Post #9812743

Have anyone have luck planting fressia in zone 6 b
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 18, 2014
8:17 AM

Post #9815635

None what-so-even here in my part of Scotland although, friends keep telling me how easy they are to grow.
I would start with the little bulbs rather than seeds IF I were you and maybe begin them off in-doors in a bright area but NOT direct sun on them.

There are various types of these plants, some smell beautiful (mostly for indoor plants) others no smell at all, some are large flowering. others quite small, and remember all the flowers on a stem don't break into flower all at once, they normally open at the bottom and keep flowering till all the flowers have opened up to the tip of the stem.

After flower is over, remove the flower stem BUT leave the foliage to die down and remove once it has turned yellow or can be tugged away by a very gentle pull.

To my knowledge, the soil they like is rich with sand or grit added for drainage as they wont like there roots to sit in wet soil for long periods after watering. IF you plant bulbs, instead of seeds, April is the time to do it INDOORS or in a very sheltered area with some sun but NOT baking them in long spells all day.
For outdoor planting of the outdoor bulbs, I think I would plant the outdoor bulbs around end of summer say September and they would be ready to flower in April-may time. treat outdoor as for the indoor types and offer a feed after flowering while the foliage is dying down as this will help give the plants energy for next years flowering.

Hope this has helped you understand the different types and you have great success, I'll be green with envy if you have a wonderful show LOL, no I wont I will be sending you a medal ha, Ha, ha,.
Best regards. WeeNel.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

April 18, 2014
12:57 PM

Post #9815779

Thank you very much for your advice. I planted the bulbs ,they grew lovely green blades but did not flower. I brought them indoors in fall and kept them in the basement ,and will be taking them out when the weather warms up. Hope they flowers this summer and I will take pictures so I can share them with you.
dannyboy91
North Brunswick Town, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2014
8:50 AM

Post #9817087

CYTF - I have to ask, are you sure you are in zone 6a? I only ask because we are pretty much in the same zone, and I am firmly on the line of 7a / 7b, mostly closer to 7b. I have my entire extendedfamily on SI, and its only a half hour drive. This winter was rough, but not normal for us usually. I suppose it doesn't matter really for this case, I was just curious as to how you arrived at this zone. We have considered my grandmothers house on SI to be 7a /b, idk exactly where you are but she is in west Brighton.
Well I can't add any more than WeeNel already has, but best of luck this season. I hope you get some great flowers to share :-)
Danny
cytf
Staten Island, NY

April 21, 2014
6:34 AM

Post #9817703

Hi Dannyboy91, I just check on the USDA Hardiness zone guide and I put in my zip code and it states i am in zone 6B. I live in Castleton Corners.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America