Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Soil and Composting: Compost Poison Ivy?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 2, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2014
7:42 PM

Post #9841821

I'm pretty good at composting, and can keep a nice hot 140*F+ pile going. I know not to burn poison ivy, but I also don't know what to do with it. Since I have moved to The South, I am imagining that any property that I buy will at best have a mild infestation. I know that hot composting will break down a lot of toxins and such. Also concerned that woody stems might not break down enough and will continue to produce the dreaded rash even after going through a compost cycle. Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2014
8:20 AM

Post #9843049

I wouldn't trust it. I am highly allergic to poison ivy and each year I get it it is worse and the dr said it will get worse each time I get it. Caught it within 24 hours last year and still had to have 2 steroid shots. Not worth the hassle. If you are not allergic you can become allergic to it. It is the oil in the plant and I am not sure oils break down enough

I use nitrile gloves and pluck the small plants and pull off the glove inside out as I drop in the garbage.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2014
6:21 PM

Post #9848250

I would not trust it either. I agree with "ilovejesus99' that I carefully remove it and I actually put it in the garbage. Good riddance! There's plenty more out there, LOL

If you really don't want to trash it, I guess pull it, let it dry out and die, stuff the stems somewhere way out of the way that you'll never touch- but that's a lot of effort. Just trash it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America