Been given 4 seed potatoes. Got tubs ready.

Manchester, United Kingdom

Never done spuds before! . 4 inches & lightly cover in soil. Shoots & recover & so on?
1 or 2 to a big tub?
Any advice welcome! Cheers

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You should cut them into smaller pieces, with at least one "eye" per piece. Allow them to sit overnight and then plant them. If you've got some wood ashes from a fireplace or fire pit, rub the cut edges in the ashes after you cut them. I know you're not in the US, but there's a growing guide on this potato seller site: http://www.potatogarden.com/

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Potatoes are heavy feeders so scratch in a handful of granular fertilizer under each hill and then side dress them in three weeks.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2014 9:53 PM

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Last year I tried potato in a container and I get three nice potatoes , so I did 2 container this week . Hope I have better results this year and I am using a mixture of homemade compost and potting mix.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

I did bags that I purchased from Gardener's Supply (gardeners.com). There is a video on their website as well as printed instructions on how to do them in the bags. You could use that as a starting point. I plant 4 per their regular size bag and 8 in the jumbo. Do every year. Always have a good harvest, delicious, and no diseases or bugs. So easy. Enjoy!

Manchester, United Kingdom

shootin up !!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

There's no need to cut up the potatoes to individual pieces with one eye each... unless you're trying to stretch what you have to the maximum number of plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.