AuthorContent

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2014
7:35 AM

Post #9820332

Continuing on from the Spring thread here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1346021/

Hello, warm weather!

Thumbnail by NicoleC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2014
7:44 AM

Post #9820340

Hey, Christie!

To set your ZONE:

►Click on PREFERENCES at the very top right of a page
►Click on LOCATION in the "My Preferences" box to the extreme left of the Preferences page
►Scroll down to "Please select the USDA Zone that most closely represents your winter climate: (Look it up here)"
►CLICK on the drop down box arrow and select your growing Zone
►CLICK on "Update the Preferences"
►Go to any thread (preferably this one) where you made a post, and CHECK under your Avatar. Your Zone should now be visible.

Voila! ^:-)^

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2014
8:08 AM

Post #9820357

Thanks, Nicole. You are so smart!

Ken

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2014
9:26 AM

Post #9820405

Thank you from me too Nicole love the Turtle .
Greens is all so far here still .

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2014
11:34 AM

Post #9820492

The turtles were posing so much, I don't think they wanted to give up their spots in the sun. Usually they plop in the pond as soon as someone gets within about 20 feet.

I just worked up a good sweat weeding in the garden. It feels good! Scarlet runner beans, asparagus beans, sunflowers, zucchini and melons are up; I'm still waiting on the cucumbers. Tomato and pepper plants look great. The radishes pretty much all ripened over night. My peas are covered with blooms but unfortunately I'm going out of town for a while so I hope they don't decide they've finished seeding and started to die by the time I get back.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2014
2:58 PM

Post #9820624

Thanks Nicole. Love the turtle too, very photogenic!

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2014
4:54 PM

Post #9820710

Well how are the gardens going? I fear I left my seedlings in their peat pots too long and they are just so TINY! Anyway, rather than plant nothing, I transplanted my fish peppers, ghost peppers, and peperone de cuneo peppers yesterday, along with my kentucky wonder pole beans. I also noticed that my corn and squash are finally up! And out of my 32 tomato transplants, I lost 3, but that's okay, I have replacements at the ready. Also they have been in the ground for 2 weeks and have only had to water once! The rain has been taking care of the rest, praying for El Niño this year like I've heard rumors of..

Anywho I am so happy to finally get this garden growing! 😄

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2014
6:21 PM

Post #9822659

We have peas!! First pea pod showed up today.

Also, the blackberries are starting to set. I have no idea how we're going to harvest them all when they're ripe. I guess we'll have to trim canes as we go so we can get them all. LOL

My cherry tomatoes have blooms on them, too! Woot!

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2014
6:35 PM

Post #9822676

Nice Steph! Can't wait to start seeing the fruits of my labor too, til then keep the pics coming :)

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2014
6:35 PM

Post #9822677

You know, this site is a great place to get a sense of just how big this country and continent are. We have such widely, w-I-d-e-l-y varied environments. Which is to say, I can identify my pea plants now.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2014
4:57 PM

Post #9823537

Once you see pods, it's not long till they're ready for harvest!

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2014
5:41 PM

Post #9823568

If you mean me, Stephanie, I know! No pea pests stand a chance finding those pods before we've downed them. Nor are any peas in any danger of extreme high heat )cooking(. :~D

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2014
6:56 PM

Post #9823654

I have a hard time not eating all the peas I harvest before I get them in the house! They are so good raw straight from the garden.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2014
7:00 PM

Post #9823658

'Exactly

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2014
11:57 AM

Post #9827163

I have started to harvest tomatoes: Gold Nugget, Supersweet 100, Sweet milions.
My plants are loaded of fruits.
This will be my best year so far. I do have a lot of very large tomatoes this year.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2014
12:02 PM

Post #9827167

Eggplants and zucchini are forming.
Peppers are loaded with fruits too !
Also, my onions tops are falling down ... could it be possible that they are ready to harvest too?
Saturday I am transplanting outside my okra plants and I am DONE !!
Happy gardening y'all !

This message was edited May 1, 2014 1:03 PM

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2014
12:15 PM

Post #9827178

Once again, drthor, I look at your pics and wish I was harvesting those scrumptious looking veggies! Mmm I can almost taste tomato cheese pie!! And grilled zucchini! Y'all are eating good in the neighborhood :)

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2014
12:17 PM

Post #9827179

You continue to blow me away drthor! And we are in the same zone?!?!? I expected to see, based on your photos, that you're in zone 10! Wow.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2014
7:57 PM

Post #9827553

13turtles I find it hard to believe that we are in the same zone. It's a strange world.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2014
10:50 PM

Post #9827609

Remember, those zones are USDA hardiness zones and are a measurement of the cold levels of an area that will affect the survival of perennial plants. They identify areas that have similar length and depth of cold and perennial plants that are expected to survive those conditions. USDA zones don't say anything about how many warm days an area will have or how high the maximum temperature will be. Death Valley is zone 8A, but way different than Oregon or Austin, : )

David R

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2014
11:57 PM

Post #9827621

Thanks David. I know but forget, because I keep thinking length of cold means number of days, and that if subtracted from 365.25 it would give me number of warm days.

And I can attest that Oregon is indeed nothing like Death Valley!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2014
4:58 PM

Post #9829100

I have peas, peas, peas everywhere! I harvested my first little pod yesterday, but it didn't make it inside the house before I popped it open to eat the peas. LOL My onions have started bulbing and the tomatoes have lots of blooms. Still have a few things to plant, too.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2014
4:24 AM

Post #9829382

Congratulations !
I cannot grow peas.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2014
12:28 PM

Post #9829715

Mmmmm yummy peas! What are you planning on next Stephanie? I'm too chicken to start my yardlongs, my soybeans are just coming up, and sunflowers too in the 3 sisters garden :)

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2014
4:30 PM

Post #9829908

I sowed 3 kinds of cucumber seeds today, Ashley, Muncher, and National Pickling. I also sowed gray zucchini seeds. I will soak my fortex beans tonight and plant those tomorrow after my doctor's appt. I think the only things left are watermelons and okra, and a few tomatoes.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2014
5:32 AM

Post #9830243

I came back from vacation to find lots of strawberries, peas just about ready (might be today), baby peppers, lots more radishes and tons of lettuce. It seems I have some work to do today!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2014
7:30 AM

Post #9830350

Sounds like you should go on vacation more, LOL!

Congrats!

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2014
8:28 AM

Post #9830400

Stephanie, sounds yum! Wish my fam ate cucumbers, I'd grow them also (or attempt to at least), but afraid I'd be swimming in cucumber kimchi and one can only eat so much!

