Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: Can some one identify what I purchased at Home Depot.

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Joe914
ASTORIA, NY

April 27, 2014
10:02 PM

Post #9823741

First time buying cactus and succulents can some tell me what I have there are no labels on them , and also one of the succulents has a long root coming out of the bottom of the container as u can see in the pic and it seems to be damaged should I cut it before reporting it.

Thumbnail by Joe914   Thumbnail by Joe914
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2014
10:37 AM

Post #9824211

Hi Joe,
Well, there are thousands of succulents but I'll give it try on a couple of them. The one with the teeth looks like the hybrid aloe "minnie belle". The cactus with the flattened pads is an opuntia, hard to tell which one until it blooms. The other cactus, an echinocereus, also hard to tell until it blooms. The other I'll think about, I have owned them and should be able to pull the information from the recesses of my old brain.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2014
10:45 AM

Post #9824215

The others look like they may be Haworthias. Click on a thumbnail to see the plant.

http://www.haworthia.cz/en/galerie-nahledy.php

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2014
10:25 PM

Post #9824817

I'm so glad you came up with that, I was about to get out the succulent books to refresh my memory.
I've never had much luck with haworthias, maybe it's just too dry here in California for them.
As far as the root goes, I'd leave it unless you can't get the plant out. It isn't going to make any difference, succulents need very little root to survive so losing it won't matter.
Joe914
ASTORIA, NY

April 28, 2014
10:40 PM

Post #9824833

Domehomedee wrote:I'm so glad you came up with that, I was about to get out the succulent books to refresh my memory.
I've never had much luck with haworthias, maybe it's just too dry here in California for them.
As far as the root goes, I'd leave it unless you can't get the plant out. It isn't going to make any difference, succulents need very little root to survive so losing it won't matter.

Thank you for all your help I will leave the root as it is .
Joe914
ASTORIA, NY

April 28, 2014
10:45 PM

Post #9824834

themoonhowl wrote:The others look like they may be Haworthias. Click on a thumbnail to see the plant.

http://www.haworthia.cz/en/galerie-nahledy.php[/quote]

Thank you for that link it was very helpful I was able to identify my succulents with it.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2014
8:27 AM

Post #9825135

You are very welcome. Glad you found the link useful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America