found some and have put two doses in and so far no improvement, but I'll keep pushing to get my "clear to the bottom" pond...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2014
7:50 AM

Post #9826949

Fish have erupted from sleep. Have seen several and they are large (for me at least). Still really spooky so I cannot approach the pond or they head for the cave. The water appears to be 52 according to my Pampered Chef thermometer. Can't find my regular pond thermometer. Not sure I can trust it. Will put it in the freezer to be sure it can go below 52.

So I guess I will put a little wheat germ food out there for them.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2014
9:09 AM

Post #9827027

I have been thinking that I need to check the water temps to see if I should be feeding the fish. Seems like I am always coming and going! I did notice on the weather report that we were not supposed to have any more nights below the low 40's. I am hoping.

On Monday, DH and I lifted the waterlilies and fertilized them and moved them back to the other end of the pond. They always flowered nicely there before, but he wanted to give them a try on the other end of the pond last year - I am glad we have that chore finished - it was late in the year for us. I have seen in my journals where we have done it in March. Brrrr... not this past March.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2014
9:40 AM

Post #9827053

I really need to do that. Thanks for the reminder. I should be getting my TWL order of plants very soon. Should only have to hold them for a bit in the garage.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2014
7:02 AM

Post #9827785

The fish are slowly getting used to me again. Not all bolting for the caves, well hardly. I put some food in the pond for them. Not sure they really see it as I fished out a bit from the skimmer and put it back in the pond. Will get a new pond thermometer to be sure of the temp. I am so thrilled as they are big and healthy. Hmmm. Maybe time to add the spring meds from AquaMeds. I am out of ProForm but have AquaPrazi.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2014
10:23 AM

Post #9827905

I added AquaMeds to the pond for the first time. Also the Spring and Summer MicrobeLift PL. I have never had such a clean pond at this point. Oh, it needs vacuuming but that is minor. By now the algae would be everywhere. Starts before the ice has melted where the water spout we set up keeps the ice open somewhat and the sun hits the rocks on the west side of the pond. I treated with the barley stuff asap and it all died. So I have gotten a jump on it. Don't know if that takes care of the spring start up 'bloom' or not but I am tickled pink. Thanks to all who recommended the stuff. Carolyn for sure.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2014
3:06 PM

Post #9828180

Mary - my husband is the one that discovered the Pondzyme, but I definitely swear by it.

Figured out why we had clarity problems last year - we never cleaned the quartz sleeves. We did do that this year - Right now, the water is crystal clear - I am hoping we can keep the clarity through the season.

We have one pump that is shot - it is one of the Pondmasters, and we figure it has to be all of 9 years old or so, so it really owes us nothing. I know he was looking at pumps online earlier - still have to check Webbs.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2014
3:46 PM

Post #9828228

It is beautiful out side and I have been sitting by the pond dozing and watching the fish swim out to where I threw some food. Still skittish but at least they will come out for that.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2014
4:12 PM

Post #9828245

It was beautiful earlier here - hubs and I had coffee on the back deck with the fish - my daughter is here this weekend, so we spent the day together. So much fun and so good to see her - I will see her again tomorrow - it is getting cool right now though.

Back into the 30's at night - I wish it would warm up and stay there. I noticed some of my daffs by the deck are starting to bud - going through some of my pictures, I see where they are normally flowering about the 3rd week in April...

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2014
5:20 PM

Post #9828316

Hmmm. Mine are up only a few inches. No buds. I have buds on my tulips though. I planted daffys in a whiskey barrel in the front yard and they all rotted. I think they were to far out of the ground. Well the barrel was and so the soil got too cold.

Turning my babies loose from the tank in the house back to their home in the pond. Soooo glad. Really tired of cleaning that tank.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2014
4:20 AM

Post #9828561

Glad you are all doing so well with your ponds and fish.

Got woke up yesterday morning by racket from toads. At daylight went out and found 7 pairs mating around the perimeter of the large pond. Guess they will put a lot of tadpoles into pond.
Fish will have lunch. Just don't want any CTF like last year. So far only killed 1.