Yeah I second Gymgirl, you came home to a pleasant surprise! I come home from vacation usually to find new holes my dog has dug, dry houseplants and yuck food in the fridge (even if I clean it out first, I don't know where it comes from)!!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2014
9:29 AM

Post #9830472

I harvested my first zucchino, my artichokes, few strawberries (the others are eaten straight in the garden), a few tomatoes, onions, lettuce ...
I am leaving for 2 weeks too ... my DH will be my assistant.
I have very large tomatoes this year and they are starting to turn color ... I hope my DH will do his job.
Probably my zucchini will look like watermelons by the time I came back ...

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2014
6:04 PM

Post #9830872

My artichokes are almost that size can't wait. Cherry tomatoes are devoured by Grandson daily. drthor , you have a safe trip will miss your wonderful pictures for two weeks, darn.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2014
6:10 AM

Post #9831192

I'm not sure if vacation is worth it, though. I spend a week trying to get everything in order to leave, and then spend a week catching up when I get back!

Given the upper 80's this week, the lettuce may be bitter by Friday. We'll see; it's fairly cool at night and nowhere near as humid as usual.

My cucumbers did not come up. Or they did and something ate them. Grrr.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2014
4:29 PM

Post #9831663

That's my experience of all vacations Nicole. Maybe that's why some European nations have a full month? So they get an actual two weeks relaxation? Sorry about your cukes, that would get a grr from me too.

My thumb-size butterhead lettuce gleanings are already bitter, even though not bolting. So weird. Oh and I'm trying another go at the lemon cukes so I can have single-serving fruits. I don't like having the second half go mushy before my second salad, it happens so fast.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2014
12:23 PM

Post #9832404

Nicole, my cukes have not come up either, but I can see them. All the seeds Ive sown have taken forever to germinate. I sowed beans 1 month ago and some are still sprouting. I think the night time temps have been too low to let the soil get warm and then there is evaporative cooling. I have one watermelon seedling.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2014
3:28 PM

Post #9832513

This is my dinner for tonight.
I decided to pick under the zucchini covered hoop and I found a nice surprise: I have zucchini !
Probably the most zucchini I have ever harvest in my garden ... definitely it is working to grow them under the Agribond protective cover !
In picture #3 you can see how easy is to spot the yellow blossom under cover.
The first larger tomato is from NINEVEH (from Baker Creek).
It is a very small plant (I am guessing it is a dwarf), but it is loaded with large tomatoes.
I think this little plant will produce more than my large Cherokee Purple.
The cucumbers are forming too ... I am leaving tomorrow sadly ...
I hope to see everybody else harvests while I am gone.
Happy gardening

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2014
4:31 PM

Post #9832562

drthor, I'll send my address & you can send me a care box!

We planted out Kohlrabi, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kale & Cabbage today.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2014
7:08 PM

Post #9832679

This weather is so strange. My volunteer Tomatoes are just starting to come up and it's May? Only took 1 month for H2O seeds to germinate. Supposed to storm tonight.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2014
5:47 AM

Post #9832925

I'm not sure what you have going on there, Lisa. Our nights have been pleasantly cool (50s), but the soil is quite warm. My other curcurbits sprouted immediately and are well sized, and my volunteer tomatoes were up in March (although that was a deadly decision).

I needed to buy sweet potatoes anyway, so I bought cucumber plants. Cucumbers are in the two beds that don't do as well as the others this year. I think they might be too close to my big poplar tree -- you'd think 40 feet away would be enough, but maybe not. It's a strong healthy tree and not close to full sized, so I hope it's something else. If not, I may start to "lose" more beds.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2014
12:36 PM

Post #9833336

Well, last nite I sowed more cuke seeds bc the others didn't sprout. I went out today and the first ones I sowed had sprouted. Going to have lots of cuke plants but I can transplant the crowded ones.

Nicole I know here it is the temp. 3 weeks ago it froze. Then there is the wind and rain which cause evaporative cooling. I live very rural so there is no concrete to hold the heat. When I dig down I can feel that the soil is cool. I've planted tomatoes early and if the soil hasn't warmed up they just sit there.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2014
9:34 AM

Post #9834120

It frosted about 3 weeks ago here, too, but I guess we've gotten enough sun and warm temperatures. The day after the frost the soil temp was still 68F and we've been fairly warm since then.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2014
5:28 PM

Post #9834505

My first harvest! These are part of the Alaska peas. There are more out there because I wasn't dressed in my gardening clothes, just my work clothes. I also have 2 other varieties that will be ready for harvest soon.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx         

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2014
7:09 PM

Post #9834612

Nice Steph!

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2014
8:53 PM

Post #9834672

Beautiful! Luscious! Yum.

I've never seen the inside of a pea pod here because they all get eaten whole. And only once did I get any peas into the house uneaten. I'm growing 4 times as many this year, and your pics are great encouragement, seeing as my plants are 5 inches tall!

Have a great. Supper!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2014
10:05 AM

Post #9835013

I can honestly day this is the first time I'm jealous on Dave's. ..

But VERY happy for you Steph.

Teach me to grow peas!!!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2014
2:52 PM

Post #9835212

LOL Linda! I just soak the peas overnight in hydrogen peroxide water and sow them the next day. Then I water 'em and they grow. I am growing 3 varieties this year, Alaska, Little Marvel, and Wando. Wando is supposedly more heat tolerant than the other 2. They like cool/cold weather, so you have to plant them either late, late fall or early, early spring, which in Texas is pretty much synonymous.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2014
6:06 PM

Post #9835318

Stephanie, do you do the same thing with your beans? Obviously you're doing something very right!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2014
6:19 PM

Post #9835332

Yes, I soak overnight in hot (from the tap hot, not boiling) water and hydrogen peroxide. I also plant them in an area that gets some shade in my garden. Almost all of my garden gets early morning shade, until about 11AM due to the big oak tree in the yard, but after that, it's all sun.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2014
9:16 PM

Post #9835463

Hmm, very similar yard to mine, except mine are two large conifers. And thank you.

I know Texas has been having some very changing weather; what's your area been like? We've been in the 50-60 day range, but possibly 90 next week. I can't seem to figure out when to put anything out. This is my first year starting veg indoors.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2014
6:46 AM

Post #9835639

We're in the 80s and 90s. It was close to 100 one day last week. Lots and lots of wind and a little bit of rain. In the evenings, we've been down in the 60s and 70s. We have had a few cold fronts come through, but it doesn't last for very long and the temps aren't all that cold.

Here's a couple of shots of the garden. The first is the main garden plot that my husband thinks is an acre, but in reality is about 15' X 20'. The second pic is the new addition that was formerly a raised bed and the walk space between. We'll extend it this fall.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2014
8:25 AM

Post #9835752

What all you got growing in there Stephanie? Looks good, and you have a helper! Nice!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2014
9:23 AM

Post #9835779

That's my yard boy!! LOL Okay, seriously, that's my husband who does most of the hard gardening labor. I'm so very thankful that he's got farming in his blood.

