Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Does anybody know what these flowers are?

Hershey, PA

All three were taken in central Pennsylvania in the month of june. The red and the yellow flowers are garden flowers. The white and yellow flowers, well, I just don't remember whether I took the picture in somebody's garden or whether I took it in the woods, making it a wildflower. In the computer I seen some flowers very similar to the red cluster flowers, but none of them had that very unusual shape of the split petals. Anybody know?

Thumbnail by rishayan Thumbnail by rishayan Thumbnail by rishayan
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Lychnis chalcedonica (Maltese Cross)
Canna lily
Solanum (nightshade plant of some sort)

North Brunswick Town, NJ(Zone 7a)

They're beautiful. I'm going. To look around some nurseries for the Maltese Cross. Wonderful colors and shapes. I'm in nj so if they grow in pa I'm sure they will grow here. Glad you posted them!
Will you have them again this year?

Not sure you would want the last plant - look at those thorns and it has deep roots - hard to get rid of. There are prettier (and thornless) Solanum plants.

Sintaluta, Canada

maltese cross does not have thorns or deep tap roots but do go to seed reliably. there are different type but only in height. mine grow from 2 to 3 feet tall and have been growing on east side of my grandmothers house for 30 plus years.

schmeeges,

Not sure how you are seeing the pictures but the last photo does have thorns and is a Solanum, not Maltese Cross. The first photo is Maltese Cross.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Danny, I got my Maltese Cross from Bluestone Perennials for planting this season. I hope it does well because it is really pretty!

I am putting it on my list now Sequoia! ;-)

You can grow a bunch from a pack of seeds cheaper than one plant... Just saying

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

HCM: you're right! However, I don't have the patience or means to grow a bunch of things from seed and I'd prefer to pay more for a plant someone else already started :)

Good to know though :-)

SEQ: Yes, more ways than one to skin a cat...

Hershey, PA

Thanks hcmcdole, I love you, you're great...and now I have these flowers placed in their proper folders....I don't think I ever would have identified that Maltese Cross..I looked for hours in the computer and just could not find an image of that split petal..until you told me!!....Thanks....The lily I sort of suspected that it might be, but just wasn't sure...and the nightshade...well, I was able to identify that one myself after I posted the picture....I'm an amateur photographer and I go all over North America taking pictures of the beauty of our natural world. I have a few more "unidentified" images , including some tree flowers that I took in southern Mexico that I just can't find an online guide to correctly identify them. When I get a chance, I will post them. Thanks again!

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Started my Maltese Cross from seed pretty easily. They are a great early (June) hummingbird magnet. My first ever hummingbird visitor found its way to my very small city garden for these brilliant red blooms Heard it buzz by me as I weeded nearby. A special moment!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

It's so cool when a hummer comes to the garden while you're in it. Very nice!

Brimfield, MA

those look pretty good!

Thumbnail by mogu
Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

The last one is what we call white careless weed. If you get a thorn in your foot from it it will take a long time to get well. Good luck with it. luciee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.