Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Has anyone planted Drift roses in partail shade?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2014
9:38 AM

Post #9799770

Hi Everyone!
I have an apricot Drift rose and a red Drift rose, they are planted in a location where they receive about 5 hours of sun everyday and they have done really well. I like them so much that I thinking of getting a few more verities.
I'm wondering if Drift roses could be planted in an area that receives less than 5 hours of full sun a day? I have some partial shady spots that only receive about 2-3 hours of full sun each day. That may not be enough for them to produce flowers, Anyone have any experiences with this?
Thanks
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 31, 2014
8:33 AM

Post #9801866

Sorry no one got back to you, I have not heard of Drift Roses so I'm going on the thought you mean just plain old Rose bushes / shrubs or climbing Roses.
These all require the same care and treatment apart from pruning which for each type there is a slight difference in that, but as for light, soil conditions, watering, feeding etc, there is no difference at all.

Where your Drift Roses are concerned, It would be a disadvantage to offer less sun as you have obviously got the position right where they are, so I would be advising you stick with that amount of sunshine.

Roses do need good light and plenty hours of sunlight to help with the formation of Buds and then flowers, the sunlight ripens the woody stems and without that you are opening the door for diseases to take hold, weak plants get harmed / suffer more IF they are weakened by poor growing conditions.

Roses like a good rich soil with plenty of added humus to help air, moisture retention, food and lots of nice loose soil at the roots, .
I do hope I'm giving you the right advise as for Roses we all grow in our borders or pergola's, IF not that type of rose, then let's hope someone else comes in to help you out.
Good luck and best Regards.
WeeNel.
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2014
9:24 AM

Post #9805463

Thanks WeeNel, I appreciate your reply and your help. I'm thinking it wont be a good idea to put them in partial shade, sigh.. I'll have to think of some other type of low growing shrub that will do better for those spots I guess.

Drift roses are a type of ground cover rose.
Here's a link if it will work.
http://www.starrosesandplants.com/drift-roses

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America