I'm growing garlic, onions (2 varieties), peas (3 varieties), tomatoes (lg. cherry, Pantano Romanesco, Homestead 24, and Marmande), gray striped zucchini, cucumbers (Muncher, Ashley, and National Pickling), pole beans (Fortex), watermelon (Sugar Baby), bell peppers, yellow squash, and okra.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2014
4:47 PM

Post #9836251

Very nice veggie choices, Stephanie, and I hope you share all your secrets w us so I for one can do better! This year's garden already looks healthier than last, so I hope I have a good harvest and soon! :))

The hubby doesn't work in te garden here.. YET! Lol

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2014
5:05 PM

Post #9836270

It'll come, spwd! I can attest to that. My DC went from 'just stay on the concrete and you'll be safe' to RESEARCHING and helping me build my raised beds, picking up a worm to move it and saying 'oh look honey, it's pooping goodness'. !!!!!!!!!! That, I have to say, is my all-time favorite personal garden story.

I'm Lu-u-ucky. Understatement.

Stephanie your garden area is really appealing, and from the sound of it really productive. I'm looking to you Texas folk now to pseudo-predict me in two months, lol. Thanks for looking good!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2014
5:37 PM

Post #9836292

Becky, I'm not sure if I can teach anyone anything! LOL It's all good now, but when the heat sets in, it's a chore to even look outside, much less get out in it! The only thing I can say is amend your soil! That's probably the best thing we've done.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2014
7:12 PM

Post #9836388

A cold front is coming in tomorrow and Tues it's supposed to be in the 60s with lows in the 40s. Then is supposed to get into the 80s. The last few days have been hot and humid. Less humidity sounds nice...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2014
7:58 PM

Post #9836443

The accompanying rain sounds nice, too. As long as it doesn't turn too severe, I'm all for it! I'll appreciate some cooler temps and the lower humidity.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2014
12:49 PM

Post #9837023

Oh man the rain isn't as heavy as we had been anticipating but I already caught 55 gallons today with more on the way!

My maters are looking so good I think I'll finally stop being chicken and post pics. Just not today, it's raining remember? Lol! And it about broke my heart to pinch all my flowers off this morning, since they're not quite big enough to set fruit yet. Well I have a few that are getting close to being mature enough. Soon...

My corn is over a foot tall, green beans are starting to get fuller and soon they'll be climbing the corn. Squash is starting to form blooms too. How do I tell male and female blooms apart, and what the heck do I do once I figure out the difference? I know I know, all these newbie questions! Sheesh ;)

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2014
3:35 PM

Post #9837152

We picked up a little over 2" of rain today. Lots and lots of thunder and lightning, which provides nitrogen to the soil and the plants. So happy for that!

The onions really appreciate the rain and nitrogen. They've started bulbing which is always a fun time of the season.

First bunch of large red cherry tomatoes! These guys are so yummy!

First Marmande tomato. (And only one so far.)

All the peas are blooming and putting on pods like crazy.

Hubby's garden expansion project. He's about halfway done with it, then will mix in another load of compost and will plant.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2014
12:12 PM

Post #9843244

First real harvest of the season today!!

Kiowa blackberries (that hubby thinks I need to make something with! LOL), peas, and some onions that I pulled to use as green onions since they didn't bulb. Still a ton of berries to pick in the next days and lots more peas will be ready soon.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2014
12:30 PM

Post #9843257

I suggest adding just a little bit of sugar to the berries, then pour them over some homemade shortbread. Follow with some heavy cream (no need to whip it).

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2014
12:47 PM

Post #9843268

He keeps eating them as he walks by them on the counter. Pretty soon, I won't have to worry about it. LOL

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2014
2:13 PM

Post #9843368

Really beautiful Stephanie.

So you did make them into something - a snack. If any of my berries make it into the house I do like David says, only without the sugar. This is a divided household: one likes sweet, the other likes sour, so it's your tomatoes, my tomatoes, your berries, my berries.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2014
4:59 PM

Post #9843528

I took a nap since I was up early to work out in the garden and I've not totally recuperated from my work week last week. I usually do that on Sundays, but I went to the North Central Texas round up (DG's version of a plant swap/meet) and spent my whole afternoon trading and talking plants. Tough way to spend the day! LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2014
5:05 PM

Post #9843533

Did you get any pictures ?

I miss the RU's. We went to Kentucky 4 years in a row. But it's a long trip, 800 miles.
7 years at Iowa RU, but that fell apart when Dave sold DG. Many left for other sites.

Might drop in at Texas one of these days, although it's hard to get away this time of the year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2014
5:19 PM

Post #9843549

Yes and while my garden is only starting ,,
Most of the RU's Seem to of went South ,) Like Texas ,

Pic of where I am ;
Pumpkin
Watermelon
Pepper
Cucumber
Catnip

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2014
5:21 PM

Post #9843555

Country, I didn't take pics this time, but when they post them on the Texas forum, I'll post a link.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2014
3:07 PM

Post #9844401

Here's the link to the RU pics.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1361068/

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2014
10:28 AM

Post #9846981

I am finally back home.
While I was away my DH harvested a few tomatoes (picture #1)
Yesterday I found more tomatoes, huge squashes, eggplants, cucumbers and blackberries (picture #2-3)
I also harvested 4 bags of lettuce (most of them were starting to bolt) and a few peppers (picture #4).
Then I went outside today and found more tomatoes and blackberries.
The tomato plants are loaded of huge green tomatoes.
One of my husband pet claim up the veggie garden and ate half of my pepper plants ... the others were all been walked over ... so maybe not so many peppers for me this year !

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2014
10:30 AM

Post #9846982

Onions and garlic are ready. I have started to harvest the garlic and then ... I stopped and went to look at my Bio-dynamic calendar and today in NOT a root day.
I will harvest them on a root day next week, so they will store much better.
I think I might have tons of garlic this year ...

Thumbnail by drthor

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2014
5:32 PM

Post #9847324

More peas harvested yesterday, 5/22/14. These are the last of the Alaska peas as well as some Little Marvels.
My patriotic Kiowa blackberries. We've harvested about 6 cups of berries so far and there's tons more.
Got some maters brewing! These are Marmande tomatoes, I think. They could be Homestead, though. LOL
Hubby expanded the garden a bit, so he just had to go buy more things to plant. These are various bell peppers.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2014
7:06 PM

Post #9847416

What in the world is a "Root Day"? What determines length of storage for garlic bulbs? Do you do something to prepare your garlic for storage?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2014
5:18 AM

Post #9847620

klrkkr
I follow the Maria Thun Bio-dynamic calendar.
See a sample in the picture. It has all the planting dates ready for you.
I just follow the colors. Brown is for "roots", planting, transplanting and harvesting.
I have been following this calendar for 4 years now and it works like magic !

