Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Needs a name

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lalea878
Mobile, AL

April 6, 2014
5:58 AM

Post #9805952

I have several of these and not sure what these trees/shrubs are. It has lots of stems that grow from a large single base like bridal wreath does. The wood/bark stems are very pretty and is a reddish tone. Small light green leaves/no blooms at least not yet
thx

Thumbnail by lalea878   Thumbnail by lalea878   Thumbnail by lalea878
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2014
8:02 AM

Post #9806048

Snip one of those stems off at the base, and take it in to get some clear closeups of the stems, leaves, buds, etc.

Also: take a picture of the whole plant and context.
lalea878
Mobile, AL

April 7, 2014
7:26 PM

Post #9807395

will do tomorrow..thx
lalea878
Mobile, AL

April 8, 2014
6:17 AM

Post #9807601

I noticed there are now white clusters on the tree/shrub..the trunks/stems are still a deep reddish hue...seem to do better away from afternoon sun as I have a few in partial shade and a few in full sun. The trees in full sun are smaller and they started out the same height. I took a stem and took it inside for a couple of pics. thx/laura

Thumbnail by lalea878   Thumbnail by lalea878   Thumbnail by lalea878      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lalea878
Mobile, AL

April 8, 2014
6:25 AM

Post #9807609

another close up/leaves are serrated, not shiny or waxy in appearance

Thumbnail by lalea878
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2014
10:58 AM

Post #9807782

Your plant(s) look a lot like Itea virginica - Virginia Sweetspire.

It is a shrub that is quite happy in shade, but can tolerate full sun. It really likes moisture. I have mine situated by a downspout. It will put up more stems and create a colony if it is happy in its position in the landscape.
lalea878
Mobile, AL

April 9, 2014
7:27 AM

Post #9808381

It does look like virginia sweetspire..I googled a picture of it and saw the red stems like mine. The white clusters as well. For some reason mine is growing straight up like a tree...do i need to trim it down to make it bushy? Mine looks like a small tree right now..lol The plants are young though. My dad had a surplus at the church he was managing landscaping for but has no idea what they are. He gave me 5 or 6 of them. Thx

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2014
7:44 PM

Post #9808844

You are welcome. You should have white spikey flowers at the tips of all those stems, and some really nice and colorful fall foliage.

Have either your dad (or you) take a picture of the ones at the church landscaping - and post here. That would give some great information on potential landscape management practices to others.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America