Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Stromanthe sanguinea 'Tricolor'

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Stromanthe triostar Also called Stromanthe sanguinea"Triostar"

(whoops, Tom beat me by 2 minutes)

This message was edited Apr 3, 2014 1:53 PM

San Francisco, CA

I agree (mostly), and it is very good to see this cultivar flowering - were you able to get some close-ups of the flowers?
I'm curious about the distinction between Ctenanthe and Stromanthe and flower pictures for each are hard to come by.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Sorry, that's the best shot i got.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

no wonder you didn't recognize it, that thing is Gi Nor mous. They were all around in Costa Rica hotel landscaping but just 18 + inches tall.

Keaau, HI

Ctenanthe oppenheimiana 'Tricolor' and Stromanthe sanguinea 'Tricolor' look very similar.

Ctenanthe oppenheimiana 'Tricolor' grows 2.5 to 4.75 ft. tall, with 3 to 6 leaves that are basal. The inflorescence has bracts that are pale green with purple margins, and white flowers.

Stromanthe sanguinea 'Tricolor' grows from 3 to 6 ft. tall, with 3 to 10 leaves on a cane-like stem. The inflorescence is terminal and bright red.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

excellent

San Francisco, CA

Thanks for that clarification Metrosideros

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

the one I have is small, about 4 years old, it was tagged Stromanthe Tricolor.. would it grow big if I put it in a bigger pot? I think I need to look at it a little closer. It could be a Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tagged wrongly to be sold fast. :P~

Keaau, HI

The two species are commonly mixed up at nurseries.

If the plant is not flowering they can be separated by their leaf arrangement.

Ctenanthe oppenheimiana leaves are all close to the ground.

Stromanthe sanguinea leaves are at least 2 ft. up on a stem.

If you send a photo it would be easy to tell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.