Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Zinnia blooms per seed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shalom777
Sylva, NC

April 10, 2014
2:09 PM

Post #9809321

I have an area of roughly 125 sq. inches that I'm planting dwarf zinnia in. Will I get only one flower stem per seed?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 11, 2014
6:45 AM

Post #9809761

At my last discussion of these plants, there was more than 20 species of these plants and that was a good few years ago, I know there are many more than that now available all in different colours, flower type and sizes,
To answer your question, there are some Annuals that have multi flowers to the stem BUT the flowers are very small also and you might be thinking large blousy type flowers, when I say Blousy I mean bright / bold and fluffy flowers. this type obviously is very Prone to weather conditions in as much as wet or damp climates render these a disaster unless they are indoor or under shelter.

I would be inclined to do a search on Dave's other forums like plant I D, and there you might see the exact type of Zinnia's you need to suit your planting area.

By the way, having the name of the seed ie : Zinnia ?????? you intend to plant would go a long way to ID IF that type is multi flowering,

Give the I D search a go as I'm sure that is a good starter place. Sorry I'm not any good for your question but we don't grow those here in Scotland at least most don't because the weather batters the softer tender stems and the flowers become waterlogged.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.
Best Regards. WeeNel.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2014
7:28 AM

Post #9809791

No...you will get many...at first you may only get one...unless you begin pinching out the center stem when they begin to grow. If starting from seed in the garden..give them time to sprout and grow a bit . In a few weeks you can begin to give them a pinch (pinch or cut out the main stem down to a good set of leaves, just above a node where the leaves appear). This will send a message to the plant to put out new growth...making two stems... You ncan continue to pinch a few more times or let them flower and deadhead the flowers once they begin to show that they are done... Think of it as evertime you cut a stem above a node it will make the plant sprout 2 new stems... by the end of the season you will have a nice bushy blooming Zinnia.. Some of the dwarfs tend to branch... You'll just have to see... Kathy

pix is of one of the taller varieties which I grow, the shorter ones can be much more prolithic with blooms. I've seen some that are totally smothered when in bloom...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America