Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: Oh, No! I have mold! Help!

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 8, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardennanna
Litchfield, IL

March 26, 2014
3:14 PM

Post #9798583

All of my seedlings have been doing so well. I have transplanted many into 3 0r 4 inch pots. I also made some mistakes I've found. I put some of my pod seedlings into rectangular 10 cup peat pots. I put the long peat pods into the plastic trays. 5 across. Well now I see that many of them have a white moldy growth on outside of pots. I am sure I must have watered them too much as they are a mess. And they were doing so well!! I know I read somewhere about using peroxide solution but I need instructions. I have begun to take the seedlings out of those pots and put them in others but stopped because I wasn't sure what to do and I don't want to loose them.. If I knew how to attach pictures I would do so.

Thanks for any help for this beginner!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2014
6:32 PM

Post #9798701

I'm not sure that mold can be "cured": most people talk about prevention. On the other hand, if the mold is only on the pots, and not on the stems, you might be lucky.

I have heard many people say they use peroxide stronger than this, but I've stayed on the "weak" side because I only use it for soaking seeds, not fighting fungus or mold. This site suggests 0.2% for sick or fungusy plants. Since you'll be spraying sides of peat pots, maybe you can go much stronger.

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

I assume you are starting with normal 3% "drugstore" peroxide (not the 35% food grade stuff).

1 cup water + 1 tablespoon of 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
or
1 pint water + 2 tablespoons of 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
or
1 quart water + 1/4 cup of 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
or
1 gallon water + 1 cup of 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

gardennanna
Litchfield, IL

March 27, 2014
6:35 AM

Post #9798985

Thanks so much. So far the mold seems to be on the outside of pots. Can I spray the plants with this peroxide mixture as well?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2014
5:58 PM

Post #9799362

Stuff that dilute, sure. I've read many people talk about spraying seedlings with stronger peroxide, so this dilute stuff must be harmless.

I've only used it a few times and see no effect on plants. Pre-soaking seeds in a half-strength version does seem to make some old seeds sprout faster - I can't prove it but I do believe it.

Maybe a fan would keep the outsides of your peat pots a little drier and discourage the mold. Of course the pots and plants would dry out faster also.

I always use plastic pots or trays with cells since I tried a toilet-paper-roll collar around something and the cardboard became covered with white mold or fungus. Yuck!

gardennanna
Litchfield, IL

March 28, 2014
2:29 PM

Post #9799941

Yep that white mold or fungus is what I'm dealing with. Yucky for sure. My granddaughter and I peeled the little yucky pots off and repotted for hours today. I'll know better next year, I hope.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2014
6:55 PM

Post #9800087

I detest peat pots for just this reason. They are either too dry or mold.
Ironsides
Eastlake, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2014
4:16 PM

Post #9804352

I agree with Rick, I use only plastic trays and plastic inserts. When the plants need transplanting, I use a clean tray and new deeper insert, to allow the plant room to grow. I through out the inserts, but use trays over after sterilizing with bleach and warm water. Air circulation is very important. I use fans for air circulation and to toughen the plants.

"Stay Happy and Keep Gardening"
ncredbird
Greeneville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2014
4:23 PM

Post #9804359

DH is a big yogurt eater so I save all the empty individual yogurt cups and use them as pots. I just use a hot soldering iron to make a hole in the bottom for drainage. Depending on the size needed you can use dixie cups, empty medicine dispensing cups, and if someone is doing a food demo in your local Sam's or Costco just ask if you can have the empty plastic cups for seed starts. I use them all the time to set down cuttings and African Violet leaves. I haven't had good results with peat pots and the few that my mother gave me are headed for the trash can.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2014
6:22 PM

Post #9805105

After I posted this earlier , I read through this , Here's my 2 cents input .
Sometimes mold is not mold , it is the peat fiber trying to regenerate ,, (it could be argued moss is a mold ) however ,, presoaking and setting peat pots in a tray can sometimes help .
The half of the picture closest to you and what it is farther away and green ,, This happens a lot with moss and it will take a lot more light in humidity than most will have thought about (previously myself also ) ..
Well anyway the picture ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America