Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

Compost Poison Ivy?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm pretty good at composting, and can keep a nice hot 140*F+ pile going. I know not to burn poison ivy, but I also don't know what to do with it. Since I have moved to The South, I am imagining that any property that I buy will at best have a mild infestation. I know that hot composting will break down a lot of toxins and such. Also concerned that woody stems might not break down enough and will continue to produce the dreaded rash even after going through a compost cycle. Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I wouldn't trust it. I am highly allergic to poison ivy and each year I get it it is worse and the dr said it will get worse each time I get it. Caught it within 24 hours last year and still had to have 2 steroid shots. Not worth the hassle. If you are not allergic you can become allergic to it. It is the oil in the plant and I am not sure oils break down enough

I use nitrile gloves and pluck the small plants and pull off the glove inside out as I drop in the garbage.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I would not trust it either. I agree with "ilovejesus99' that I carefully remove it and I actually put it in the garbage. Good riddance! There's plenty more out there, LOL

If you really don't want to trash it, I guess pull it, let it dry out and die, stuff the stems somewhere way out of the way that you'll never touch- but that's a lot of effort. Just trash it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.
BACK TO TOP