Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Gazanias and Primulas

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

March 30, 2014
6:21 AM

Post #9800995

Hi, I've just purchased a couple of gazania and primula plants for the first time. I'll be keeping them in containers in my sumnmy SE facing balcony. I've been googling on how to care for them, but just wanted to double check. Primulas only need a weak dose of fertilizer once a month (I use All Purpose Miracle Gro). Gazanias do not seem to require any fertilizer at all - is this correct? Or would it be ok to fertilize them weakly per month like the primulas?

Thanks.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2014
10:43 PM

Post #9801621

Most primroses are going to prefer mild fertilizer, some shade and a reasonable amount of water. While some are from sunny fields, there are many that are from the edges of forests and similar locations. Morning sun is great, or filtered shade all day.

Gazanias are from harsher conditions. Drier, warmer, and full sun. They have been bred for fancy flower colors, and today's varieties are still tough plants, but to perform their best I would give them a small amount of fertilizer now and then. Allow them to get drier between watering. They would be the one to place toward the sunnier end of the area.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

March 31, 2014
11:20 AM

Post #9802015

I have sun in my balcony up to about 2pm, due to neighbouring buildings, it's all shade after that, so hopefully both flowers will be ok. Thanks so much for your help.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

April 6, 2014
7:13 AM

Post #9806015

After repotting my "gazanias" I noticed that the actual pot was labelled "Dimorphoteca". In the nursery, they were under a sign saying "gazania". I've google-imaged both flowers and they seem identical. Are they actually the same flower? I like to know exactly what I've bought so I can research the care accordingly. Thanks!!!
dannyboy91
North Brunswick Town, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2014
8:05 AM

Post #9806051

Hi MonkeyFlower,
They are not the exact same flower, but are very close relatives, so it's easy to see the strong resemblance. They both are commonly known as African Daisies, both members of the Asteraceae Family.
I hope this helps. Best of luck, and happy growing!
Danny

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America