Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brownco99921
Craig, AK

April 16, 2014
9:26 AM

Post #9814161

Every year it seems I struggle with germinating my sugar snap peas? I always try and germinate my plants inside because it's still pretty chilly up here in Alaska. I've never really seen anything about anyone else having problems with these. All the gerrminating sights say just throw them in the ground and watch them go, any advice would be great
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2014
9:48 AM

Post #9814174

Brown, I always soak mine overnight and direct sow the next day. I don't see any problems with sticking the seeds in potting soil 1/4" deep after a soak, except they don't like to be transplanted. If the transplant is done carefully, you can minimize the shock.

What are the struggles you're experiencing?
brownco99921
Craig, AK

April 18, 2014
1:57 PM

Post #9815800

Thks for the soaking advice. I tryed that with my morning glorys I was having problems germinating and it work great. Keeping fingers crossed that it works for me, cause I set up a nice trellis spot off my back pourch just for theses sugar snap peas
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2014
3:05 PM

Post #9815849

Sounds good, good luck...I bet they'll do great and look real nice on that trellis!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2014
11:18 AM

Post #9820477

I have heavy, wet clay soil and long, variable spring temperatures with frequent light rain. Trying to start peas in early spring never works very well for me. I think they all rot underground.

One year I covered a raised bed with a tarp to keep rain off and got some to emerge. I have better direct sowing peas in mid-spring, because my summers are so mild the peas seem not to mind the warmth. Nights stay cool all summer.

I do believe that pre-soaking or even pre-germinating is a good plan for starting peas earlier in cold or wet soil. Just plant them as soon as any root emerges.

Or start them in guttering, in drier warmer soil, then push the pea seedlings and rootballs into a trench after the outdoor soil warms up and dries out.

Google "You-Tube pea guttering"

weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2014
6:33 PM

Post #9831784

Thanks for that idea Rick. That is a great idea and now I want to try it! I still have some beans...
Just need to find something tubular that I could cut in half.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America