Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Oops! Plants growing together

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
teainthegarden
Quebec
Canada

May 29, 2014
11:33 AM

Post #9852566

Any suggestions, please, as to the best way to separate these?
I don't even know what one of them is. (I'll post it in plant ID)
Thanks for your help!

Thumbnail by teainthegarden   Thumbnail by teainthegarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 29, 2014
4:39 PM

Post #9852865

I'm making a guess here BUT the plant with the lace cut leaf looks very like the herbaceous Geranium and the close up picture of the strappy leaves look like one of the onion family BUT when I looked at the pic that was further back from camera lenz, the strappy leaves looked like grass.

Maybe someone else can give other ideas.

To separate the plants, use your garden fork, (about 6-8 inches out from the plant STEMS so lift the foliage up to find the stems exiting the soil) sink fork way down, you may have to actually stand on fork to get depth, anyway, do this all the way around the plant and then as you place the fork in again, use a lifting movement, this should allow the plants to begin to rise, keep gently going round the clump unto the plant and roots are free.
Lift the plant in hand, shake dirt away, then look at roots to see where the plants can gently be tugged apart, you might have to use a bit of power in your hands to tug BUT make sure you don't break the foliage away from the roots.
Once parted, check there are no bits of roots from different plants left.
Dig a hole and replant, make sure you water well especially in warm / hot weather, IF you can I would add compost or other type of humus to planting area to help enrich the soil at planting and it helps add air, nutrients and retain a little moisture around the roots.
Long drawn out but hope it helps you out.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.
teainthegarden
Quebec
Canada

May 30, 2014
6:27 AM

Post #9853323

Thanks! That's a big help!
teainthegarden
Quebec
Canada

June 3, 2014
11:17 AM

Post #9857635

[quote="WeeNel"]... the close up picture of the strappy leaves look like one of the onion family BUT when I looked at the pic that was further back from camera lenz, the strappy leaves looked like grass. [/quote]
It should be the Siberian Iris (??) someone gave me last year, maybe the geranium weed was with it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America