Thumbnail by drthor

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2014
7:14 AM

Post #9847707

Okey, dokey. Now for the garlic questions.

Ken

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2014
9:20 AM

Post #9847852

Wow Steph, thinks are looking great! Thank you so much for the blackberry plants also, can't wait to pick my first fruits next year!

Drthor, nice harvest! I don't know if my garden will produce much this year, but it's looking better every day :)

Couple pics, first one is a quickie shot of the tomato rows, 34 plants. They've been in ground a little over a month. The next one is a blueberry tomato plant whose leaves are curling.. What the heck could be causing that? I had noticed blister beetles on a few of the plants and was diligent about picking them off and squishing them, been watering every other day if no rain, and they probably could use a feeding when we get back, just can't figure out the leaf curl issue 😩

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2014
9:25 AM

Post #9847859

Here's a shot of one of those little nasty things I took when I first discovered them, and a shot of the three sisters raised bed from the same time. We've gotten some rain since then and it's grown a bit more :)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2014
10:04 AM

Post #9847882

So where r these pics u speak of?

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2014
10:28 AM

Post #9847904

Weeeird, it says "click an image for an enlarged view" like there's suppose to be a pic there but no pic. Let's try again..

1 The leaf curl plant, 2 the blister beetle, 3 the tomato rows, and 4 the three sisters :)

This message was edited May 24, 2014 11:30 AM

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   

Kamikid
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2014
12:48 PM

Post #9847995

Is there a lettuce that can be planted in the summer?

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2014
2:41 PM

Post #9848076

I have never had any luck growing lettuce in the hot months of late spring/summer/early fall. It will bolt. I think you could take it when small though, particularly leaf lettuce. I think that is called "baby lettuce".

Ken
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2014
7:12 PM

Post #9848311

First I couldn't see the pics, now I can't see any lettuce. What wrong with me...?

Many times leaf curl just happens...but I have to ask if you see any webbing on the leaves?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2014
7:18 PM

Post #9848312

Becky, you can try growing lettuce inside during the summer. I've never tried it, but that's the only way you can get lettuce in Texas in the summer. It does great in the fall, winter (if it's mild), and early spring.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2014
8:12 PM

Post #9848399

Sorry y'all I wasn't the one asking about lettuce, but I'll take note nonetheless ;)

No webbing on the leaves, actually they look great aside from the slight curling. I first noticed it, then found the bugs. Now after picking off fifty or so bugs, the plants seem to be thriving again. And more importantly, the bugs are gone with no chemicals!

I did lose two plants at the get go, that's what you see in the pic above, 2 milk jug "sun bonnets" for new transplants. I clipped off two large cuttings from my Matts wild cherry tomato plants (since they are doing great) and stuck them straight into the holes from the recently deceased plants. So far so good, really hope my MIL is watering in my absence...

Most of the plants are flowering, I pinched off all the blooms about 10 days ago, but I can't bear to pinch them off again!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2014
6:14 AM

Post #9848584

Becky, you can spray weekly with a mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap (or Dr. Bronner's, but Murphy's works better), liquid seaweed or fish emulsion, compost tea, and liquid molasses to control most bugs and to fertilize your soil and plants. It works great! However, you have to spray either very, very, very early in the AM or late in the evening.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2014
10:10 AM

Post #9849664

Tomatoes are ripening daily.
I have start to harvest them every other day now.
The plants are loaded. I will have the largest tomatoes ever this year.
On picture #1, is Cherokee Purple = 12 1/4 oz.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2014
10:11 AM

Post #9849665

Very large tomatoes this year.
The largest are the ones that survived the 15F weather.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2014
1:40 PM

Post #9849814

Harvested tons of Kiowa blackberries today! I made a cobbler with some of them, but there's still tons more out on the plants ripening up and some in the fridge waiting to be prepared into something. Also harvested more peas today. Peas are almost finished.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2014
2:15 PM

Post #9849842

Ohhhh...Stephanie...I'm so jealous..I love Blackberries, can't imagine having enough to make cobbler.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2014
2:27 PM

Post #9849858

Great year for blackberries !

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2014
3:53 PM

Post #9849945

Here's my cobbler! First time I've ever made blackberry cobbler. I have enough blackberries to make at least 3 more. LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2014
4:15 PM

Post #9849968

The sign reads ; UNFAIR TO TASTEBUDS WITHOUT !!!
Still at lettuce, Kale. and Herbs here ...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2014
4:31 PM

Post #9849981

The recipe only used 4 C of blackberries, so I have plenty left. On my way home from work tomorrow, I think I'm going to stop at the dollar store and see if I can pick up some jelly jars to make jam.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2014
7:38 PM

Post #9850154

Looks fantastic!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2014
8:00 PM

Post #9850165

Got a few pictures.
Our new garden area at the neighbors.
#1 Peas in front, Green beans behind the peas.
#2 Onions. Tunnels in back are Summer Squash & Cucumbers.
#3 Early planted Cabbage.
#4 Eggplant.
#5 Sweet Peppers.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2014
8:02 PM

Post #9850166

Continuing,
#1 Later planting of Cabbage.
#2 Second planting of Peas.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens         

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2014
5:32 AM

Post #9850339

Thanks Steph! For the bug spray recipe AND for making me crave blackberry cobbler in the worst way! It looks goooooood :))

CountryGardens, all I have to say is WOW! Can't wait to see them grow..

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2014
6:57 AM

Post #9850444

Bernie, I'm really jealous! I've got nothing in the ground this year.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2014
7:17 AM

Post #9850462

When I was an early teenager, there was a HUGE Mulberry TREE in a lot next door. We would climb that tree all summer long, and harvest dark purple berries that stained your hands.

My mom would wash the berries, snap the little green stems off, and put them into a huge pot with water to cover them (she held about half of the berries in reserve). Then, she'd add sugar to the pot, and boil it all down until it made a medium thick syrup. At this point, she added the reserved berries, and dropped spoons full of Bisquick Dumpling dough into the slurry.

We'd have our bowls ready, and she'd drop a dumpling into the center, and spoon berries and juice over it. The dumpling was gooey on the outside, but fluffy like cake on the inside! We'd eat til we almost turned purple, LOL!

So, so, so good!

I guess you could do this with blackberries, too, yah think?

LMK, LOL, and I'll rush right over.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2014
6:47 PM

Post #9850986

Mmm that sounds good too, Linda! I bake my cobblers with homemade pie crust on the top and bottom! And I serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.. Yummy!! 😋

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2014
6:27 AM

Post #9851301

Blackberries are still green here. Blueberries are coming on, I have peppers and baby tomatoes, and there will be zukes soon.

Radishes and peas are going to seed and I am keeping an eye on my garlic for harvest time.

