AuthorContent
teainthegarden
Quebec
Canada

June 3, 2014
11:45 AM

Post #9857652

Hello,
I can't remember what was planted (friends filled my garden with perennials last fall but I didn't label them all) and today I saw this white stuff on it. It had old woody stems that also had this white stuff on it, but I cut those off and threw them away before this picture was taken. This looks like the same substance that was inside, the woody stems (I think) but I don't know how it would have ended up scattered around the plant like this (it was scattered before I cut them).
Any thoughts?
Thanks for your help!

Thumbnail by teainthegarden   Thumbnail by teainthegarden   Thumbnail by teainthegarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 3, 2014
3:34 PM

Post #9857929

IF there was wood cutting then I suggest this is the normal decaying of the wood left on the ground, also the wood chips that are spread onto the black plastic as ground cover, this will be decaying and rotting down also, it's natures way or composting the wood and any other dead stuff that is rotting down.

Maybe you need someone or your local officer to diagnose what this Mould is as some of those mould can spread causing further damage to tree's or other woody plants / shrubs that this creeping mould can reach.
There are some mushroom spores that develop from rotting tree or cause tree's to rot, the only sign you see long after the tree is about dead is, huge flat mushrooms growing on the bark, usually close to the bottom of the trunk but NOT always.

I would get the white stuff checked for your own health and your plants health too.
Hoe this helps you a bit.
Best regards.
WeeNel.
teainthegarden
Quebec
Canada

June 3, 2014
4:09 PM

Post #9857970

WeeNel wrote:Maybe you need someone or your local officer to diagnose what this Mould is as some of those mould can spread causing further damage to tree's or other woody plants / shrubs that this creeping mould can reach.
I would get the white stuff checked for your own health and your plants health too.
Hoe this helps you a bit.
Best regards.WeeNel.

I wouldn't even know how or where to have it checked... Guess I better start asking around. Until then, do you know any sites online that would help me figure it out?
Hmmm. I have a microscope I could look at it under -- except I don't know what I'm looking for...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America