This Is What I Built For Seedlings

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

My DH wanted to reclaim his barbeque I was using for a nice three tiered shelf to harden off seedlings. I gave it back to him and built myself a four shelf system to harden off and hold seeds before planting. It was worth the effort...looks good and functional. I hope you like it!

Thumbnail by Mipii
Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

You did a fabulous job! Two thumbs up! :-))

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Awesome rack!

I love the way it slopes back so the front row can be tall and get full sun, but there are partially shaded areas for smaller seedlings. Great design!

Thanks PAgirl and Rick! I stole inspiration but the design is indeed mine. I thought I'd have to build two, one for shade and one for sun...turned out the design accommodated both.

Lol, "awesome rack"...(enough said).

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

:-)

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Robin, that's beautiful! My turn to be inspired by you. :~) I have a minuscule back "porch;" going vertical would surely help. Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks Turtles, one good turn deserves another. It has a smaller footprint than a barbeque. I'm building a shelving system for grow lights right now...hoping to play with the big boys soon!

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

You go; show those boys how it's done!

Yeah...with a little help from my friends, DG has been such an inspiration! I have every intention of becoming a gardener...I'll let you know when I think I've made it. Next is a cold frame, with or without shower doors, I should really use some replaced windows I have already...but those shower doors keep calling me.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Mipii, I'll take two of those. Awesome. I wish I had the skills for DIY projects like this.

Shorty, if I can do it...you can too. It just takes some planning and a good helping of focus. I can help guide, if you'd like to try.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, me too. Skills we have are just skills we didn't used to have. And skills we don't have are just things still out there to learn.

I don't think we've evolved to the point where there's an instinct for using a hole saw!

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

13Turtles you're right it's a learning process. I build computers and have rebuilt the engine to an old VW. I just haven't learned the wood thing yet. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

All in how to relax while feeling comfortable doing concentration construction ,
Mipii )Robin is now doing the "lots of good ideas to share thing"
I like it , wish I had a place to set a few .
When I first saw it , I thought ,, "Hey! A Fancy Cucumber Ladder "

Thanks for sharing Robin ,, that's a fun useful idea !^_^

I made it out of cedar to weather better Ju, It can also fold for storage. I could have easily made a cuke ladder if I eliminated the shelves and put rungs instead...and used 1X2's for the side rails.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey robin, did you design it yourself? I'm impressed with the folding up, well, really the whole thing. :~)

Thanks so much for all the kind words.

There was a growing trug (ladder style) on Gardeners Supply I got inspiration from and changed it to accommodate my specific needs. Instead of fabric flower boxes, I made shelves to house 1020 trays and changed a couple other things. I'd have to take out a few bolts but it can store somewhat flatter.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Ahh, bolts. Lovely things aren't they. Kudos to you Robin!

We built a double wide light yesterday. I call it the airplane hangar.

Good for you Turtles...aptly named too, lol! Yes bolts with nuts and washers, great for semi permanent applications.

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

I love it. It's so much fun to make stuff.

Yeah Marty, almost as much fun as using power tools..roh, roh, rohr!

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL, you betcha! So satisfying.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.