Thumbnail by NicoleC   Thumbnail by NicoleC   Thumbnail by NicoleC   Thumbnail by NicoleC   Thumbnail by NicoleC

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2014
6:36 AM

Post #9851311

A few more pics.

Thumbnail by NicoleC   Thumbnail by NicoleC   Thumbnail by NicoleC   Thumbnail by NicoleC   Thumbnail by NicoleC

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2014
9:11 AM

Post #9851481

Love the pics Nicole, the birds are great! And the peppers are gorgeous! What type are they?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2014
2:05 PM

Post #9851768

Nicole your garden beds are beautiful and I love the duckies.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2014
2:25 PM

Post #9851782

Those peppers are Islander F1. Purple when "green" :)
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6831-islander-f1.aspx

Thanks for the compliments!

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2014
5:00 PM

Post #9851913

Well, my tomatoes outside made it through their accidental first night uncovered; they looked just fine this morning. Oh and some of the basil with them. The Sugar Ann peas are blooming -- yay! -- the Little Marvels not yet. Everything else, I think, is either still inside in small pots or. Not yet direct planted.

Here's a strange thing: in this region, I was advised to plant my onions and garlic in the fall, to be harvested about July I think. One of those onions has a stalk as big around as my wrist! I don't know if I should have pulled it even with green growth, but I'm leaving it to see if it became the onion that ate my back garden!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014
9:18 AM

Post #9852447

Harvested all the onions and garlic.
Here what I have learn this year:
ONIONS – it was worth to plant in December this year (2 months earlier than normal). Onions did seat there for months … until the weather changed and they started to bulb up really fast.
I have also learn to remove the dirt around the onion as soon as it starts to bulb up. I never had so large onions.
I will order again my onions from Dixondale on their first available date (normally December 9th)
GARLIC - I must respect my zone planting dates = mid-September to mid-October.
I did plant on the first week of September (because I was going on a trip) …. Then I got home and did another planting on the 17th of October (2 days after the suggested date).
The garlic planted in September made very small bulbs, while the one planted later is 3 times larger !! Lesson learn!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014

Post #9852451

I am harvesting tomatoes every other day now.
As soon as their bottom turns color I harvest them.
I let the tomatoes ripen in the kitchen. And on picture #2 you can see how I organize them.
On the left I have the most ripe, and these are the ones we eat first. If they will ripe too quick, I will just put them on a zip lock bag and freeze them.

This is the first year that I am able to grow zucchini. The plants are still under the Agribon cover. I do harvest the male flowers daily and hand-pollinate the female ones. So far so good !

This is also the best year for blackberries. They hardly make it to the kitchen for picture. I ate 99% right from the vine. The plants did enjoy the cooler winter and the later rain made them so sweet. Yummy !

Just a few cucumbers and eggplants for now. Okra is making the first pods too.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor      

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2014
9:24 AM

Post #9852452

I haven't posted for a while - been really busy tending the garden & making jam for the farmers market. But I got a breather today & thought I'd share some pics.
1. Corn is coming along beautifully. I'm starting to get tassels on most of them. I planted 2 4x8 boxes of Mirai bicolor.
2. Blackberries are starting to come on strong. I planted Arapaho & Ouachita. This is only my 2nd summer with them. So for, I've picked about 2 gallons. Those are going to be a great cobbler & some jam.
3. Peppers. These are the jalapenos. The habaneros are also doing great, but they're slower. I use both a lot in my pepper jelly making.
4. Strawberries. This is my first time trying strawberries, They're starting to finish up since the heat is getting to them. From 1 bed that's 4x8, I got about 2-flats worth. Here in south Louisiana, we don't keep strawberries as a perennial, but rather replant every year, The heat, humidity, disease & bugs kind of prevent that,
5. Onions. I'm kind of ashamed of my onions this year. I just let the weeds take over. Still, I got a pretty good crop & the desperately need to be picked this week.

Thumbnail by jomoncon   Thumbnail by jomoncon   Thumbnail by jomoncon   Thumbnail by jomoncon   Thumbnail by jomoncon

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014
9:27 AM

Post #9852453

jomoncon,
your garden is amazing. Thanks for taking the time to post these amazing pictures.
Happy gardening !

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014
9:28 AM

Post #9852455

Yep, all my garlic (hardneck, softneck, and Creole) was planted mid-October. Did you only plant one variety? Your onions and garlic look great!

I have twelve varieties. The three varieties of hardneck was dug up three weeks ago, and is now all bagged, and the Creole (five varieties) was dug up last week-end. The four varieties of softneck has not been dug up. I had planned on doing this yesterday, but we have had off-and-on rain for two days and I would like for the garden to dry out before digging it up. I cure my garlic for two weeks before bagging.

Ken, NE Mississippi

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014
9:46 AM

Post #9852469

yes, I normally spend $4 at Costco.
In August they will have garlic from California and not from China.
I had the best luck with this kind of garlic.
I will also cure my garlic and onions for two weeks.

Klkkr, what do you mean "before bagging" ?
Do you store your garlic in a bag?

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2014
10:01 AM

Post #9852486

Nicole, did you get yours at Johnny's too?

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2014
1:22 PM

Post #9852632

Drthor, WOW! What does your garlic/ onion bed grow for the rest of the year? Think I could get away with planting the garlic in December as well? I ask this since I already used up all my growing space.. But after last fall harvests, I should have tons of room! Do you have good luck companion planting anything with them, the onions and garlic? I have a few different types of garlics and would love to grow them on a larger scale like you, so I could support our "habit" all on my own :)

I'm also doing zucchini, and the bees are scarce, been reading on hand pollinating and this I can do! Lol I already have a few babies out there but the first one seems to have BER.. I figure it's probably due to all this rain. I did hear that if you remove the fading flower after the fruit starts to form, it can help prevent the blossom end rot. I'm sure some mulch wouldnt hurt either..

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2014
1:30 PM

Post #9852637

Drthor,
Your onions and garlic are beautiful. Congratulations! I only managed to get large onions my very first time growing them. I think I'll be moving them from the Earthboxes to the raised beds in the future.

Jo,
I'm coming to your house next time I'm home. You are looking great, girl!

Regarding the strawberries, have you tried growing them in the fall/winter? I grew my first ones in an eBucket I made, and had a wonderful harvest. They do fine in our mild winters.

I'll be stopping by for some jelly next time I'm home.

Linda

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2014
1:45 PM

Post #9852647

Jo,
I misread your post. If your strawberries are finishing up now, that means you DID plant them in the cool weather, LOL!

Linda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2014
2:04 PM

Post #9852657

[quote="StillPlaysWDirt"]Nicole, did you get yours at Johnny's too?[/quote]

The Islander peppers? Yes. I think it's the only place you can get it.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014
3:39 PM

Post #9852788

Becky, start garlic in late September or early October. There's a guy in Brownwood that grows and sells garlic to eat and to plant.

