Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Anxious... are they dead?? or just not there yet?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 7, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2014
3:37 PM

Post #9815088

All,

I'm a first timer at this. I did some sowing in Jan, Feb, and March, and I have a few new jugs to plant in right now. It has been REALLY cold in MN this year.. with lots of negative stretches in Feb. Right now I have a few sprouts.. but only in 6 of my 60 jugs.. ALL the sprouting ones are ones were planted on 3/18. and they are some Alyssum Gold Dust, Achillea Millefolium, Lupine and Aubrieta.

The ones I'm waiting on are Coreopsis, shasta daisy, veronica, Echinacea, Huechera, monarda, Asclepias (milkweed) . I know it has been cold here... but I was thinking more should have sprouted by now?? Otherwise I fear with the super cold they may have got killed off?

Advice? How long should I wait. It IS still early for here... not much sprouting up besides some iris here.. not even tulips unless they are southern exposure. AND we just had more snow last night.. but it melted off already. I have high hopes as it is forecast for 70 this Saturday. (fingers crossed).
Thanks in advance.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 18, 2014
2:58 AM

Post #9815409

Just be patient----those seeds know when to sprout!
Caroline
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2014
8:36 AM

Post #9815648

I'm gonna take Caroline's advice because mine haven't sprouted yet either...still waiting for my summer Chinook.
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2014
1:58 PM

Post #9828104

I had trouble with my few jugs drying out. I have watered them, but they dry out. It's been so windy. I decided to let them go, and will water them when they get dry. Who knows what will happen when this year.

P.S. Just realized hadn't checked them in a day or 2 and should probably move them out from under eaves. I have 2 sprouts! So yes just keep watching them. Don't know if I will get any more, but can't get that cold time back now . LOL
hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 10, 2014
8:55 AM

Post #9834965

when should you start opening up the jugs? I finally have some sprouts in mine.. and we've had a few 60 degree days.. just not sure when I should start opening them.. and closing them.

Thanks!
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2014
3:28 PM

Post #9835223

I don't close the tops - you want the snow and rain to get in. So yes, I'd say open the tops. In terms of cracking the hinged part of plastic jugs I do that when I have big seedlings just before I transplant them. Last year some of them had to wait a long while before I could get them in the ground so I watered them and actually put a large rock in the top part to keep it hinged open, LOL.
hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2014
5:28 AM

Post #9835580

Thanks martyR. Yes I meant the hinged tops. I have had the caps off all along. Well I untaped most of them yesterday.. I guess I'll have to get the Duct tape back out :-)

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2014
8:33 AM

Post #9835757

I'd say as long as your night temps are above freezing, to open the lids on the ones that have sprouted. The unsprouted containers will wake up, and when they have true leaves, I'd open them too. For now it's probably best to leave the unsprouted ones closed, to retain moisture and help along the germination process.

Many of mine didn't sprout until we were well into day temps of 70s and nights in the 50s.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America