Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Forest Gardening

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 0, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jmikulecky

jmikulecky
Lucas, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2014
1:42 PM

Post #9838779

Patience, patience, patience... I keep having to repeat to myself. See three years ago we purchased an old farmhouse in Kansas that had just under an acre. Wasn't much of anything. The soil was dead (modern american horticultural practices, yuck... but that is a whole different topic). Since we moved in its been a long process. We knew we wanted a Forest garden. Step one plant the future canopy level while simultaneously preventing the further erosion of the precious top soil layer.

The canopy level will primarily exist of varying species of Phyllostachys bamboo. It's fast growing, edible, and since we heat our home with a wood stove it will also serve as a high BTU fuel source. Not to mention when full grown and developed it will help protect our yard and home from wind and storm damage (seriously tho I have seen Bamboo handle hurricane force winds like it was nothing). This is a waiting game, I need patience while it grows and spreads and begins the process of terraforming our yard. Did I mention when said and done, this should bump us into a different growing zone while providing us with precious biomass for the compost. Now we are also planting Aspen, Paw Paws, Apricot, Juniper (well this was a sickly transplant I just had to save), Blue Spruce (same as the Juniper), Sichuan Pepper trees, and possibly a cold hardy banana.

We have also been planting the shrub layer, revitalizing the properties existing lilacs bushes that sat unloved for over ten years. I even cut and cloned the neighbors white blooming lilacs and they successfully rooted. Enter Wisteria, Purple leaved plum hedge, and forsythia some of our shrub layer.

In the meantime for two years now, we have mulched, innoculated (mushrooms), composted, and seeded (yes we have been cultivating a lawn which will consist of alfafa and rye). Finally its starting to pay off, the yard is looking greener, barren eroded spots are filling in while at the same time giving me much needed biomass for the compost bin to feed the plants again.

We hope to add vermiculture, chicken and rabbits to the mix in the near future. Now I know this is a longer running project but I am just having a blast with it.

So what do you all think? :)

This message was edited May 15, 2014 1:53 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America