Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Itchy Eggplants

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2014
10:27 PM

Post #9854938

I like the flavor of eggplants a lot, but I seldom eat them because they give me an allergic reaction. My mouth and throat get real itchy for awhile, and that's not pleasant.

This year I'm growing the Ichiban variety for the first time (ha - "itchy", "Ichiban", I just noticed that). Ichiban is a Japanese eggplant that's elongated, not egg-shaped. I bought a couple of Bonnie Plant Farm plants which are growing well, and I've just looked up the variety on their web site.

One of the reviews there was written by a Japanese man who now lives in the U.S. He gives Ichiban a glowing review and he says it's the eggplant variety he grew up with in Japan. He also says he's allergic to "American" (round) eggplant, which make his throat itch, but he has no negative reactions when he eats Ichibans. Hmmm.

Now I've got some hope that I'll be able to enjoy these more. Does anyone here know anything about this?
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2014
10:50 PM

Post #9854945

Maybe Ichiban means it bans itching! chuckle.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2014
5:19 AM

Post #9855042

Actually it is Japanese for Number One. Great eggplant. sweeter and more tasty than the Black beauty Types. True for many of the Asian type eggplants.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2014
9:46 PM

Post #9857167

Be really cautious about trying things that give you such a reaction. The reaction can get more severe with each exposure, and it could result in an emergency room visit, or worse. :-(
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2014
6:21 AM

Post #9857329

"Be really cautious about trying things that give you such a reaction."
------------------------------

Yes, I know that the body's response to such things can change. I've been "immune" to the toxic oil of poison ivy all my life - I've always bragged that I could probably lay down in a patch of it and take a nap with no ill effect. No more, apparently - I had a small area of poison ivy rash pop up on my arm already this spring. I know now what folks complain about, that stuff itches like crazy!

I'll try the Ichiban eggplants carefully, but I'm hoping that (like the one reviewer experienced) there's something different enough about that variety that I'll be able to eat them with no problem. If not I'll be giving a bunch of eggplants away.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2014
1:56 PM

Post #9860049

Second the statement about reactions get worse with each exposure. You can get tested to see if it is an allergy.

I've not heard that there is an difference in allergy between eggplants types.Do you have problems with any of the other nightshade family?

I've had poison ivy reactions for the first time in a long time. Must be a worse spring for it.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 9, 2014
6:19 PM

Post #9863849

I plant ichiban every year, i have 9 ichiban and and 6 slicing for my eggplant parmesan .

I will give you recipes when you have fruits.

Belle

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2014
7:26 AM

Post #9865175

Yeah. You can tell when poison ivy goes virulent, this spring may be worse since so many things we are allergic to are happening at the same time. Ichiban are good- hope they do well for you. My favorites are the long ones Ping Tung and Louisiana long green EP. Chuckl hope everyones itches stay small

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America