Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Instructions for indoor mimosa, sensitive plant seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 5, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
danesnpits
Aberdeen, SK
(Zone 2a)

May 22, 2014
8:20 AM

Post #9845989

I have tried twice, failed both times. I managed to get some to germinate, but they don't survive. They droop over, and that is it. Anyone have advice on how to do this properly, from light or dark periods, soil to use etc etc. Thanks!

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2014
11:00 AM

Post #9847924

I bet they would do well wintersowed. They grow wild in my field, so I would guess (guess being the key word here) from the natural conditions here, that they would be happy in sandy soil, drier than most would tolerate. Not sure that applies to germination though, hope it helps a little. Have you ever transplanted this plant? I'd like to pot up a little for my 3 year old, he loves to make it go to "sleep" :)

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2014
11:04 AM

Post #9847929

This is the plant I'm referring to, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2573/

Some pics I took of it, awake and then asleep..

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

danesnpits
Aberdeen, SK
(Zone 2a)

May 25, 2014
8:31 PM

Post #9849274

That is indeed the one! I did try germinate in sandy soil myself. And from what I had read, they germinate in the dark. Which they did, then they get taller and topple over, and dry up and that is it. So I guess I could try again but maybe use a different pot, or somthing I really don't know, but I do have the humidity dome tray's, lights and proper germination soil from what I gather. They are so pretty, I bet your son just loves his!

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2014
7:06 PM

Post #9851008

Yes whenever we go outside, he beelines straight for them! I'll be looking out for seeds soon so I can germ some in a pot for him to play with indoors. Good luck w yours, and if you want to try some more seeds in the future, shoot me a Dmail :)
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2014
1:17 PM

Post #9855465

It sounds like you might have damping off. Not sure of what your method was, did you remove the domes as soon as you got germination?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America