Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: HELP!! Online Nursery: Montreal Plants/ Cappadocia

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 18, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Puppyvegas01
North Royalton, OH

June 6, 2014
7:50 PM

Post #9861204

I cannot find ANYTHING about this company and I do not want to fork over a few hundred dollars without knowing someone's track record... Every time I email the company asking questions, all I get is an email back asking for my phone number or to call them... Which sounds shady that they won't put anything in writing?! One time the guy must of called me 3 times to which I didn't answer.

Maybe they are just super nice... But I don't trust anyone other than my dog!

Has anyone ever heard of them??

http://montrealplants.com

Montreal Plants

Cappadocia & Page Landscape Designers
5024 Bessborough Ave.,
Montreal, QC H4V 2S3,

Lastly... Anyone know a good company that will ship 4-5 foot tall palms at reasonable prices... Realpalms.com is way too rich for my blood!

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2014
6:41 AM

Post #9861400

Trust you instincts.

You may have to settle for a smaller
plant and wait or it to grow taller.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2014
6:03 AM

Post #9862368

We've added them to the Watchdog here: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/8321/ but it may be a while before anyone who has ordered from them leaves a review.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2014
6:05 AM

Post #9862372

this is all i can find. http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/8321/

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2014
10:56 AM

Post #9862540

[quote="trackinsand"]this is all i can find. http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/8321/[/quote] ...and that just got added (by me) today, so obviously, no reviews yet.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2014
10:59 AM

Post #9862543

lol
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2014
12:02 PM

Post #9862575

It may be mute. Import regulations for plants between Canada and the USA are fairly stringent and many Canadian companies without a physical presence in the US will not ship to the US.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2014
2:06 PM

Post #9862665

FD, the poster is Canadian :-)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2014
5:41 PM

Post #9862867

i thought OH was Ohio...shows you what i know...lol

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2014
5:09 AM

Post #9863140

No, you're right - I read it as ON, and thought Ontario. My bad :-)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2014
6:14 AM

Post #9863221

that's okay...you're allowed! lol
Puppyvegas01
North Royalton, OH

June 11, 2014
4:20 PM

Post #9865647

Thanks for replying to this post... I appreciate everyone's advise!

It really irritates me that I've emailed the guy twice now... From two different emails. The most recent I clearly asked that he answer my questions and all I got was 'please give me your number and I'll answer your questions'... As someone with 15 years business management experience... I've learned you never put something in writting if your not 100% sure... Maybe that's why this guy won't answer questions via email?!

FYI... He goes by CoconutMike on Gardenweb.com... Very active and pushy trying to sell his palms!

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=Montreal+palms&searchfor=gw

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2014
5:15 PM

Post #9865682

since he already tried to called you three times, i think maybe i would have answered the phone to just feel him out.
is there a phone number that you can call him at his business? maybe the guy feels an email might not be enough to answer your questions, if you have more than one. also, sometimes emails take longer than a phone conversation when you're trying to go into detail on something like plants. maybe give him the benefit of the doubt and at least talk to him. you can always hang up if you think something is fishy.

i don't know what kind of palms you're looking for but have you ever looked at home depot or lowe's? even in missouri they have a remarkable selection of palms in the summer and they're cheaper and larger than i can buy here in florida at a nursery.
Puppyvegas01
North Royalton, OH

June 11, 2014
6:56 PM

Post #9865778

I know not answering the phone is kinda rude, but I spend all day talking and sometimes when talking to someone about buying something doesn't give me the time to 'think it through' and I end up buying something and regret it later.

I'm actually looking for a Chinese Windmill Palm that's 4-5' tall... They are cold hardy with protection over the winter months. Unfortunately Cleveland is behind the times on landscape design and even garden centers don't know anything about them. So I'm forced to try and find one online and have it shipped.

Last year I bought one that was 3-4' tall and beautiful! I still have it, but wanted to buy another one and the nursery I got it from doesn't sell them anymore and I'm having a hard time finding one that size now.

