Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Growing Lemon Drop Torenias (in Mid Tn)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 18, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lisa42Tn
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2014
9:48 AM

Post #9846060

Hi. This is the first time Ive purchased Torenias. The tag says 4-8 hours of sun. I purchased them because I had read that they were a shade / partial late day sun plant. Seems that every website says something different. Right now I have a few in a pot that gets morn/afternoon sun and several others are planted in beds that receive a small amount of filtered sun later in the day. Wondering where theyre supposed to be planted?? I live in Mid Tn, close to Nashville. Summers are pretty hot and the sun can be scorching. Any advice? Thank You. (I only have 2 types of beds - two get partial filtered sunlight and the rest have full sun all day).

Thumbnail by Lisa42Tn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2014
10:10 AM

Post #9846083

Very pretty Torenias :)

Torenias are shade annuals. IMO they should not get afternoon sun at all. Filtered/dappled shade is a great environment and they should do fine in morning sun as well. I have grown them for a few years now since I refuse to plant regular impatiens. I usually mix torenia with New Guinea impatiens.
Lisa42Tn
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2014
5:53 AM

Post #9846769

Sequoiadendron4 Thank You for the reply. I appreciate it. I meant to write "partial late morning sun" flower. Not "late day sun". I guess thats what happens when you cant type as fast as your thinking. ha. The mix you suggest must be pretty. May have to do. Need a few more partial/shade plants! The ones I put in a pot by the back door are in morning sun and they are bigger than the shade ones. But I dont have any other places that only get a.m sun and doubt my husband wants to till up a new bed! Hopefully the shade plants will catch up on growth. Guess I could feed em Miracle Grow. Thanks again for the info. Have a good day.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2014
5:55 AM

Post #9846770

Surely, anytime! Happy gardening :)
dannyboy91
North Brunswick Town, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2014
8:58 AM

Post #9860754

Wow, that is a beautiful flower! I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you but it seems you just got the best advice anyway :-)
Just had to reply though after seeing that pic. It's gorgeous! I love the color contrast, what a nice flower. Every time I see something new or something I like I want to plant them, I think if I don't stop I will turn over my entire yard, lol!
Well, keep on growing that looks great! Best,
Danny

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2014
9:02 AM

Post #9860757

That's ok dannyboy, grass is overrated anyway :) That's what they make public parks for!
Lisa42Tn
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2014
6:41 AM

Post #9866094

DannyBoy91 Thanks for the message!! It is a pretty little flower. Ive never seen this type before. I cant believe they come in so many colors. Im going to have to have my husband make some more shade beds! Im sure he'll love that. ha. I agree with Sequoiadendron4..."grass is overrated...". Besides, that would mean less to mow! ha. Thanks again. Have a good day.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

July 14, 2014
1:56 PM

Post #9893584

Lias42Tn, That is a beautiful and unusual color Torenia ,I have the purple and white one and they have been reseeding for me for 2 years now, They were planted in full sun and every year the pot is crowded with seedlings.I transplanted them everywhere I find a spot .These are last year pictures, #1 is mixed with snaps #2 is the pot in full sun where they reseeded, #3 are ones I gave to my neighbor.

Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

July 14, 2014
2:00 PM

Post #9893587

Forgot that I have pink and white too.
Lisa42Tn
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2014
9:45 PM

Post #9909715

cytf I am so sorry Ive taken this long to reply!! I love your purple and white Torenias! I bet the pink and white is also pretty. I planted some in a pot that gets morning sun and then indirect sun the rest of the day. These are huge!! The ones I planted in a bed gets indirect light throughout the afternoon, but mostly shade. These plants have barely grown. In fact they look pitiful!! Do you know how to save the seeds from these flowers?? I would love to have some for next year, especially if I dont have to buy them!! Thanks again. Have a good night.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2014
1:57 AM

Post #9909751

If I may ask, where did you buy them, Lisa42?
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 5, 2014
6:59 AM

Post #9910728

Hi Lisa42Tn, I have seeds that I can send to you . I collected them when the petals fall off and the capsule dries. Send me a DMail so you can have them in time for next year,
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 6, 2014
11:05 AM

Post #9911700

Hi Cville-Gardener, I bought them a while ago at Lowes.
Lisa42Tn
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2014
8:00 AM

Post #9914513

Cville_Gardener Hi. I got them at Needhams Nursery here in Mt Juliet. Theyre family owned/operated. Have you heard of them? Have a good day!
Lisa42Tn
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2014
8:03 AM

Post #9914515

Cytf Hi. Will do. By the way, do you have to wait until the seed pod falls off or just dries out to collect seeds? Have a good day!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2014
8:04 AM

Post #9914516

No, I haven't. Looks like a neat place!
Lisa42Tn
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2014
8:09 AM

Post #9914524

Cville_Gardener and cytf Im sorry about not seeing your post until this morning. I thought I had my account set to notify me but maybe I did it wrong. Ive been having problems with my gmail app. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled a few times this week but its still messed up! Dont know what else to do...unless I go back to the old gmail app. Just wanted to let you know I wasnt ignoring messages. Hope you both have a good day.
Lisa42Tn
Mount Juliet, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2014
8:14 AM

Post #9914528

Cville_Gardener I wrote about them someplace in the "Products and Sources"...I think. This site has so many different things that sometimes I cant remember where everything is or how to get back to a post!! ha.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2014
8:16 AM

Post #9914530

I know what you mean. Thanks for the info.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America