Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: What's wrong with my Roses?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 8, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2014
6:30 AM

Post #9808348

I am ready to throw away these 2 roses. This will be my 3rd year having them. First year, they got black spot. 2nd year, they got spider mites galore. And now this year, they starting filling out nicely but the stems with buds look very odd...tall and skinny with thin leaves. I looked up the Rose Rosette Disease and the canes are not red...only new growth is red, but later turns green like normal. Any suggestions or ideas of what I can do or what the problem might be? Should I cut my losses and toss them in the trash and replace them with something else other than roses? Or do they look ok?

They are Apricot Princess Roses.

The 1st 2 pictures are Rose Bush #1 and the last 3 pictures are Rose Bush #2.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze
Click an image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2014
7:29 AM

Post #9808382

OK, I should start by saying I'm not one to jump very quickly and suggest RRD.

If this were my rose I would wait and see what the rosebuds develop into. This really does look like new spring growth to me. If the blooms look like they should once they bloom then I would say that this rose is just starting to take off. For the first year a rose really just wants to settle its roots in. The second year it wants to establish new canes and branches. The third year is the one we all wait for when the rose really starts to work on bloom production for real. So I would give it some mild fertilizer once a month, clean up around the base of the rose and look into some systemic disease prevention products (you do not say it you want to do organic only or what). Do you have a co-operative extension agent in your county? If so you could call or stop by the office. They should have some good information online or in flyers and may even have someone to analyze your concerns with this rose. I should mention that if some of the growth bothers you in some way then cut that growth out. I can't tell from the photos, but I would get some systemic prevention going as soon as possible. If this rose had problems with white fly (did you say) last year then they will be back this year if they are not already there in larvae or egg form. We want to eliminate that.

I'm not familiar with this particular rose variety. I looked up Apricot Princess on Help Me Find and this was the result I got: http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.45764&tab=1

If this linked rose is your rose, then multiple clusters or cascading blooms is what your rose is bred to do. And it is not going to get to be a huge rose. So, if it were my rose, I would sit back and see what it does. I'm not into mini-floras, so I could be way off, but that looks like normal spring growth to me. Not all rampant growth is RRD and many roses demonstrate red or rosy color in their new growth. Especially in spring. So no need to panic yet IMHO. ☺ If it does turn out to be RRD then spade prune it and burn it. Do not plant another rose in or near the vacant hole. But, again, I don't think so...

Hope someone else chimes in who is more familiar with this variety, but most importantly I hope this rose starts to bloom and bloom for you.

This is my Red Cascade in the summer. This rose looks exactly like yours right now but the new growth is even redder and it is a bit of a climber so it is way bigger.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2014 8:34 AM

Thumbnail by terri_emory
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 10, 2014
12:48 PM

Post #9809269

I agree with terry, this rose is displaying NEW tender growth, it will turn a different shade of green and much firmer to touch leaves as they harden off (AGE) and mature,
Your Rose as terry has stated, is still very much immature, it's been working hard to try make new roots, try to adapt to it's new environment in your yard along with nature telling it, it needs to put out some flowers.
All Plants, but especially things like roses / flowering shrubs use a HUGE amount of energy to do all those things mentioned so again, as Terry has said, give it a special ROSE feed, there are several feeds on the market especially formulated for Roses, If you don't want that, use a general multi purpose feed and fork it into the soil around the root area, I use a hand fork for this as I don't want to damage the roots as I fork it into the top soil. Make sure you give the roses a good water now the growing season has kicked of, make sure you check every day for the dreaded bugs that attack the roses either by sucking the sap or chewing the leaves, act soon as you see it, IF you get these problems dealt with as soon as you know they are there, you can treat the problem with dish washing soap mixed with water and this solution is sprayed on the leaves and flowers where the culprits are, make sure you treat the underside of the leave also as this is a great hiding place for all manor of bugs, they use these covers to hide from predators. Also dead head all the flowers as they fade, flowers left to make seeds weaken the plant and making seeds use up energy wasted on that instead of making abundance of flowers, as you snip off the dead flowers, take the flower-head down to a new bud, within a few weeks that bud will have turned into new shoot or new buds.

At end of the growing season, when most people do a tidy up and a LIGHT pruning of their Roses, give a top dressing of good quality Humus around the roots (NOT against the stems as this can cause rot) but a few inches from the stems will be fine.
My favourite form of humus is horse manure WELL ROTTED, so no smell, it's been left to rot down for quite a while until it feels like a good dark compost smell free to dig into the soil around your plants or when making a new bed. The Humus allows air into the soil, it adds texture, loosens up a compacked or CLAY SOIL, it adds feed and helps the soil hold onto moisture without it causing flooding when watered. These are all the things Roses need for a long healthy blooming life and with a little help from us gardeners, I think we do a pretty good job most of the time.
Stick with your Roses, your going to either kill them with kindness or be toooooo impatient and think a Rose bush can just turn on the charm over night, Gardening and plants don't work that way believe me the world would be covered in flowers and plants if it was an instant process but, it aint like that in real life

Hope all this helps you understand what a rose plant can and will do given time.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.

SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2014
4:10 AM

Post #9829374

Thanks for the information! It has been just about a month since I first posed my question and posted the above pictures.

Here is one of the rose bushes today :) The other one was doing as good, but the wind and rain we had recently flattened it :(

Thumbnail by SavvyDaze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 5, 2014
9:19 AM

Post #9830454

Your doing well, gaining knowledge as you go and being vigilant is as good a treatment as any till you know or find a problem should they occur.

If I had Roses growing the way your are, I'd be delighted believe me.

Do you know the type or name of the Roses your growing or have you bought A few Rose bushes without labels ?????. I always try to get the type of Rose and the Name like (April shower's or lady what's her name ) then you can look up the Rose growers or directory for the named type you have and then it gives all the info you need.
The reason I'm saying this is because there are as many different types / shapes, sizes, colours and many different care instructions depending on what type you have.
These days their are Rose breeders who have developed plants for drier conditions, ones that are practically disease resistant against say, Black spot, or Moulds, some stand up more to windy conditions and some are grown for perfume, double flowers, small clustered flowering bunches, to mention a few.

I don't grow a lot of Roses these days BUT have in the past, here where I live the Roses are fodder for the deer, they get to the plants just as the tender new succulent growth arrives and the buds seem like a desert after the main course.
I still grow climbing Roses and have a few Standards but these are caged off so the deer try but fail to get to them, NOT always but deer are silly animals or tooooo cleaver, if they have to over work for food, they just move on.

With regards to the wind and Rain, the wind rock does loosen the root area of young Roses BUT next time as you dig the new planting hole should you want to plant more Roses, make the hole 2 times deeper than you need, and 2 times wider.
Next add as much humus / manure / compost, whatever you can get ( I give my right arm for well rotted horse manure, no smell just nice dark looking composted horse poooooo,) mix this in a couple of spadefulls into the bottom of hole, lay the rest on the pile of soil you dug from the hole, place the rose bush into the hole and adjust the depth as you need to plant the bush to the same depth is was either in the pot or if bare rooted, look for the mark at the base where it shows the line that it was planted before, add some more soil under the bush if need bee or remove some, depending on your plant.
Next add some soil mixture back into the new planting hole after having spread out the roots to help the bush take a good firm grip at the roots (it will be in the soil many years remember)
as you add the soil back use your fists to press the soil down as you fill the hole and as you reach the top of hole, use your toes lightly to press out any air pockets left in the soil. I like a little dip around the root area as this allows water to fill the dip and helps get water trickle down to the roots rather than running off the hard packed top soil that a crust formed on the area around the hole is inevitable when the weather warms up.
Don't feed the plants IF manure was used, this is rich in Nutrients, but after the season ends, give a handful Rose fertiliser or wait till spring and do that as you prune and tidy up the area. Remember any diseased and any fallen leaves need to be gathered and burned because a lot of the Rose diseases can be over wintered in the soil or on the fallen leaves, In autumn I like to do a light prune to reduce the wind rock harming and loosening the roots, then early spring I di a feed and prune at that time as the plant is awakening from winter sleep.

Hope this helps you out, I know it looks a lot of Info BUT, better being forewarned and do the care plan right than be disappointed and waste money on Shrubs that you watch die on you.

Next time you plant any Roses or other type of plants, try keep a little diary re the care, date, colour, height and flowering time, then IF you get a plant cheep and has no label, you can refer back to your diary.

Good luck, stop worrying so much and try relax and enjoy these lovely plants you have managed to nurture through the winter.
Best Regards. WeeNel.

SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2014
6:18 PM

Post #9830888

Thanks,WeeNel. The roses in the photo is called 'Apricot Princess.'

Carolinaflower8

Carolinaflower8
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2014
6:23 AM

Post #9832969

Very pretty! I have used RoseTone (from Lowes or Home Depot), and my mom's roses love it. It is a slow-release fertilizer, but has great results. Reading this thread was a good reminder since she has a new one that I am concerned about.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

May 10, 2014
7:22 AM

Post #9834919

Hi SavvyDaze, I have been growing Roses for a while and have been doing lots of research and I learned that planting Allium and Marigolds help to warn of bugs form them. this is the first year after I prune my RosesI dug about 4 holes about 6 inches around the rose bushes ,added a teaspoon of Bonemeal and covered them up and gave the bushes a good watering . A good advice is do not water the leaves of the plant sometimes that causes black spots .Last year I invested in a Watering Wand so you can got right to the base of the plant and I found that my roses did well.I know from my experience you have to do a lot of Research to grow beautiful Roses. Hope I am of some help to you.m
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2014
12:31 PM

Post #9853656

I'm glad you held off on the shovel-pruning! That has turned out to be a very nice rose indeed. Hope you have a great summer with them. And remember, if you need help picking you more roses we are always here to help enable a new/potential rose addict!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America