I'm about to take a road trip south and just freekin buy one! Ha!
tropicalohioguy
Cleveland, OH

June 13, 2014
1:32 PM

Post #9867166

Hello, I live in Parma and have 2 Chinese fan palms. They're not quite as tall as you're looking for but I bought them both locally this year. One from Marcs and the other from pettiti in strongsville. Victoria gardens on state has them too. I have quite the collection and all of them purchased locally. Just got an adonidia (Christmas Palm) from pettiti and I love it. Probably about 7ft tall. Hope I helped!

Thumbnail by tropicalohioguy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2014
3:43 PM

Post #9867295

one thing i wanted to clarify in my earlier post. the common name of 'Windmill Palm' refers to this genus: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=windmill+palm&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
but there is no common name of "chinese" in the name. just wanted to be sure you are getting the exact palm you want.
there is a 'Chinese Fan Palm' but that's something else entirely.
Puppyvegas01
North Royalton, OH

June 14, 2014
8:55 PM

Post #9868163

@tropicalguy... Thanks for the info! I went to Gales today and got a windmill for only $15... It was marked down from $30. I just want one that I can plant in the yard (protected obviously) and not really worry about it. I also got a Christmas Palm last year... About 7' tall and a triple trunk too! It's my favorite one thus far! If you come across a larger windmill... Please hit me up!

Thumbnail by Puppyvegas01
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 16, 2014
2:51 PM

Post #9869522

I don't understand the problem, IF the guy tried to phone and you then didn't answer the call, you can hardly criticise the guy or the company for MAYBE being a bit dodgy.

I would rather phone / Talk to someone to assess there attitude and knowledge on the subject, than read an e mail.
An email, you can be anything you want to be, you can be a straight up guy or a bank robber, there is nothing to tell you the person even works in the business. AND with the click of a button, you can buy anything from him because you like his emails, PHEWWWW.

By phone, you can ofcourse be anything / anyone, but after several minutes, there comes a point when your gut is telling you this guy is talking through a hole in his backside, so you say thanks for trying to help, I will think this through and get back to you,
IF you get pressure like "buy today" for a discount then NOOOO way are these genuine sellers interested in any aftersales or customer commitment.

You also have to take into account, the guy is probable extremely busy right now (GROWING SEASON) and is working outdoors rather than sitting at a computer looking through hundreds of emails .While outside, he has more than likely got a cell phone at fingertips so he doesn't loose orders and can answer faster by phone.

We should Not judge people by what we would do when they do things differently from our superior knowledge on how to run a garden / nursery, IF we were that good, we would not be bothering people about buying plants as we would already have them all LOL.

I would give the guy a call back and say there has been a breakdown in communication, have a list to hand, of questions you need answers to and don't deviate from that, make sure you tell them you are THINKING only about purchase, when satisfied with info given, say thanks and you will talk over with husband etc, and call back IF you both agree this is the Palm your after. You can even record the conversation IF your that worried.
Be assured, the palm wont be sold out over night so there's no need to make a fast purchase there and then.

Lastly it's always great to get a bargain but try to remember, a good quality plant full of health and is the size you need, is NOT going to be sold for the same price as a small Holly bush then please forget trying to get a full grown up palm for the price of a small holly bush, it takes years of care, re-potting, watering, sheltering, and constant looking after to get the palms ready for sales condition, so do try remember that these folks, or most, do a lot of work for love of plants, BUT they still have to eat, pay bills, educate their kids, maybe even mortgaged / loans up to their eyes for land etc, so they also have to earn a living just like you and I do. It's hard to put a true value on something like plants / tree's etc, but believe me, there is a lot of care given over many years to get a palm to reach the size your talking about and the first 4-5 years are the most likely loss making plants, due to survival /loss.

Hope you get your palm soon but don't be surprized IF you have to pay a good price for it.
Best of luck.
WeeNel.

tropicalohioguy
Cleveland, OH

June 18, 2014
1:34 PM

Post #9871204

Will do! But try pettitis. They weren't horribly priced. I think 24-34 bucks if I'm not mistaken

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America