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/index.htm

One of these years, I'm going to order some of his garlic and grow it. He's got a lot of good info on planting and harvesting garlic on his site. You're close enough you might be able to take a day trip out to his farm.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014
3:48 PM

Post #9852809

Yesterday, I got off work early and it was cloudy so I snapped a few garden pics. I love how the garden looks this time of year. I know I won't feel the same way in about a month. LOL

Hubby's gray striped zucchini. I'm not sure if I should thin these out or not. I'm trying to train them UP the ladder. So far, it's not working.

From the front looking to the back. Onions, tomatoes (lots of tomatoes), peas on their last leg, and pole beans to the left. Not sure what I"m going to plant when the onions come out. Hmmmm...

Fortex beans. These have taken off with the recent rains we've had.

More tomatoes and bell peppers. We need to mulch, but barely got the peppers in before the rains came. That's on my agenda this weekend. The neighbor's cat's made a bed out of one of the bags of leaves I want to use. Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

The blackberry patch. Very overgrown and very loaded with berries. We're going to clean this out after harvest. We'll leave the really tall canes as those are the ones that will produce berries next year. We'll cut out the ones that produced this year. We can't even get back to the canes next to the shed. Who knows what's living back there.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014
4:08 PM

Post #9852835

SPWD-it sounds like your zucchini isn't getting pollinated, the female flowers have a small squash behind the flower, if they don't get pollinated they rot. It can look like BER. Hand pollinating is easy and will solve that problem. The lack of bees could also be due to the rain, but it sure has brought out the Mosquitos.

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2014
5:01 PM

Post #9852901

I finally got around to harvesting all my onions. At least DH did! There were a lot more than I thought. A few had started to rot in the ground, but the vast majority were great. Quite a few were softball sized. Some were from seed I started last September, but most were from Dixondale. Now that I know how easy it is to start from seed, I think I'll try seeding all my onions next season.

Yes Linda, I planted the strawberries last fall, I think October. They made it through all of the freezes here with a frost blanket cover.

Plus I did a test run on mayhaw jelly. I've never made it before; never tasted it before, never even heard of it before. But I have a lot of customers asking for it. I found a place in north Louisiana who sells & ships the pure juice. It did come out pretty good, so it'll be at the farmers market this weekend.
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2014
7:40 PM

Post #9853082

drthor, all my garlic go into sandwich bags, those ordinary brown paper ones. That's it. Garlic should not be subjected to light, heat, or moisture for proper storage, so the brown paper bags are perfect. I bag them up in 1/4lb., 1/2lb., and 1lb. bags. We just finished up eating the last of our Creole, just when I bagged up the first of the hardneck. That Creole was just about as flavorful as when it was bagged up last June. There is a pecking order when using the garlics.

Stephanie, is this guy selling garlic(s) for eating and then another garlic(s) for planting?

The picture is one side of my greenhouse. The opposite side looks the same.

Ken

Thumbnail by klrkkr

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2014
5:43 AM

Post #9853279

fantastic pictures everybody.
keep posting
StillPlaysWDirt,
I always plant my garlic along the sides of my beds, just one clove after the other (I don't do anything to them ... just let them grow)
The onions this year had their own bed, but in one bed I did plant peppers and in the other I did plant okra. Now peppers and okra don't have anything around and they are growing on their own. No problem with companion.
I told you ... I am a squeezer gardener.

klrkkr
do you cut the stem of the garlic before you store them in a paper bag.
where do you buy your bags?

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2014
5:54 AM

Post #9853289

Yes, after curing for two weeks, the stems are cut approximately 2" above the bulb. The only time I wouldn't cut the stems is if a buyer wants to braid the garlic (only softneck is braidable).

The paper sacks can be bought in any grocery store. They will be found with the plastic baggies. They often will have two sizes, though both will say "Sandwich Bags". I use the smaller ones for 1/4 lb. and the larger ones for 1/2 and 1 lb. of garlic.

Ken

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2014
8:32 AM

Post #9853481

thanks
do you also bag the onions?

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2014
12:35 PM

Post #9853659

I do and in fact have a few dozen large bulbs to dig up. They won't keep nearly as long as the garlic though. We will end up making several gallons of French onion soup and freezing the bulk of it. I don't sell my onions.

Ken
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2014
1:05 PM

Post #9853682

Last year I planted an Egglant called Thai Purple Egg. The plant was huge, more like a ornamental/edible bush, then a regular eggplant. It was loaded with fruit that I thought tasted terrible but it was really pretty. Last summer I thought that winter might kill it back to the roots but just maybe it would come back this summer. After it got so cold this winter I was shocked, when I went to the garden a couple days ago and it was coming back from the roots. I'll try to post pics later, I'm not on my computer...but while not very tasty IMHO it is a beautiful plant.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2014
2:33 PM

Post #9853736

Jo Ann-your onions are beautiful!! I'm afraid my onion harvest this year is going to be pretty pathetic.

Ken, all the garlic is sold for planting, but you can always eat it. I think he does have some offerings that are used for cooking. I watched a video of a story done on his farm on the TV show, "Texas Country Reporter". The guy was harvesting some of his garlic and just bit into one like you would an apple. All I kept thinking was, "At least I don't have to smell him!"

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2014
11:35 PM

Post #9854087

Well I'm gonna have to wait til next year for the islander peppers, I already have too many seeds to justify buying any more!

Thanks for the link to the garlic guy, Steph, you're right, he's only about 2 hours out! If I do make it out there, I'll get with you first and see if I can pick any up for you while I'm there :)

Lisa, you're right, I'm gonna have to start hand pollinating for sure, this one was already growing though, about 3 times the size of the immature "babies" attached to the female blooms. And it was looking bigger every day until I noticed the bloom end was darker than te rest and now is shriveling from that end. I'll post more pics tomorrow, just been a crazy week w kids grad ceremonies and whatnot.. And btw that eggplant sounds like my kind of plant.. Crazy!

Drthor, that sounds like the route for me, planting cloves to border my beds, so I can still plant other stuff between harvests. I like your squeezer mentality!

I was at the grocery today and saw some purple streaked garlic bulbs, what kind would that be and could I buy/ store some now til fall planting?

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2014
5:20 AM

Post #9854160

Lots of garlics have purple streaked bulbs, so I don't know what they were. Do you know where this garlic originated?

IF these bulbs came from a commercial grower, they may have been treated so that their shelf-life is lengthened. This means that they will not/might not germinate when planted. There is just no way to know this. I have a solution though and will D-Mail you.

