Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: peat pots?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LauriSinger
Paddock Lake, WI

May 8, 2014
9:51 AM

Post #9833138

I've started my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers etc in a heat tray, and transferred them to peat pots when they got too big. Now they are hardening off outside in a mini plastic greenhouse, and I should be able to plant them in a week. Do I put the peat pot right in the ground, or take them out of the pot? I guess the question is, will the roots grow right through the peat pot? (For the future, is there a better way to do this?)
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2014
12:44 PM

Post #9833340

I usually cut the bottoms off, & then plant into the ground. These peat pots don't always dissapate for me.
Dragunov79
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 8, 2014
10:17 PM

Post #9833826

How I usually do it is soak the peat pots in a shallow tray of water while you are preparing the planting hole(s). When the plant is ready to go in the hole, the bottow of the pot (and how ever much of the sides you want to remove) can be torn off easily. Just be careful of the roots and make sure all the seed starting mix in the pot doesn't crumble on you (which it shouldn't, because being wet helps with that also).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America