Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Skunk Problems

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2014
5:36 AM

Post #9847636

Hello,

The last few nights some animal has been doing tons of digging around our yard and in our gardens. I thought it might be a skunk and it was confirmed last night around dusk when I saw it digging in the yard. Now it doesn't do enough to damage anything, just to annoy. The exception being in my front perennial bed where each night there is a tremendous hole, which I subsequently fill in the next day. Yesterday I filled it in and sprinkled red pepper flakes and black pepper over top of the hole as a deterrent. So last night the little jerk said, ha! I see your deterrent so I'll dig around it! Yeah, luckily I haven't put plants in there yet but I was going to do it tomorrow and I'm not trying to have them dug up. Any suggestions??

Thanks.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2014
6:21 PM

Post #9849159

Thank the skunk for rototilling your soil for you. From a distance!

I would think the same deterrents that keep cats away would keep skunks away.

Perhaps putting some mesh (plastic or wire) over the soil until you are ready to plant, then setting it back down after you plant?

Skunks are not the best climbers, perhaps a low fence? We kept them away from our bee hives by leaving the hives on our flatbed trailer, about 30" high. Hives on the ground were attacked.

Why is the skunk digging? Eating grubs or things? Get rid of the grubs (or whatever they are eating)

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2014
6:49 PM

Post #9850112

I'm not sure why it would be digging. That soil is very very rich and there would be no grubs on for at least the frst 6-8 inches of soil. Underneath that though, there is a decaying stump but even that is probably mostly gone. So I've pretty much tried everything about now. First, milorganite, then the pepper flakes and black pepper, then Repels All, then, LOL, my own urine, and came back every time. My plan for tonight is to leave the hole alone and see if it comes back. I didn't fill it back in this morning like the other mornings. I'm thinking that it could be a rabbit maybe and if so, maybe she'll have her kids there. Not sure but hopefully not recovering the hole helps. We'll see.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America