Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
903ASP
Cuba, NY

May 29, 2014
6:36 PM

Post #9853016

Hi guys. I have a couple of question concerning the milkweed plants i planted last year. Don't remember the exact name of plants, but i bought them for my zone ( 4-5 ). They came in great, but unfortunately, for the first time in my life, i had, nor did i see, any Monarchs :( Hoping for better luck this year :) My first question: Aren't last years plants supposed to be sprouting some greenery by now? Second question: Saved the seeds from last years plants, and planted them about a month ago, after frost possibility was over, and i see no sprouting from them either. Am i worrying too early, or are the plants/seeds a lost cause?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2014
4:09 PM

Post #9853822

Milkweed plants can produce zillions of flowers and no seeds. Zillions of seeds and no plants, Seriously. ZILLIONS. If you get a bloom that does make seed, you have hit the 1in a million chance to get another. Monarchs have gone for the season, it was much earlier in the year, but they will be back. Have faith, keep on tryin those diff milkweeds too!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2014
4:14 PM

Post #9853823

I see tons of these around Ks/Mo/Ok growing. Not a seed pod swelling anywhere.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

903ASP
Cuba, NY

May 30, 2014
10:36 PM

Post #9854054

Well, i had quite a few pods on my plants last year Kitt, and gave some to my neighbor, and kept, and planted seeds from the ones i kept. As i said though, not only haven't i seen any seed sprouts, i also don't see any greening on plants that grew great last year? I don't think i can try many others, as my zone is pretty cold in winter. In fact i had days of 16-20 degrees BELOW zero...not too comfortable...lol. Not sure what you mean by Monarchs are gone? They don't arrive here, in the Southwest of NY, until late June-July?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2014
6:31 AM

Post #9854206

I am in Texas- many stay- but most migrate. Yup NY had some cool spots this winter- i was in Green Bay most of the winter. I drive 48states, but I havent seen Monarchs yet this year either. A few bf are all I am spotting anywhere. Dont give up- it may just need more heat. Pictures would help.
903ASP
Cuba, NY

May 31, 2014
9:05 AM

Post #9854346

Knowing the story, and plight of the Monarchs, i'm not sure they'll recover. If they have, they should be coming up from Mexico, through TX, but you don't sound optimistic, if you haven't seen any yet? I certainly hope you see them soon. That's why i'm concerned about not seeing any milkweed growth. Would like some food for them, and plants to lay their eggs on. I'd gladly post pics, but i have nothing there, but last years stalks :( Did order some seeds that are supposed to grow well in my zone ( Asclepias Speciosa ), but if i knew mine weren't going to make a come back, i would have ordered them much sooner, and started them inside. Hopefully i, as well as the Monarchs, will luck out :)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2014
3:20 PM

Post #9854612

Every year is different, perhaps they simply need less traffic to deal with... I havent been in areas that have a lot of sightings anyway, and weather can change their routes. Good luck
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2014
11:44 AM

Post #9858914

If you try A. incarnata and A. syriacus, you might have better luck. Those did well in my garden in central OH (Z5.) Saved seeds may need to experience winter chilling before they will sprout, many seeds are that way.

Plants from here are supposed to have local provenance:
http://monarchwatch.org/blog/

You can track the migration here:
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/Maps.html

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2014
11:46 AM

Post #9858916

Spotted a gorgeous male Spicebush or two today, and I have located 3 cats on my fern leaf dill. Good signs there are a few left...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America