Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Yellow Texas wildflowers

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 14, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2014
11:21 AM

Post #9799834

I posted this over in the Texas gardening forum and was hoping someone here could help me to ID these. I assume they are natives as they were found in the wild, but that may be a bit presumptuous since I don't know what they are?! Thanks in advance!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1354625/

This message was edited Mar 28, 2014 12:22 PM

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt
Click the image for an enlarged view.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2014
8:25 PM

Post #9803093

I've been unable to ID this yellow flowering weed/wildflower, well it's finally blooming so I snapped some better pics. Thanks in advance for any information, seeing this every day and not knowing what it is has really been driving me crazy!

First 3 photos are of the flower. Pic 4 is a close up of the base of the plant. It's leaves and stem are covered in a thick weblike pubescence. Last pic is of the entire plant with a plastic milk cap for scale.

This plant grows wild in poor, dry soil in Palo Pinto/Erath county, north central Texas.

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt
Click an image for an enlarged view.

JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

April 4, 2014
7:56 PM

Post #9805154

I tried my level best and I am trying. They look like a kind of Groundsels in TX.
I have a book for the ID of wild flowers of N.America.It is difficult to try with internet.

Hand Book Details:-

National Wildlife Federation

Field Guide to
WILDFLOWERS
of North America

By

David M. Brandenburg

$9/- (672 Pages)
If you order it today Amazon.com will deliver it on Monday. Very useful for wild plants ID
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2014
9:05 PM

Post #9805174

I know it as cowpen daisy. all over east tx, as well

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=cowpen+daisy&Search=Search+PlantFiles

This message was edited Apr 4, 2014 10:11 PM
JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

April 5, 2014
8:58 AM

Post #9805455

Senecio ampullaceus, one of the Groundsels in TX

I am not sure of the ID, Please check up

The leaves with broadly winged leaf stalks, grow from single stems; the nodes between leaves getting shorter and shorter higher on the stem. Ovate leaves with pointed tips 3 centimeters (1.2 in) to 10 centimeters (3.9 in) long by 1.5 centimeters (0.59 in) to 4 centimeters (1.6 in) wide with tapered bases. Leaves at the lower portion of the plant have more teeth on their edges than the leaves at the upper portion of the mature plant.

Stems and leaves are covered loosely and unevenly with a mat of fine hairs, occasionally having no hairs.

Flowering stalks have 10 to 30 flower heads which as a group make a flat top to the whole plant. Each flower head is surrounded by 2 to 8 bracteoles or mini-leaves, each 1 millimeter (0.039 in) to more than 2 millimeters (0.079 in). Approximately 13 green to grayish bracts, 7 millimeters (0.28 in) to 10 millimeters (0.39 in) long surrounding 8 ray florets and an 8 millimeters (0.31 in) to 10 millimeters (0.39 in) corolla

Jj

Thumbnail by JohnJebaraj

JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

April 6, 2014
7:24 AM

Post #9806024

The First Plant Species may be

Erigeron bloomeri Scabland fleabane or Bloomer's fleabane

I am not sure of the ID, Please check up

It has mostly basal leaves several centimeters long which may be densely hairy to nearly hairless

Head with no ray florets

Jj

Thumbnail by JohnJebaraj

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 6, 2014
9:01 AM

Post #9806116

Erigeron bloomeri doesn't occur in Texas; it's native to the Pacific northwest.

Edit: Is Plant #1 really rayless (i.e. without petals) or was it not yet in full bloom? Tetraneuris spp.?

This message was edited Apr 6, 2014 9:49 AM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2014
3:35 PM

Post #9806365

Plays with dirt? more pix of plant 1?

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2014
7:22 PM

Post #9806511

John Jebaraj, you are right! Plant #2 is Senecio ampullaceus or 'Texas groundsel':

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/98867/

Also, thanks for the recommendation on the book, I made a note of that one. Although I have to admit, I do like to come here to the plant ID forum since y'all haven't let me down yet!! I am so glad this one is solved, it was driving me nuts.

Altagardener, plant #1 wasn't in full bloom yet when I took the pics. Been a little sidetracked the past few days but I'll get back out there tomorrow and get some different shots.
JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

April 6, 2014
8:06 PM

Post #9806550

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX

You made me to think and you have given me wonderful Taxonomic exercise. Usually Taxonomists avoid YELLOW Asters and Cassias. They are real headaches for a Plant Systematist. Looking at PLANTS in their Natural Home and through displays are not always acceptable. Anyway I am happy and very glad with your comments.If you buy the Field Guide to WILDFLOWERS of North America, You would get a BOOST in 'ID'ing your own PLANTS. I saw the book in the Redmond public library in Seattle. This may be available in your local county library.

Thank you

Jj

If
Erigeron bloomeri doesn't fit, let me try again

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2014
10:34 AM

Post #9807770

Ok I got a few more pics of the first one, the one that is rayless in the first pic. One of the mature bloom, another of the base of the plant. It is just a tuft of grasslike leaves, the long bare stems rising from it. Seems to grow on gravelly slopes around here where water is sparse and summer heat is brutal.

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2014
6:24 PM

Post #9808060

Perhaps Tetraneuris acaulis for plant #1?

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2014
12:39 AM

Post #9811990

Tetraneuris seems to be it. This one turns out to be tetraneuris scaposa. A plant I've almost purchased from the nursery a few times, and now I find out there are hundreds right outside my back gate! LOL

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53549/#b

Thanks Alta :)
JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

April 14, 2014
4:10 PM

Post #9812708

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX

It is nice and I have added Tetraneuris scaposa in my Yellow Asters List of plants.

Jj

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2014
7:03 PM

Post #9812889

Yes very pretty indeed. And a tough as nails native also, what's not to love :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America