Found out why old pond is so brown. Somehow a pot got full of dirt and rocks and 4 little water lily leaves (finally) got dumped into it. Got to drag the vacuum out again. Then will put PondZyme in again.

Rained a nice steady rain here all day yesterday. Got 2" which we could use a lot more but at least we got some. N. Fl. got 23 inches and has some flooding so I'm not complaining at all.

So glad you have some live fish Oberon. Carolyn hope you stay warmed up in the pond and above.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2014
6:12 AM

Post #9828643

Sad news...So haven't been on for a few days because I lost all of my fish in 2 ponds.
Happy campers the day before, went out for the morning feed and every single one was dead. Most in the one pond were my better fish, I had moved them in there earlier in the month because they hadn't spawned yet, and I wanted the best of the best to breed together.
Anywhooo, long sad story short, we've been getting tons of rain here over the past few days. I talked to several koi experts, and because the water tests had all been perfect up to that point, all agreed it had to be a sudden ph crash from the overabundance of water. They said anytime you've already done the spring parasite treatment routine, have healthy fish, great water quality, and have a massive total fish kill, it's almost always an electrical current, poisoning, or ph. No current ( Iwas in the water scooping dead fish) no pesticide poisoning ( I have a fenced yard and the fish in the pool are fine) no disease (all spring preventatives had already been done) so it boils down to a weird ph crash.
I can honestly say I've NEVER ever ever worried about ph. In all of the years I've had fish, it has never been a problem, nor has heavy rain. But, we've also had a minimum of 6 inches in 72 hours.
However...and this is what I think is the most interesting part...one expert in a forum I had posted on, responded after everyone else. He asked me if the heavy rains brought out toads! I said yes, in abundance! ( the pond I'm referring to is small, maybe only 8x10, 3 feet deep, but has tons of filteration on it so I can have a heavier fish load) Anywhoo, he said that the ph crash from the abundant rain weakened the fish, but the toxins from the toads breeding is what did them in. The day before I had commented to my husband just how many were in the pond. I had counted 23 PAIRs of toads. That's a lot of toadly man juice being sprayed in the water, plus toad tinkle, plus their normal skin toxins. Because toads have a slightly bitter toxic taste, the koi don't eat their toadpoles like they do frog tadpoles. Frogs also breed faster and the eggs float on the surface. Toads sort of "stew" for hours in the pond, leaving long strings off eggs all over everything. Usually, it doesn't make much of a difference, but when you have as many as I did, it totally pollutes the water with toxins and protien.
It all made a great deal of sense to me. But, being a non-stop thinker, I still had just a sminch of concern that it could have been something else? I dropped the water level and cried, and pulled out my jumbo 28 inch beauties and put them in the trash.
Because I had dropped the water level, the toads couldn't get in there (I have straight down sides, not gradual depths)
Next day, all of the toads had gone into the little pond, where I had all of my shubunkin and sarassa goldfish. Most were butterfly and around 14 -15 inches.
Almost all were dead...
Now I KNOW that toads are a problem! I don't mind a few, but I know to watch out for an abundance all at the same time. Last year I netted tons of them and relocated them to a stream back by a park. I'm going to begin doing that again, in combo with back washing the filter and adding some clean water.

Ugh...I've prepared for just about everything through the years. I've been very diligent about water quality, disease, protection. But ph combined with massive toad sperm was never even in my thinking pattern! Who knew???

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2014
6:31 AM

Post #9828674

Oh my gosh, Mary, I'm so sorry! I lost all but 12 of my koi due to our harsh winter. Biggest one I have left is probably about 10 inches. All the big ones gone. I so know how sad you're feeling.

Thank you so much for telling about the toads. I had no idea. I'll be watching better now. I do have a ton of tadpoles right now, but I'm pretty sure they're frogs.

Chin up! Start all over!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2014
8:39 AM

Post #9828775

I am so very very sorry Mary. You are so great with your methodology on your fish and treatment of your ponds. Words just don't express my sympathy enough. To be so blindsided by what hasn't been a problem, at least a fatal one, before is ... so shocking.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 3, 2014
10:39 AM

Post #9828867

Very soooorrrry Merry. Terrible, terrible!!!

