Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Something from the wilds.

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2014
1:37 PM

Post #9823394

These are new sprouts of a large leaved plant I dug up to add to my Hosta garden. In the wild, they appear on moist, disturbed Appalachian slopes. They kind of look like a cross between rhubarb and colts foot with large pubescent leaves, backed in silver. The leaves are elliptical but formed of several almost straight edged segments. The leaves are more elongated when mature than in these sprouts. It's probably a weed, but I find it quite handsome.

Thumbnail by sladeofsky
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fixpix
Oradea
Romania

April 28, 2014
2:49 AM

Post #9823796

tempted to say Ligularia, but I'm possibly wrong...
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 28, 2014
5:46 AM

Post #9823876

Tussilago farfara - leaves emerge after flowering:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=coltsfoot&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UU1eU-WpF6m4yQGH6oDQCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1623&bih=990#q=tussilago farfara leaves&rls=en&tbm=isch

Here's a better link to show leaves:
[HYPERLINK@www.google.ca]

This message was edited Apr 29, 2014 10:39 AM
sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2014
7:35 AM

Post #9825079

Ligularia is not naturalized in my area. It definitely resembles Tussilago and Petasites, at leSt right now. Note that I said it looks like a blend of Coltsfoot and Rhubarb when mature. If it is Coltsfoot, that explains why I'm having trouble identifying it. But it did not bloom and the mature leaves are much much more elongated than I am accustomed to seeing in Coltsfoot.
sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2014
7:38 AM

Post #9825084

Here is a pic of some less advanced shoots. Much more kidney shaped.

Thumbnail by sladeofsky
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2014
3:34 PM

Post #9828218

So you guys almost have me convinced. However, I'm still puzzled as to why I so firmly didn't think it was Tussilago last summer when I collected them. I am wondering if I might have Petasites hybridus, which looks much more like the plant I remember. I might have to wait and see how it develops. Btw, P. hybridus is called "Bog Rhubarb" which would fit with my description of it as looking like a cross between Rhubarb and Coltsfoot. Only problem is, P. hybridus has not been scientifically observed in Ky. Still, I can imagine that invasion of species can happen faster than it being noted and recorded. I had a similar conundrum a few years ago when I noticed Lawn Marsh Pennywort everywhere. It officially didn't live here then (according to the USDA plant maps). But our hunches on DG were proven right and now it is listed as naturalized in most of KY.

This message was edited May 2, 2014 6:34 PM
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 2, 2014
4:49 PM

Post #9828290

I'm not convinced that your first photo shows Petasites hybridus - it looks like leaves of Tussilago farfara to me.
Here's Petasites hybridus:
http://extension.umass.edu/landscape/weeds/petasites-hybridus
Note the very cordate leaf bases.

I'm not sure your second photo is the same plant, though it may be - it also lacks the cordate leaf bases of Petasites hybridus.

This message was edited May 2, 2014 4:54 PM
sladeofsky
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2014
6:21 PM

Post #9828380

All the evidence seems to point to Tussilago except for my stubbornness. LOL
Still, the leaves I remember seemed very shield like and not the rounded rosettes I'm used to. I maybe because I collected the in October and the shape changes near the end of the season? Or maybe there is jus some variability in leaf shape.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America