CLOSED: Birds at High Island, Texas (Gulf Coast near Galveston)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

There were a few birds that I just wasn't sure about, so would appreciate help to ID ...

1. Thrush?
2. Swainson's Thrush?
3. and 4. Same bird but I don't know what it is.

Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

1, 2, 3 and 4 All same bird, but I don't know what.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'll take another look tomorrow when I've got more time, but for a quickie:

Set 1, 1-2 yes, Catharus thrushes; 3-4 Orange-crowned Warbler

Set 2 Common Yellowthroat, female (provisional ident)

Resin

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Resin. There was a male Common Yellowthroat out there, so probably right on the female. Will wait for further info.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Any chance that the second set is a Nashville Warbler? That's what someone sitting in the same blind is calling it, but the beak doesn't look right to me.

She is also calling the thrush in the second image of set 1 a Veery.

Patti

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Sorry, been forgetting to take that second look! Nope, not Nashville - as you say, the bill is wrong, too long and heavy (and ditto the legs); also the throat is too bright yellow (pale yellowish-white in Nashville).

Veery can be counted out easily - that is much more rufous-toned than either of your pics, and less spotted than the second. My best guesses would be Swainson's for the first, and Gray-cheeked for the second. But I don't have a high level of confidence in my idents, I find Catharus thrushes very tricky (or should that be veery tricky?? ;-))

Resin

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL. Thanks, Resin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.