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2014
5:29 PM

Post #9829141

Mary glad you shared this. Yesterday there was 8 pair of toads breeding around the edge of the larger pond on the wood beams. This morning all the larger fish were swimming around and acting like they were breeding or spawning. Water was toped with much foam and I thought it was probably eggs. This afternoon they calmed down and only saw 2 pair of toads.

First thing in the morning I will do water test and get rid of ALL the toads. I can relocate them to canal. Now I'm really concerned.

Was the water in the 2 ponds affected foamy??

Would appreciate your calling me.

I certainly am sorry for all you lost. 352-3394-4883
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2014
8:08 PM

Post #9829265

Sorry Bonnie...just saw this (it's after 11pm) Yes, there was foam, which is a sign of too much protein. Usually, it's not a big deal, but I just had way too many all at the same time. I always have multiples in there, but I've never seen the amount of pairs I've seen over the past few days. If possible, drop the water a bit and add some fresh water in there if you think you've had toad spawning and fish spawning on top of it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2014
10:05 AM

Post #9829619

Wow Mary - I am so sorry. Who would have thought.

I think we all need to pay attention to this - I don't see many toads in my yard, however, I am sure if conditions are right, that could change.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2014
10:59 AM

Post #9829652

Oh my!, does anyone know if I can use roofing liner as a pond liner?? Because I found a place that will sell it to me for $10 for a huge sized piece!! I need info as to if it would hurt my fish when I get to that point?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2014
9:40 PM

Post #9830142

Damien hooked up the pressure filter today. Not sure if he did the 55W UV. I was busy planting my raised beds and cutting suckers from my caragena. More things popping up around the yard. I fed my fish and they are starting to look for the food. I will be spending a lot of time around the pond this summer if the weather just holds. By fall the pond should be full of fish. Those from last year that are bigger, those I kept in the tank in doors and now in the pond, and babies that came out of the ice ranging from teeny tiny to suprisingly larger ones. Wonder if they are actually second year babies. Most are black. I had forgotten that I had bought a blackish koi with a bit of dark orange. It is a female judging by all the chasing going on. She must be the source of all the dark babies.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2014
6:52 AM

Post #9830326

M Mary that's exactly what I did plus tested for everything. Foam disappeared by night time.
I was out there at 10PM with spotlight checking on them. Can you tell I panicked after reading your post. Went into water and moved my hands around to see if there were any strings of eggs in there. I didn't have near the amount of toads you had.

Went to a site for further toad info. Repeated about what you said. I certainly will be more watchful from here on. Don't understand why there were none around little pond. Never found a 1. When I first saw them I could easily have netted them all up but thought they were harmless. Thanks so much Mary for making us all aware.

Elfie, I wouldn't use roofing liner for a pond liner. Too many chemicals on it. Just my thoughts.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2014
6:57 AM

Post #9830332

You would think they would build in chemicals to the roof liners to discourage moss growth. Just thinking.

Have I mentioned how much I love the barley treatment. The light film that has always been on my pond surface is gone. It was harmless but just really detracted from the pond's clarity. I ordered some organic stuff to further eat sludge and the dead algae from AquaMeds but haven't tried it yet. The algae would normally be going nuts by now but is pretty much dead with the regular treatments. Thrilled about that too as it has been an annual pain, especially around the pots of lilies and water plants that get all season fertilizer stakes.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2014
8:38 AM

Post #9831286

I did a bit of research and here is what I found. Many people agree about the chemical,,, however everyone agrees that you can pressure wash the chemical off as it is just Talc Powder.
Apparently many people agree it is exactly the same product, just one has the powder and the other doesn't.

So here is what I am going to do, I will make 3 medium sized ponds with the piece I am getting.
One will have water plants only, one will have minnows. For my DH to fish with. The last one will have the $0.19 gold fish from pets mart. That way if they live 2 to 3 years I will know if they are going to be ok for other types of fish. I have had no luck at all with Koi, but goldfish are my favorites, and I have had great luck with them.

