Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: What bird do you think this is?

Fukuoka, Japan

This photo taken in Fukuoka, Japan, April 6. Mikasa River reedbed. Sorry, no other photos. Thank you, Kawasemi

Thumbnail by kawasemi Thumbnail by kawasemi Thumbnail by kawasemi
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Stejneger's Stonechat Saxicola stejnegeri (a recent species split, formerly listed as either Saxicola torquatus stejnegeri or Saxicola maurus stejnegeri), male. Japanese name: ノビタキ. They are summer visitors in Japan, presumably newly arrived.

Resin

Fukuoka, Japan

Hi Resin, As always, your confirmation and information is greatly appreciated. My field guide did not have the Stejneger's part of the name. Only stonechat (no-bitaki). I had gone to the nearby river to check out the mute swan nest, so the stonechat was an added plus and a new bird for me! Good birding to you this spring. Kawasemi

Thumbnail by kawasemi
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Nice! ;-)

The splitting of Stejneger's Stonechat is recent (so most field guides don't separate it yet), you can read about it here:
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/26236014_Taxonomic_status_and_evolutionary_history_of_the_Saxicola_torquata_complex

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.