-
AuthorContent
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2014
3:40 AM

Post #9799546

I planted my pepper seeds about 4 weeks ago and my tomato seeds 2 weeks ago. The seeds germinated quickly, they look healthy. I have them under fluorescent lights (warm/cool combo) about 16 hours/day. They are still on their heat mat in a covered indoor greenhouse setup in my basement. The seedlings look great, but they have not developed a set of true leaves yet and I think that they should have by now. Suggestions? I was waiting until they developed their first set of leaves before I turned off the heat mat-maybe too warm? Too much light? I need advice-I don't remember having this happen before:(
Thanks!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2014
6:39 AM

Post #9800318

They should of grown true leaves about a week after germination. Are they getting leggy? How far away is the light, How warm is the heat mat. MY guess is not enough light.
art33
Florissant, MO

March 29, 2014
10:12 AM

Post #9800485

Hi DM,

The heat mat should only be used to help the seeds germinate and the cover is just used to keep that heat in. To prevent possible root rot, leggy growth, damp-off and other fungus issues, the heat mat and plastic cover should be removed at the first sign of germination. At this stage, your seedlings need cool ambient temperatures (60 to 65 deg F is probably ideal), good air circulation, and (as doug has suggested) lots of light.

Hope this helps,

Art
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 29, 2014
10:21 AM

Post #9800496

Thanks Art! That's my project for the day:)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America