Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
horse727
Miami, FL

June 2, 2014
1:33 PM

Post #9856684

Well now I find that all my vegetables are drying up.
What its going on
I stopped the over watering and I sprayed withe vinegar and water.
Look at my pictures
help I need suggestions

Thumbnail by horse727   Thumbnail by horse727   Thumbnail by horse727   Thumbnail by horse727
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2014
9:16 PM

Post #9857154

Could the vinegar have been too strong? Sprayed on too-hot a day?
Some of the leaves look like they were sprayed with something that disagreed with them.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 3, 2014
3:53 PM

Post #9857954

You really have not given enough info re the plants health other than they are all dying and been sprayed with vinegar/watered, diluted.

The tomato's look like they have been struck down with a disease / mould, this is quite common with those more tender type of plants.
There are several reasons for this, either watering at the hot time of day and NOT enough air circulation around the plants.
Also there are other types of diseased caused by insects, these come visit the plants and are carrying some disease from other plants infected, or wind in some cases,

I'm not sure why you sprayed with a diluted mix of water / vinegar but maybe IF you could give further info, then better help could be passed onto you.
Hope this gives you some thoughts.
Kind Regards.
WeeNel.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2014
7:04 PM

Post #9858159

I've always heard vinegar being used as an herbicide so that would explain why the plants are dying. What are the temps in your area? Many people in Florida garden in the winter bc the summer is too hot.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2014
10:17 AM

Post #9858836

Vinegar is an herbicide. We use it to kill weeds, and any other grass/plant that your wanting to kill. Why would you be spraying veggies with vinegar?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 4, 2014
11:32 AM

Post #9858904

Vinigar is a long standing Antiseptic, healing and cleaning when diluted and used on humans, BUT used in the garden, it has to be used with care, I use it to clean all the glass and benches of my greenhouse, then use as a spray to wash the concrete flooring, use it to disinfect all the watering cans and then on a good spring day, get all the plastic trays, pots, tools and containers outside and fill an old baby bath filled with water and vinegar, so can you imagine what your plants felt like. one moment they are being over watered then drenched with a vinegar and water mixture.

I honestly think you need to either by more starter plants of Veg, or depending on where you live and the temp in your area, try starting off more seeds.
You would be best to go to the book store or local library to sit with books for beginners VEG growing, there you will find hints and tips for growing in your zone,
By the way, Tomato's and all other plants that have soft hairs on their foliage / stems, should NOT have a constant watering done onto the foliage, the hairs capture the droplets of water and it sits there helping mould, and other diseases to take hold.
Also IF your growing in HOT weather, you need to aim the watering onto the soil and leave the hose running for a good half hour either night time when weather is cooler or early morning before the heat sets in. the plants also need feeding maybe every week once the fruits / flowers start to open.

Hope this helps you out and you can get another crop done this season, try NOT plant in the same place or you can spread soil born diseases and the disasters can start off again.
Best regards.
WeeNel.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2014
9:11 AM

Post #9861504

It's hard to tell what might be wrong. I agree to stop using vinegar to spray the plants as you are most likely killing them with the spray. If it were me, I would likely remove the tomato and leave the other two plants in the ground. The other two plants look like they might recover.

Florida looks like it has multi planting seasons for tomatoes. So it maybe time to replant anyway. I agree with that the new plants should go in a different location. They should get rotated to a new location every planting season anyway.

Before you pull anything up take a couple of leaves from each plant and have someone local diagnose what they think is wrong with it. That someone can be either someone from the local extension office or a local nursery/garden center that sells only gardening plants and supplies.

There is a extension office in Maimi. Here is the section on home gardening. http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/lawn_and_garden/home_gardening.shtml

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America