I will post pictures on a new thread as I build these. That way I will be able to track my progress!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2014
9:51 AM

Post #9831361

Oh how exciting. I love to see new ponds or redo in process. Glad the liner will work for you. Good to research rather than accept 'guesses' from others.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2014
10:43 AM

Post #9831401

We'll it will still be experimental,, but it will be controlled experiments. So we will see. I hope it all goes well.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2014
11:11 AM

Post #9831431

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I knew a gal that cut open a large construction grade garbage bag and made that into a pond liner and she said she had it for years before she replaced it with another. So anything goes.

Good luck Elfie.

Has all that water dried up that was in your backyard. Is that just a wet weather pond. We have lots of them here.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2014
11:17 AM

Post #9831436

Okay. I may be overdoing the pond additive stuff.
PondZyme
AquaMeds
Microe-Lift PL both liquid and packet

Hmmm. I think that is all. Water is clear, pond walls and floor only has the short dead stuff that needs a vacuuming or scrubbing. Fish are happy.

I am out of PondZyme - should I reorder and continue through summer? Are any of these duplicates? Should I discontinue AquaMeds as have dosed pond three times?

UV's are off while the above is going on plus algae is all but non-existent which is a miracle considering the gorgeous days (today being an exception with rain, though most welcome).
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2014
11:24 AM

Post #9831444

Oberon so glad your pond is clear. That's wonderful. I use Pondzyme all summer. On larger pond I've been using something called Summer Blend. I'm watching both to see which does better.

Well today Charlie has been digging under concrete walkway around pool near skimmer and he found the leak. Can you imagine 2" copper pipe. Pray we find a threaded fitting or else he doesn't know how he's going to replace it. Just digging under all that concrete gives me the willies. Say a little prayer. Copper has been in contact with dirt since 1952 so nothing lasts forever. Sure hope we can fix it. Would save us a lot of water being drawn from our well every day.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2014
11:42 AM

Post #9831459

Holy cow. Under concrete. How far beneath it is he while digging? Hope he has someone watching his back while he is working. Can't you just sauder the leak or is it too big. Or perhaps the entire pipe has to be replaced if it is entirely in contact with the dirt. 1952?? Well, it lasted a long time.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2014
11:50 AM

Post #9831460

Bonnie,
Will it be easier to cut and abandon that line all together and reroute a new one out of PVC? I know when our old copper pipes started leaking, the repairs were good, but never ending. Another hairline crack would develop elsewhere. We finally replumbed and eliminated the problems and the headaches. Let me know if you need anything. I have some time tomorrow and Friday.
Hang in there...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2014
12:06 PM

Post #9831472

Geez Bonnie,, I f I was there I could help re plumb!! I have done my house!

Check into the new stuff at Home Depot. It is called PEX! It is a flexible plumbing pipe. It will bend and save you $$$ in fixtures, lasts about 25 years, is very easy to work with?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2014
4:54 PM

Post #9831681

I am really sold on the PondZyme with Barley. I just ordered more from Pet Mountain. Got 3 1# containers for $51.50 with 10% off that. Postage an amazing $8.63. Dirt cheap. I will finish up the load of Algaway I got from MicrobeLift if I need it for summer bloom but it doesn't look like I will need it at this point. Drat. Also need to order more AquaMeds. Haven't used them before but I am taking no chances.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2014
5:16 PM

Post #9831698

Elfie I am removing my lilies, I might have different colors to offer for your new ponds. Let me know if you are interested. Leaving for a visit with family in KY then on home for the summer.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2014
7:35 PM

Post #9831875

Yes!,!, Please. Let me know what I owe you! I should have the ponds set up by the time you get home.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2014
6:39 AM

Post #9832117

Elfie - what is PEX? I have never heard of it? When do you plan on starting your pond? I am looking forward to photos.

Mary - Hubs and I swear by the Pondzyme. I did luck out on Amazon this past year for mine. I haven't started adding it yet, but soon. My water temps keep going from about 52- 56 degrees. We are supposed to warm up at the end of this week. Water is crystal clear though.

Bonnie - wish I was there to help. Under concrete? Is that safe? Keep us posted.

More company this week and then next week my sister is coming in for my son's college graduation. He is graduating with honors and has already been accepted into grad school. (I am so proud of him - can you tell?).

