-
AuthorContent
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2014
8:26 AM

Post #9864339

My head is spinning from all the information.

Hopefully someone can help me. I did not start sowing before last frost cause I am so busy, but can I start sowing seeds for perennials now?

Ex:
Shasta daisys
coneflowers

I don't care about blooms this year.
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 10, 2014
11:16 AM

Post #9864498

This is a great question. I have a similar situation with my schedule however we rarely have frost where I live.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2014
7:54 PM

Post #9864909

Well I think I am going to go for it and see what happens. Seeds are reasonably cheap. I have purchased perennials late like August and planted them and they did fine. Hopefully with the warm weather the seeds should pop and grow quickly. Our first frost doesn't happen until usually late October. I will just have to make sure they get watered all summer. I searched on the internet read a couple of articles that says you can plant the seeds in the garden soil in the fall and you will have blooms the second year. Think I will plant in pots now and overwinter the pots in raised beds.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

June 11, 2014
3:22 AM

Post #9865032

Of course you can start seeds over the summer.
Fall might be better in very hot climates.
I sow Biennials in June and July.
In cold climates, a good mulch will help the seedlings to winter over.
We can not always do gardening when it is supposedly, supposed to be done,
and must work around our own lives as best we can.
Experimenting is part of gardening too.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2014
6:36 AM

Post #9865136

Thank you. I was curious if anyone had done it and any tips to help with succuess.
Amylase
Saskatoon, SK
(Zone 2a)

June 12, 2014
11:00 AM

Post #9866262

Sure, sow in summer! I have sown as late as the first week in July with great success. You likely won't get blooms this year though. I find there is just too much to do in the early spring and I find it much more enjoyable sowing perennials now. I start them in small flats in my greenhouse and transplant them out into the garden when they are big enough to handle (maybe a couple of inches tall) and there is rain in the forecast.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2014
11:34 AM

Post #9866290

Perfect I didn't expect blooms this year, but sounds like next year would be wonderful. Thank you so much!

valal

valal
Natick, MA

July 29, 2014
10:34 AM

Post #9905719

Happygarden,

What did you plant? Are they coming up yet? I was curious about this also. I ordered some seeds for winter sowing (a new project for me) and then I wondered about how certain plants seed themselves and wondered if I could plant some NOW as an experiment. I also would love to hear anyone's input about sowing now directly in the garden. I dont care, either, if I dont get blooms this year (wouldn't expect it) but then I'm that much further ahead for next year, no??
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2014
10:45 AM

Post #9905725

I did start Shasta daises but honestly I am afraid to plant them afraid I won't remember to water them, so I think I will wait until things cool down before putting them in the ground. I am on a well so I don't water the gardens. You gotta be tough to make it here as a plant.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2014
5:58 PM

Post #9910358

Remember when Mother Nature sows her seeds - summer or fall - NOT spring. Some plants prefer it that way.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 5, 2014
6:41 AM

Post #9910699

I am sowing seeds of greens now for my September salads.
I did not get all the biennials sown, so will do more of those.
And still have delphinium seeds, so sowing those too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America