Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: Vacuums

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 11, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bonita10
Sedona, AZ

March 23, 2014
5:53 AM

Post #9795906

What product do members suggest for a pond vacuum? (Pond specs are: 7,000 gals, 3ft deep, Koi & gold fish habitat) The water itself is crystal clear, kept that way largely via using a biological filter and plants (no chemicals whatsoever). Nevertheless, light "muck" does build-up on the bottom, which is the primary purpose for the vacuum.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2014
4:21 PM

Post #9796320

Bonita -

Muck will happen because of your fish. I use a leaf vac sucker type of thing, but I also have built in bogs to help take care of the crud.

Bonita10
Sedona, AZ

March 23, 2014
8:41 PM

Post #9796523

This will showcase how new I am to all of this. Oh well! Carolyn22, what is a "built in bog" and how does it help to take care of the crud?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2014
8:17 AM

Post #9796833

Bonita

The 'crud' I am referring to is fish waste. I am at work, but can show you pictures of what I mean. These bogs help me with the filtration in the pond. I don't have a bottom drain in my pond, so I need something to help with the filtration.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2014
8:43 AM

Post #9796863

Supposed to be best pond vac. on the market. I bought it. Oasis Pond O Vac 4. A little over $300. It does suck up muck from the bottom and leave it perfectly clean but leaves is what I wanted it for. On that score it leaves a lot to be desired.
Oberon has 1 also but I don't think she has the same kind of leaves we have here in Fl. She is in Alaska. Built my ponds right under oak tree as I didn't want fried koi and in Fl. summers are pretty hot. Now oak bloom is falling and a real mess. I net it all out twice a day between other chores. If you could find someone that had one I sure would recommend you try it out before purchase.
Bonnie
pondlove
Lewes, DE

March 24, 2014
10:06 AM

Post #9796968

I also have the Oase pond vac as well as trees near my pond that drop leaves and stuff. The pond vac is the best on the market and does a fantastic job on the muck. It will also suck up leaves if there are not too many but sometimes the leaves clog up the works. Then the vac has to be shut off and you and have to pull the leaves out of the hoses. It's a small inconvenience in my opinion.
Bonita10
Sedona, AZ

March 24, 2014
8:24 PM

Post #9797434

Does anyone know of an outlet that presently has an Oasis Pond O Vac 4 for sale? (Any I have seen have to be back ordered.) I am fortunate to not have built the pond under any trees, so don't have the "leaf issue" to deal with. (Are there "attachments" one needs to purchase separately?)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2014
6:49 AM

Post #9797644

Got mine from Drs.Foster&Smith.com Attachments come with it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2014
8:44 AM

Post #9797744

I know that MM does well with Ebay. You may want to check to see whom she deals with on ebay. I have done well on Amazon, however, I have not bought equipment there.

Other than that, the sales tend to be as the ponding season winds down.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2014
10:54 AM

Post #9797797

That's right Carolyn I got mine at end of season. They are considered best on the market.

Webb's had a 4 day sale on Microblift products so I ordered some to keep on hand.

I have bought lots of equipment on Amazon and never had any problems with receiving in a timely manner. Just got 2 of my favorite watering wands (Orbitz) from Amazon and they came from Utah in 3 days. Ordered Fri. & got them Mon. I've tried lots of different kinds but these are the best so far. 9 spray patterns and rotating head. Very handy. Sound like a commercial don't I.
I do know Oase is a private company and has authorized dealers. They are on line and I called them and they told me who carried it. Just don't know how to say their name. It's German I think.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2014
11:05 AM

Post #9797803

Best pricing I saw for the Pondzyme was on Amazon. With a Prime member ship too - that helps.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2014
11:08 AM

Post #9797808

Got plenty of Pondzyme on hand I ordered Microblift PL. Also, have meds on hand too. I'm getting a little smarter. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America