Anyway - I am not awol - just so busy already. :-)

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2014
11:15 AM

Post #9832343

Congratulations. I would be busting my buttons if one of my children had accomplished what you son has, despite obstacles.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2014
11:41 AM

Post #9832369

http://www.pexinfo.com

Here is all the info on Pex. You can get it at Lowes and Home Depot.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2014
3:43 PM

Post #9832526

Oberon his body isn't under the concrete. I dug some out with long handled shovel. When he cuts pipe he will have to have his arms under but that's about all. I'm no good in close places.
M Mary that's what we are doing. cutting it off and putting in whole new line to filter.

I can't tell him anything about fixing anything so after 56 years I no longer try.

Elfie I am trying to get him to read about Pex. I will surely use it in the future for anything I do. Will also tell my youngest son. Will go by a piece just to have on hand.
Thanks all for your suggestions. Do appreciate
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2014
4:42 PM

Post #9832571

Okay. Should have known better. You guys have been building stuff for years and years and know how to do it safely.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2014
5:44 PM

Post #9832618

BonnieGardens wrote: I dug some out with long handled shovel.

Funny thing is, I read that as 'I dug him out with a long handled shovel'.

Thank you Mary, he has had a lot of obstacles. I will probably bawl like an idiot.

Started feeding the fish today - I think they were surprised.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2014
7:03 PM

Post #9832674

No problem Bonnie,,, after losing all our pipes 3 times this past winter I am replacing each and every pipe before winter!! I am not going to be fixing broken pipes in 20 degree weather ever again!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2014
9:09 AM

Post #9833098

Carolyn I laughed so hard when I read your post. Son stopped by on his way home from work. Cut off pipe and put on new one so we are testing it now. Hopefully pool will be back up for this weekend as we have some of our kids coming over. Their kids love the pool.

Elfie glad your replacing your plumbing. Didn't know Al got that cold enough to break pipes. I know what that is from when we lived in RI. and Conn. Ug!!!

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TOO ALL OF YOU MOTHERS

bONNIE

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2014
9:12 AM

Post #9833101

Oh yes. For sure. Happy Mother's Day to all... we growers are mothers to our plants after all. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2014
10:40 AM

Post #9835030

VERY happy to report pool is up and running. Jeff is coming over to grill some ribs so I will swim with his kids while he cooks tomorrow. He said he will bring some sides. Good deal.
No mother should have to cook on Mothers Day in my humble opinion. I did when they were little but not any more. HeHeHe

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2014
11:16 AM

Post #9835049

Oh thank goodness Bonnie! It would have been horrible to go through all of the draining and sanding and recoating, only to not be able to use it! I'm so glad it worked out! Happy Mother's Day timing, too!
Spent all morning injecting my remaining fish, they hadn't spawned yet and the weather is getting very hot, so often times they won't if they missed the first window of opportunity. Wanted to keep my remaining females healthy, and have them drop their eggs. There are eggs everywhere, but I doubt any of them are fertile. I don't have that many mature males left.
Still have a few to do, but will probably have to hold off until later in the week. The backyard smells like a tidepool on a hot day, but at least I got something accomplished. My hubbie just looooooves this time of year (Not!) but he's a trooper. Some fish are too large for me to anesthetise and hold while manually spawning them. He's my muscle. :)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 10, 2014
11:40 AM

Post #9835062

MM,
I don't understand , please explain

"Some fish are too large for me to anesthetise and hold while manually spawning them. He's my muscle. :)

Bonnie,

Enjoy your cook out

Happy Mothers day to all!!!

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2014
12:11 PM

Post #9835081

Belle -

It is rather like the business of artificially inseminating race horses - but on a koi level. :-)

Happy Mothers' Day everyone.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2014
1:01 PM

Post #9835127

Carolyn...correct. First you anesthetize them, then you inject them with a spawning hormone, that makes them spawn about 6 hours later. Breeders use this method to not get a flock spawning, like we usually get in our ponds, but to be able to mix a select male with a select female. Here in Florida, if the water gets too hot, too fast, the koi won't spawn. Although I've only had several koi in all these years, get egg impacted, after losing my whole one pond to toad sperm (who knew!) I wanted to make sure to keep the others healthy and have them drop their eggs, even if I don't have any babies this year.
After they are in sleepy land, you gently massage their stomach to release the eggs. (you do this to the males as well, if you want to mix the 2 and fertilize the eggs) Some of my fish are very heavy, so that's where my hubbie comes in...he holds them in the wet towel, while I massage.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2014
5:42 AM

