Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: New here but frustrated with Garden

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mikie1856
SHOHOLA, PA

May 28, 2014
8:13 PM

Post #9852066

I have Garden out in Ohio moved here N. E. PA having a hard time until this year, planted tomato plants 2 weeks ago and I have 3 tomato's on the vine, I think I have my problems solved, be we will see I have been doing allot of testing, but for now Hello everyone what do you guy think of my plant?

Thumbnail by mikie1856
Click the image for an enlarged view.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2014
8:28 AM

Post #9854285

They're a bit small to have any fruit on them. I'd actually pinch any blooms and let the plant continue to grow rather than use its energy to feed tomatoes.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2014
1:19 PM

Post #9854518

I do the same as Stephanie as that's what the "tomato" experts recommend. It's best to give the plants a chance to get established (get good root growth and structure) and allow the plants to get bigger, before they go into the reproductive stage. I know it's hard to do but if my plants bloom and set fruit that soon after planting out I pinch them, they will bloom again in about 3 weeks and by then the plants should be able to ready.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2014
8:10 AM

Post #9856375

Nothing to be disappointed over. I agree pinch the flowers. I would hill the dirt up over the bottom two leaves. To do so will encourage more roots. More root is beneficial to fruit development. I would imagine gardening is different between Ohio and pa. Keep a firm grip and you will get there.
mikie1856
SHOHOLA, PA

June 3, 2014
4:37 AM

Post #9857232

eweed, there is 12" underground already how munch more can i give them, when I planted them right up to their necks and clipped the lower branches off, I really think the soil was depleted of all nutrient, this is what I have been working on, in the pass 2 years, I have made compost for the last 2 years, I put 10" of compost down this year, the compost is made from leaves, Grass, hay, horse manure, plus worms, I now have a worm farm where I am composting, plus I keep the compost covered and keep it most plus turning it over every week the next batch of compost is on the way and it is already full of worms, I will end up with 32 cubic feet of compost, I am also make another batch of compost this weekend and add another pile, now to get back to the soil I think it was missing Potash, Boron, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Zinc, now that I have replaced it through composting, the Garden is giving me a totally new reaction and I am pleased with the outcome so far, I am now expanding the Garden with box Garden's of 4 X 8 X 12" beds, have any of you guy's use that 7' high deer fencing, if so how did it workout?
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2014
7:38 AM

Post #9857420

Didn't know you clipped and planted deep I just looked at the plant and assumed it was not deep. My garden boxes are 12 and 24 inches deep. I like the 24 inch ones best aaaaand thinking next season they will be 36 inches,

Sounds like your compost is a good choice and good that you have the worms. good luck

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2014
7:56 AM

Post #9857451

You might also want to feed your soil with some good organic fertilizers such as compost tea, liquid fish emulsion or liquid seaweed, and both dry and liquid molasses. I usually add 1 oz of compost tea, fish emulsion, and liquid molasses to a hose end sprayer and spray my garden weekly. It's good for the plants and it's good for the soil. Above all, though, tomatoes like warm temps. If your overnight temps are cool and your soil is cool, then tomatoes will not be happy and they'll kinda stagnate and not grow. Do you have a planting calendar for your area?
mikie1856
SHOHOLA, PA

June 3, 2014
7:44 PM

Post #9858203

stephanietx, I would love to use a Fish emulsion but the Bear's would rip up the Garden and eat the dirt, compost tea I do know how to make without the fish but I have to wait until the sweet smell is gone.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2014
9:29 AM

Post #9861516

Mikie - The plants look healthy. We're in Kansas and the temps are running cooler this spring. Until the weather starts getting warmer you might try row covers over the tomatoes to keep it little warmer for the tomatoes.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2014
4:31 PM

Post #9861882

Compost tea will work well. Add some liquid molasses and you'll be even better.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2014
7:34 AM

Post #9865185

Well, doubt 7' would work on a determined bear, and the deer are much larger than Texas cousins. We have better luck with a water sprayer with infra red vision to spray them when the critters get close. Your tomatoes are doin just fine and you have worked hard on it, temps are cooler this year- I am sitting in Allentown and thinkin about finding a jacket...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America