Ken

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2014
5:24 AM

Post #9854166

You could be like me and not plant any garlic and still have garlic come up from bulblets missed in previous years. LOL

Yesterday's blackberry harvest, only about 2/3s of what was out there, too. I think I'm going to bake something with blackberries everyday for the next 5 days that I'm off.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2014
10:44 AM

Post #9854414

My blackberries look sad. Tiny fruit. But the blueberries right next to them look great. Maybe next year.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2014
2:40 PM

Post #9854582

The only garlic around here is wild but it grows and I harvest it so I'm not complaining.

I'll try to post pics of that Eggplant in PFs too. It really is/was a beautiful bush that required next to no care and wasnt bothered by pests. I planted it too close to other EP bc I didn't know it's growth habit but I could see it being used for landscaping. It got about 4' by 4' and was loaded with little purple eggs. I'm wondering how it will look this year. It must be a strange yr if ts just coming back and my volunteer tomatoes are only about 4"tall.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2014
3:12 PM

Post #9854607

My last harvest.
I am still harvesting lettuce ...but it is starting to bolt.
Tons of tomatoes this year.
Finally I can grow squash. I am so happy.
Today I saw both a squash bug seated on top of the squash cover and one SVB flying around the cover. I hope they will NOT find an entrance.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2014
3:14 PM

Post #9854608

The tomatoes this year are huge.
I have the largest Jeaunne Flamme ever this year.
Today I did apply pine needles on my veggie garden.
I have spotted the first watermelon.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2014
3:16 PM

Post #9854610

Tomorrow I will harvest the first okra pods.
Cucumbers all of a sudden are starting to form and beautiful white Casper eggplant.
I love this time of the year !

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2014
10:59 AM

Post #9856536

My harvest from today. Three heads of garlic is pretty good when I didn't plant ANY in the fall. LOL

Found a wee baby watermelon on one of our watermelon plants. Not sure it's gonna make it, but it was a fun discovery.

This is my husband's gray striped zucchini. I think we have too many plants in one spot! We picked up some yellow frisbees at Wal-Mart yesterday. Gonna put them near the squash plants and fill with soapy water to ward off the SVB.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx      

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2014
10:08 AM

Post #9857577

Thanks for the Dmail, Ken, and the purple garlic at the grocery was a hardneck type. No idea on the name or where it was grown, but I may try and get some when I go back later this week.

Lisa (and all), I have a ton of garlic growing wild along the creek behind my house too. It's nice and clean back there, was thinking about digging some up to replant in my garden. What preparations need to be taken to do this? Could I dig them up now (the foliage is brown and withered) and store them until fall?

Oh Stephanie, your blackberries are so yum looking! Your hub is lucky to have you spoiling him with fresh baked goodies!!

Another question for all, especially fellow texas gardeners.. Is it too late to start watermelons and pumpkins? Perhaps even some squash? I finally found space to put them and it would be a great project for the kiddos to get involved in :)

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2014
10:18 AM

Post #9857585

I don't anything about "wild" garlic, but my guess would be that this is the best time to dig them up.

Ken

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2014
10:33 AM

Post #9857603

According to this planting calendar for North Texas http://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/urbantarranthorticulture/files/2010/06/Recommended_Planting_Dates_for_North_Texas1.pdf , you can plant mid-June for a fall crop. Sounds like you're ready to start your fall garden!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2014
12:50 PM

Post #9857755

Its not too late to start watermelon or pumpkins (winter squash-vining) they have a much longer DTM then summer squash. As long as you have about 100 days until your first frost you can grow pumpkins and watermelon. Summer squash has a DTM of about 55-60 days. They won't germinate if the soil is too cool but they also need more water thru the heat of the summer. I grow a lot of squash (vining) from Thailand. They seem to grow very easily in our hot summers.

Ohhhh...I have baby tomatoes. I know, it's late, but I'm still excited and there seems to be a couple on almost every plant.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2014
1:36 PM

Post #9857811

Congrats on your babies!

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2014
3:35 PM

Post #9857930

Thanks for the link Steph! Bookmarking that bad boy so I don't lose it! Yay I'm so excited, gonna work that new bed next week with the kiddos. Thinking moon and stars watermelon, white pumpkins, ananas d'amerique melons and some butternut squash. I know I have the seeds, just need to check the DTM on those.

Congrats Lisa! Were in the same boat, lotsa tempting little clusters of baby maters here too! Hope they can be harvested before the grasshoppers find them!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2014
3:39 PM

Post #9857938

I've never had much luck with Moon & Stars. I have had tremendous success with Crimson Sweet and Sugar Baby. Most success with Crimson Sweet. The vines are really, really, really long, but the fruits get large and are so sweet.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2014
4:12 PM

Post #9857974

My 10 y/o picked out some crimson sweet seeds so I'm glad to hear they'll do well here. I know I had some sugar baby but I think I traded them all out.. Dangit! LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2014
4:24 PM

Post #9857983

Exactly the opposite of Stephanietx here ; Moon and stars do okay the others , CW and SB , not much ever from them here ,
I am trying a million bucks Hybrid this year Their just now beginning to grow, 4 to 6 leaves .
Everything is starting slow here , although that is no new thing here , this soil and earth here is not watermelon country .

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2014
5:29 PM

Post #9858054

from above ; small garden, Big Hopes .
The watermelon
Two of these are from March Sow , Does that count as winter sowing Watermelon ?

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2014
5:35 AM

Post #9858520

I am harvesting every other day right now.
This year I have huge tomatoes.
Picture #2 and #3 is Jubilee Golden. Its taste is just amazing. The plant might have 6 more ripening soon.
A few cucumbers, but soon more ... and also Okra.
The majority of the blackberries are eaten straight in the garden ... just a few make it to the kitchen ...
The weather is getting warmer.
I have noticed a few tomatoes have a little pin mark on their skin ... I wonder if the leafooted bugs are already here ...
has anybody seen a leafooted bug in the Dallas area yet?

Happy gardening ...

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2014

Post #9859749

Dangit, I'm _still_ tying up tomatoes!! Good news is I'm down to my last 4 floppy plants, and all the rest have fruit on them.. Woot!!

Anyone know what this little guy is? I found a dozen or so in the last week of pruning/tying and want to what he is and if he needs to go bye byes :)

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2014
10:33 AM

Post #9859800

A big, bad, plant-eating caterpillar. Pick them off as you find them. Some may be very small but they "grow up" quickly. Put them out on a bird feeder. The birds love them.

Ken

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2014
10:58 AM

Post #9859814

StillPlaysWDirt
I don't know the name of that worm, but it likes to drill a hole in the tomatoes (green or red).
Say bye bye to them.

My daily harvest. A very nice surprise this year is "Orange Icicle" which is that long yellow tomato in the right side of the picture. Huge production from this plant. The tomato taste like a sauce tomato, really sweet.
Also huge production this year from Green and Black Zebra on the left of the picture.

Yesterday I found two Squash Bugs mating under my squash cover ... I did squished one ... grrrrr..