Post #9835587

That's really cool!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2014
6:44 AM

Post #9835637

I have 1 of Jeffs here that looks like she is still carrying eggs. Large belly. I know they spawned because I saw all the commotion going on in the larger pond.
Going to keep eye on her cause I don't want her to get egg bound. Guess it is a common happening. M. Mary do you know the shelf life of the anesthetic? I know it is available from Aquatic Eco in Apopka.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2014
7:33 AM

Post #9835696

Bonnie, it's a dry powder, so it lasts a looooong time. Let me know if you need help, I can help you one afternoon. :) I only use about half a teaspon, with a teaspoon of baking soda, to about 5-6 inches of water in a large rubbermaid tubby. If you only have one fish, I think I have enough Ovaprim left. Let me know if you think it's neccessary and I can help inject her.
Your pond is shadier than mine, so the water may be cooler, and she'll get going by herself? My temporary pool is only 2 feet deep, and in direct sun. If you manually spawn her, pick a male that would blend well with her, and we can attempt fertilizing eggs to see what you get!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2014
7:49 AM

Post #9835719

Boy wouldn't a 2 foot pond in direct sun get awfully warm down there? I do understand that it is temporary. Do you sell your babies, Mary? You must get a gazillion of them with your huge fish. I mentioned that for the first time our pond has a fair number of babies (from 1/2" to about 2"). Some that nondescript orange and white plus lots of the strange blackish ones with flashes of 14k type gold. Not orange. I am hoping I saw some with a flash of deeper orange or red. They would have to be offspring of the black koi I have. How neat that would be.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2014
9:26 AM

Post #9835783

I sometimes sell the nicer ones, but just give a lot away. Unless I really want to deal with tons of babies, I usually don't worry TOO much about it, and they just eat the eggs as they lay them.
Remember, with koi, about 75% are non-colored brown babies that are useless to the commercial market. The koi breeders just throw them up on the birm of the ponds and let the seagulls have lunch. But you really have to want to deal with all of that if you get into the koi business. I'm more of a "they're my pets" person.

As a side note, after all the years of trying to find better spawning matter (and it's usually expensive as well!) I decided to cut leaves off my banana tree, bundle 4 together with a large rubber band, and throw them in. I had several bundles floating around. Worked like a charm! And it was FREE. Yay! :)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2014
9:39 AM

Post #9835799

Banana Leaf Koi eggs

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2014
9:47 AM

Post #9835811

Oh hh,, how cool!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2014
9:54 AM

Post #9835813

No, I didn't think you were into it commercially. Just couldn't figure out what you did with all the 'rejects.' Guess seagulls have to eat too. I guess. :)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2014
3:46 PM

Post #9836167

Rejects I give away!~ The breeders feed the birds. :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2014
3:49 PM

Post #9836174

Ja vohl... got it
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2014
6:27 AM

Post #9836726

Got a neighbor with plenty of banana trees. I'll get some. Still have the new mop heads I bought for that purpose. Think I'll throw them in now.

Jeff put her back into old smaller pond yesterday so we could see her more easily. I'll keep an eye on her. I thought she would expel the eggs during spawning but maybe not. If she doesn't get any larger in the stomach I'll not worry about her.

Got to take some pics of what Jeff snuck over to our house yesterday while we were on the way to his house and put out around the pond for Mothers Day for me. Boy was I surprised.

Bonnie
pondlove
Lewes, DE

May 12, 2014
5:14 PM

Post #9837234

Think it's time for a new thread?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2014
6:08 PM

Post #9837279

Um, probably.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2014
7:42 PM

Post #9841820

Mothers Day gift from son Jeff & Fam.

Steel butterflies lazer cut out of steel. Beautiful

They will outlast me. He hid them around larger pond in ferns.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens      

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 18, 2014
3:15 AM

Post #9841942

beautiful!!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America