Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Show us your Hibiscus ...

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 10, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2014
1:46 PM

Post #9862649

Show us your Hibiscus Flowers/bushes.

Tell us how they grow...(Tall or short growers, They like lots of hot sun or do not, They bloom lots or not, etc, etc).

If you have the name of your Hibiscus, great, if not, no biggy.

Thumbnail by LoveForests
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2014
8:25 PM

Post #9870682

Never mind, it was a silly topic and idea, LoL :]

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2014
2:50 AM

Post #9870781

No it isn't. I love Hibiscuses. It might get more attention in the Hibiscus forum though.

This is 'Luna Pink Swirl'.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2014
2:44 PM

Post #9872100

Awwwe, Cville... knew I must of put the topic in the wrong place. I am a moron, lol.
Too late now though, right?

Your 'Luna Pink Swirl' is so dainty with soft, tiny, light green leaves. So verrrry pretty :]
What an elegant Hibiscus.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2014
3:17 PM

Post #9872166

No, you're not. You might try it over there. It's whatever you want to do.

Thanks. LPS is one of my all-time faves.

brendak654

brendak654
Anna, IL
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2014
4:04 PM

Post #9893731

The sad part about the hibiscus is that the Japanese Beetles like them - too.

Here are some of my hibiscus. The white are the tallest - can get to about 5 foot. All three colors are winter hardy in my zone. I've had these for several years.

Thumbnail by brendak654   Thumbnail by brendak654   Thumbnail by brendak654      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2014
6:57 PM

Post #9893880

Brenda, ... Did not know Hibiscus could survive up north like that.
Did not know Japanese Beetles like hibiscus either. Do the beetles eat the leaves? Do you try to do anything about the beetles?
Thank you for sharing and your info :]
The white ones are so gorgeous!
Great photographs of your Hibs also :]
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

July 18, 2014
8:55 PM

Post #9897250

These are my Texas Star Hibiscus. They like regular watering and will get droopy when thirsty. Other than that, they are growing in sandy loam in my back yard and seem to spread easily. I've been told that the leaves look like Marijuana leaves but I have any Cannabis planted to compare. Both plants froze back to the ground in the winter but came back strong. Other than water, they are pretty maintenance-free. These are in partial sun and get 3-4 hours sun a day. Right now each plant has more than 20 buds that seem to open one at a time. The flowers are the size of saucers and the plants are over 6' tall.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

brendak654

brendak654
Anna, IL
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2014
4:51 AM

Post #9897369

LoveForests wrote:Brenda, ... Did not know Hibiscus could survive up north like that.
Did not know Japanese Beetles like hibiscus either. Do the beetles eat the leaves? Do you try to do anything about the beetles?
Thank you for sharing and your info :]
The white ones are so gorgeous!
Great photographs of your Hibs also :]

The Japanese Beetles do eat the tender leaves near the blooms and make the hibiscus ugly for a while. Can't wait for the beetle season to run its course. No, I usually do not try and control the beetle on the hibiscus. Our winter temps dipped down to zero this past winter and winter was about a month longer than the norm, but all the hibiscus that I have are back and as strong as ever.

Enjoy your hibiscus.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2014
4:17 PM

Post #9898653

I am astounded by the fact that Hibiscus are living through cold temps and coming back from it!! I never knew that.

OldWrangler, ... Your Hibiscus must be hardy as heck! They are beautiful. So much for the statement that Hibiscus are tropical, lol. ---- Yeah, I guess if the leaves have like 5 to 6 leaves and are thin, they may look like pot-leaves, LoL!
I have a total of four tropical/exotic hibiscus.planted a year and half ago, and they still are not 6 feet tall. Can not wait till they get taller. They really bring beauty to a yard.

I think you guys have the hardy Hibiscus, not the exotic Hibs. My exotic hibs would most likely not make it through those temps during winter.

Brenda, ... that would drive me nuts, lol. ------- I would be out there flicking those beetles with my finger. But, that's just me :]
I think the many "White Flies" (that I get on mine) do more damage to the buds than those beetles do to the leaves.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2014 2:00 AM

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2014
5:36 AM

Post #9899080

Mine are definitely Hardy Hibiscus. I'm seeing some Japanese beetles now. The most active part of the season will be over soon. Beetles are particularly active here in June and July. Treatment with Milky Spore is useful against them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America