Thumbnail by drthor

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2014
5:20 PM

Post #9860245

It looks like a worm. ;) It looks similar to a cutworm.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2014
10:18 AM

Post #9861594

Ok thank you for the caterpillar advice, the birds will be so thankful :)

Come to find out, is an armyworm, very destructive caterpillar, especially to corn crops. I'm glad I noticed them before they could do any substantial damage.

Drthor, I think I saw a few leaf footed bugs also, but when I searched for the squash bugs you were referring to in your last post, it could have been one of those. I'll take a closer look next time I see one.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2014
4:30 PM

Post #9861879

You can release trichogramma wasps to help control the army worms.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2014
6:11 PM

Post #9861969

I have the slowest zucchini ripening ever. Usually they pop up overnight and get big the next day. I've had one growing about 1/2" very day for 4 days now. Maybe it's because we've had so much rain and thunderstorms. Most of my plants have doubled in size, except the peppers which are just chugging along.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2014
9:06 AM

Post #9862491

NicoleC
my zucchini are also slow to produce ... but I am no expert.
So far this year I have more zucchini than I ever had! I am very happy!
My harvest today and my 2014 record tomato ... it is Chocolate Stripes ! but I call it "the brain"!
My cucumbers are making strange shapes ... their season is not started yet !

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2014
10:27 AM

Post #9863458

The armyworms are all but gone now, along with all the other buggies. I've been hand picking them two or three times a week, and I feel good knowing I'm still organic.

This morning I harvested my first 'Odessa' squash! So excited about these :)

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2014
11:25 AM

Post #9863494

Your squashes look really nice.
Do you have a picture of how you are growing them?

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2014
12:07 PM

Post #9863535

Thanks! I thought I had posted some pics already, but I am le scatterbrained...

Pic 1 is the three sisters garden where my squash is growing, along with corn and pole beans. My sunflowers never came up, gotta replant them. Pic 2 shows the issue I'm having with the left side squash being less than half the size of the ones on the right. Methinks they're being shaded by the other plants too much, but that's just a guess. Pic 3 shows how I protect them from the horrible grasshoppers, once they are about half the size they'll become, I place them in a pantyhose sleeve and secure w green stretch tape. LOL kids think in weird but it works! Pic 4 is when the bed was just getting started, to show the spacing better. Pic 5 is the tomatoes, I finally finished tying them all and removing lower branches. They look a lot better but I had to remove a lot more foliage than I had originally planned on.

I realized when I was picking the squash, some of my pole bean plants are browning! I wonder if I should try to replant or if it's too late to get them going? I could replant the kentucky wonders or try asian yardlongs instead. Any thoughts on this?

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2014
1:42 PM

Post #9863601

I'm kind of in between harvests. I've got a lot of tomatoes that I'm waiting on to ripen and the squash and cukes have just started taking off.

Here's my garlic and the last of the blackberry harvest. It's pretty impressive considering I didn't plant any garlic last fall. These grew from either bulblets left in the ground when we harvested or ones that we planted 2 falls ago.

We have a wee baby watermelon! I'm excited as I love watermelon!

The Gray Striped Zucchini are so big! Unfortunately, the SVB moth has found them so I've been looking for eggs daily. So far, I've only found 2, but that's 2 too many.

Part of our onion harvest. Not too bad for planting them almost a month too late. We have a few more out in the garden whose leaves haven't fallen over, so they're still growing. This year, we planted Texas Early White and a yellow one, not 1015 or Granex.

A partial view of the garden. Mark's been working on the water catchment system, too.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2014
1:48 PM

Post #9863606

Check the pole beans for Spider Mites. Beans are very attractive to SMs. I sow seeds all summer long.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2014
1:48 PM

Post #9863607

Sorry the same thing posted twice..

This message was edited Jun 9, 2014 2:50 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 9, 2014
2:18 PM

Post #9863641

I think you have entirely to much stuff in your small area.
Squash like a lot of room.
We plant in rows 6 ft apart & 2 ft between plants.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2014
2:38 PM

Post #9863668

They seem to be happy. I don't have a ton of room.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2014
3:06 PM

Post #9863697

Steph, yours DO look great. The squash and the whole plot for that matter. I think CG's comment may have been directed at me. I never thought they could be overcrowded, but I bet they're right..

Sooo, since the squash are planted a foot apart, think I could pull every other plant to allow the 2 foot spacing between? Or would pulling some affect the roots of the plants I intend to leave in-ground also? Sorry, I know I'm always asking so many questions! I learn best by screwing things up and troubleshooting LOL

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2014
6:57 PM

Post #9863879

Oh...gotcha! You could thin out some to give them enough breathing and growing space. I never could make the square foot garden work for me.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2014
7:37 PM

Post #9863914

If you snip rather than pull, less chance of disturbing the roots of neighboring plants. ..go for it!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2014
5:22 AM

Post #9864195

I found a few Leaffotted bugs babies on the tomatoes.
They are so gross ... They suck out the juice from the tomato and they make it very bad taste.
I squish squish

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2014
12:29 PM

Post #9864558

Looks like we've got some yellow squash brewing. I'm not a fan of squash, but hubby likes it, so he planted it.

I also found the first gray striped zucchini today. I hand pollinated it just in case it didn't get pollinated.

Found my first ripening tomato!! Woohoo! I'm pretty sure this is a Homestead.

Something's amiss with the newest growth on my beans. They've developed these raised areas on the leaves. I found no bugs after a thorough investigation. We have had some weird weather. It was in the mid to upper 90s last week with high humidity, then we had heavy rains and now we're having a cool day with a light breeze. It's just on new growth at the top of the trellis. As you can see by the final pic, the bottom leaves are just fine. Any ideas what's causing this?

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2014
8:28 PM

Post #9864927

I've never seen leaves like that on beans I hope somebody knows what it is. My beans aren't blooming, the plants are beautiful but no flowers. Guess Imgoing to have to put some phosphorous on them. I haven't fertilized them at all and i planted them in the same soil that everything else got planted in.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2014
10:02 AM

Post #9865300

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEUQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Flearningstore.uwex.edu%2Fpdf%2FA3374.PDF&ei=OYqYU66HEqTf8AH11YCYCg&usg=AFQjCNErz8YLAnpCnFV61vM8npQlqpwAgA&sig2=1JDovsvtByRKWrWxzoHXgQ

See page 19, COMMON MOSAIC, for the seersuckered, puckered leaves...

Hope this helps!

Linda

This message was edited Jun 11, 2014 11:08 AM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2014
5:35 PM

Post #9865725

Well hmmmm...That could be it. Thanks, Linda!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2014
3:10 PM

Post #9867264

###New thread started!!###

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1364860/

Please do not post to this thread. Please post replies on the new thread.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America