Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: KEEPING SEEDS WET

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
barbaraparm
Harwich Port, MA

June 1, 2014
1:15 PM

Post #9855464

I am the landscaping person for my condo association. I have planted a lot of seeds throughout the complex, coneflower, zinnias, morning glory, just to name a few.
I'm going crazy trying to keep these beds wet so the seeds will sprout!! I know if they dry out at all, the seeds will die!
I give them a good soaking every morning & by late afternoon, the beds are dry again. Anybody have any suggestions on how to keep
these beds moist at least for the day until i go out the next day to water!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2014
5:51 PM

Post #9855703

Irrigation system with a drip-mist attachment and on a separate valve and a timer so it can come on several times per day.

Mulch with a fine organic matter. Not so deep the seeds cannot grow through it, but hopefully deep enough to retain a bit more moisture.

Shade the beds by propping some fabric up on short sticks. Remove it when the seeds are showing, which means they have sent their roots into the soil.

Next time sprout the seeds under more controlled conditions where you can monitor them often then plant the seedlings out when they can handle the drier conditions. You can get a head start this way, too, starting them while it is still too cool to plant them out.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2014
6:21 PM

Post #9855756

I direct sow almost everything and I try to keep the area damp but I don't stress about it and the seeds always seem to germinate. I find it much easier then transplanting seedlings that then need to be acclimated to their new surroundings. Remember if Mother Nature sowed the seeds they wouldnt have a watering schedule at all. Lol Some seeds ie Morning Glorys germinate better if soaked overnight, and just bc the soil doesn't look damp on the surface doesn't mean the seeds arent getting enough water under the soil.

I just don't have the time or energy to water my seeds many times but I always have great germination.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2014
3:45 PM

Post #9856796

How many different areas are you sowing seeds in, how are you prepping the soil and how big are the areas?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America