I'm a first timer at this. I did some sowing in Jan, Feb, and March, and I have a few new jugs to plant in right now. It has been REALLY cold in MN this year.. with lots of negative stretches in Feb. Right now I have a few sprouts.. but only in 6 of my 60 jugs.. ALL the sprouting ones are ones were planted on 3/18. and they are some Alyssum Gold Dust, Achillea Millefolium, Lupine and Aubrieta.
The ones I'm waiting on are Coreopsis, shasta daisy, veronica, Echinacea, Huechera, monarda, Asclepias (milkweed) . I know it has been cold here... but I was thinking more should have sprouted by now?? Otherwise I fear with the super cold they may have got killed off?
Advice? How long should I wait. It IS still early for here... not much sprouting up besides some iris here.. not even tulips unless they are southern exposure. AND we just had more snow last night.. but it melted off already. I have high hopes as it is forecast for 70 this Saturday. (fingers crossed).
Thanks in advance.
I had trouble with my few jugs drying out. I have watered them, but they dry out. It's been so windy. I decided to let them go, and will water them when they get dry. Who knows what will happen when this year.
P.S. Just realized hadn't checked them in a day or 2 and should probably move them out from under eaves. I have 2 sprouts! So yes just keep watching them. Don't know if I will get any more, but can't get that cold time back now . LOL
I don't close the tops - you want the snow and rain to get in. So yes, I'd say open the tops. In terms of cracking the hinged part of plastic jugs I do that when I have big seedlings just before I transplant them. Last year some of them had to wait a long while before I could get them in the ground so I watered them and actually put a large rock in the top part to keep it hinged open, LOL.
I'd say as long as your night temps are above freezing, to open the lids on the ones that have sprouted. The unsprouted containers will wake up, and when they have true leaves, I'd open them too. For now it's probably best to leave the unsprouted ones closed, to retain moisture and help along the germination process.
Many of mine didn't sprout until we were well into day temps of 70s and nights in the 50s.